Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Looking for information about FM antenna "K-Factor"

Author Topic: Looking for information about FM antenna "K-Factor"
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-22-2003 12:56 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh and I have scoured the www looking for information about FM Antenna "K-Factor" and how it is calculated. We found nothing that really got into the nuts and bolts about it. Can anyone tell us about it or direct us to a link that we can use in studying FM Antennas?

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-22-2003 12:58 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FM Transmitter K-Factor

More general (not specific to radio): K-Factor

Here's one that looks pretty good: Radio Propagation Models. Scroll down to the "Rician factor" heading, about 1/3 way down the page.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-23-2003 12:26 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, David.

I also hope for more input. Sometimes it takes 3 ways of explaining something to me, and 10 pictures to understand it. [Smile]

Sometimes I have a difficult time trying to figure out what a text is trying to say, but when I see a picture relating to a gorilla text, it makes much more sense.

I guess I must have had too much PCB, Mercury, gasoline, Tulane, Trichloroethane, Stoddard solvent, lead, carbon arc ash, Brenkert Oil, Ozone, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and kerosene doses (along with a bucket of shit water out of the Manitowoc River that old man Lade drenched me with when I was jazzing around where I should not have been jazzing when I was a kid) that impaired my learning ability. Not to mention those "Merry-Go Around" devices that were at the local sewage plant in Manitowoc. Hell, I thought they were a free ride. (until my dad enlightened me) [Big Grin] [Eek!]

OK, laugh you guys...especially Don. It is a wonder that I am still here. [beer]

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 04-23-2003 01:07 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HAHA! I gotta check out those Merry go Rounds! [Smile] Hmmmm, maybe not.

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 04-23-2003 08:26 AM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee Paul.... I know exactly which Merry Go Rounds you are referring to! I don't know if they are still there since they updated the plant, but I do know the "fart catcher" is still there! As to Old Man Lade, I'm pretty sure he got his, and the rest of the family pretty much dissipated - I believe selling off his assets to the LeClair boys from Carptown. I don't believe the water in the Manitowoc River is as bad now, except maybe for Alewife season, although we have seemed to concentrate a lot of our shit on the riverbank between 8th and 10th on Quay Street! Of course I'm sure you know that many years ago (late 80's maybe) they removed the Rapids Dam, which was deemed very unsafe (however they then spent months trying to blow it out of the water), and now who knows what kind of crap comes floating down the river when it rains.....

Too bad when Rachel was here she didn't get to stay very long... I would have taken her out to see the submarine races!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-23-2003 02:38 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny thing about timing...I received this from Bob Maar, who gave me permission to use it in this thread:

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's or even the early 80's, probably shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.

We had no childproof lids or locks on medicine bottles, doors, or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets.

Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking .

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors!!!

We weren't overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one soft drink with four friends , from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into things a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. No cell phones. Unthinkable!

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes,no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms.

We had friends! We went outside and found them.

We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt. We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

They were accidents. No one was to blame but us. Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out any eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade. Horrors!

Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of parents bailing us out if we got in trouble in school or broke a law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the school or the law. Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers, and inventors, ever.

We had freedom, failure, success, and responsibility --- and we learned how to deal with it. And you're one of them! Congratulations.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-23-2003 03:22 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever happened to the Gool Ol' Days when the sex was dirty and the air was clean?

[Big Grin]

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2003 11:08 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always understood "K" factor was the degree of how a radio signal followed the earth. We used to have a program that would give graphical analasis to radio propagation between two or more locations and the K factor was 1.33 for anything under microwave. I have a Radio Engineers Handbook that has got some long hair shit in it and I will look up the exact meaning and post it later. This freaking book is 5 inches thick and has everything you ever wanted to know about designing radio systems and includes spacecraft or space communications.
Whew.

Riddle removed due to straying from the subject [Roll Eyes]

[ 04-24-2003, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Sam Hunter ]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-23-2003 11:21 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee Sam, this riddle has got to be somehow related to the thread...

could she be a transister?

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2003 12:54 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gee Sam, this riddle has got to be somehow related to the thread...
What’s this? An attitude or something? [Confused]
The lack of smileys prompts me to think that you are annoyed or something.
Yes, the answer was "A TRANSISTER"

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-24-2003 01:16 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just too lazy to type in the graemlins. [Smile]

I was actually poking fun at a few people who were complaining about other threads wandering off topic.

In any case, I was probably in a bitchy mood last night due to numerous software problems on a few systems I take care of. [Frown]

Or maybe I just miss my Brenkerts. [Big Grin]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-24-2003 02:27 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mind at all about the thread drifting off the subject. In fact, I probably caused it. It'll keep it alive longer in hopes that more people will respond to the orginal question. [Smile] [Wink] [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: