Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What are the best Dallas and Oklahoma City movie theaters?

Author Topic: What are the best Dallas and Oklahoma City movie theaters?
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-20-2003 10:57 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm asking for theater recommendations in the Dallas and Oklahoma City areas.

The Carmike 8 in my town is getting badly screwed on the allocation process against the Wallace Craphole 8 and will miss a lot of notable "summer movies." I found out my favorite local theater will miss "X-Men 2", "Matrix: Reloaded", "Bruce Almighty", "The Hulk", "Finding Nemo" and a number of other notable releases. That just sucks. I'm going to have to do a fair amount of driving if I want to see any of these shows with good presentation quality.

Usually, I would drive to Oklahoma City and watch a show at the AMC Quail Springs 24. But I'm really sick of that place with its echoey auditoriums and surrounds stuck up in the ceiling. Has anyone visited the Regal site at Crossroads Mall or Cinemark's operation off I-44 and MLK? What is really the best place in OKC to choose for watching movies?

I'm not as familiar with the Dallas market as I used to be. With the GCC Northpark 1-2 having been dead for years, I haven't had much incentive to drive 200 miles to check out other places. The last couple trips to Dallas have been to check out the Cinemark/TI DLP setup and Brad's very impressive screening room. Which theaters in Dallas are more likely to present "Film Done Right"?

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2003 09:49 AM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I moved away from the Dallas area in 1998, but I tend to still go see a movie there a couple of times per year, whenever I'm in town visiting family.

One good place is the UA Galaxy 9 (oops, I mean 10!) in Garland. However, it's probably not worth the trip if the film you want to see is not playing in one of the larger THX-certified auditoriums. Not necessarily one of the big monsters, but certainly not the super-small ones.

Presentation is usually quite good, although I did have one bad experience recently. I went to see "Gangs of New York" there on Christmas day 2002, and the film had a lot of base side scratches. It also looked as though all the janitors had the day off — the entire building was filthy.

Prior good experiences included seeing "Signs" earlier that year in one of the two "giant screen" auditoriums and being amazed at how good the sound was. It was also impressive seeing that huge screen actually lit to proper brightness from a thumbnail sized piece of film. I remember seeing "Star Wars Episode I" there years earlier and thinking it was a little too dim.

Moviegoing in Dallas will never be the same as when Northpark was still operating. It makes me sad sometimes when I open the Dallas paper's movie section and see it no longer listed. (I also miss seeing 70mm logos next to my old favorite theaters, but that's nobody's fault but Hollywood's.)

[ 04-21-2003, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Aaron Haney ]

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: