Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » New Version Of Chicago To Hit Theaters In July

Author Topic: New Version Of Chicago To Hit Theaters In July
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2003 03:44 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVD release to follow in August...

The DVD version of Chicago, which will feature extra never before seen footage, is set to hit stores on August 19th.

To help promote the DVD release, Miramax plans to release the new, extended version of Chicago in theaters sometime in July, possibly July 18th.

The added footage is rumored to contain a duet between Catherine Zeta-Jones and Queen Latifah called "Class."

Credit: Zap2It

I am assuming that this "rerelease" is only going to be in selected markets (at least I would hope so). Has any one else heard anything about this?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-14-2003 07:27 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Class" is on the soundtrack. I did not like the song myself.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2003 08:56 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to justify the song CLASS in the motion Picture, as Roxie Hart isn't even in the scene. I'll wait to see it on the DVD, though. I'm getting tired of these "extended"cuts. There usually was a reason they were cut in the first place!

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-15-2003 08:38 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not like Queen Latifah in this movie.

Before you judge "Class" you might want to give a listen to the Broadway album. The voices of Roxy, Velma and Mama Morten are waaaay more interesting and textured.

The song is hilarious, if done correctly. I've heard the song on the movie soundtrack CD and it's not good.

By the way, Mama's other song "When You're Good To Mama" was a let-down in the movie also. A lot of the lesbian inuendo in the song (and in the role) was severely downplayed.

Did I mention that I didn't like Queen Latifah in this movie?

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2003 12:59 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The July 18 re-release date is firm per the Film Releases website. Miramax will keep this re-release limited as there are 2 wide-release upmarket pictures that week (Johnny English) and the next (Seabiscuit).

IMHO the Weinstein family should have kept the bonus stuff for the DVD. That way it would be just like the new "Tricked Up" DVD for The Fast and the Furious. [Big Grin]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2003 07:01 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like this idea at all. It makes me wonder if they had this planned all along. Which is the proper version of the film, the first or 2nd one? What is the directors take on this?
This is almost as bizzare as the way some roadshow films used to be chopped down for general release. [fu]

This is the one things that makes me hate the fact that DVDs were created. We now have all these different versions of the same film, but which one is correct?

What a headache this will be for repertory houses in the future. I'm sure no one will know what version is going to play until the day of the showing when the cans arrive. Either way, there will be disapointed customers who wanted to see THEIR favorite version.

[puke]

Danny

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-15-2003 09:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't they include "scenes you WON'T SEE on the DVD" in the theatrical release? Think of all the Star-Wars-heads that would pay to see the next movie, who might otherwise wait for the DVD.

Then, they could release the DVD with still other "scenes you DIDN'T SEE IN THEATRES!"

They should do this for every major release. It would help the theatrical market but not hurt the DVD sales. More money for everyone.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-15-2003 10:54 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the re-release that made me most angry was "Spy Kids: Special Edition." What a joke. A lot of very angry parrents complained that they thought it was a sequal.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2003 12:16 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miramax has apparently canceled the re-release of Chicago. The likely reason is that there will be a steady flow of current upmarket/arthouse product starting this week.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2003 08:44 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CHICAGO opened in sub-run last week in Central Ohio. One of the few times I've seen a display ad for a $.50 theatre.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: