Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Equipment classifieds: cart machine (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Equipment classifieds: cart machine
William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2003 01:03 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, what the HELL do you want with a cart machine?

And why an ITC, when the Spotmaster with that funky lever to arm it is more satisfying to crank around with?

Do you know how carts proliferate?
NO, OF COURSE NOT, because you are in an area to which kudzu has not spread to give you an understanding of inescapability of being overwhelmed. You will get 2 carts, the next thing you know you will have too many, then you will have MILLIONS, you will be WADING through them in your room, the kitchen, the garage, picking them out of your hair, your nostrils, ALL ORIFICES, slinging them out windows, flushing them, calling your friends "please help help come pull these carts out of my orifices, they keep crawling up I can no longer go to the bathroom", not fast enough, no use, always more, more, more like Andrea True wheezed.

Just out of high school & already smoking crack! You don't need that junk like crack, crystal meth, cart machines, X, K, or silly nonfunctional fiberglass things pop riveted on a little car! Do your parents know you want a cart machine?

|  IP: Logged

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2003 01:16 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good thing he didnt ask for a reel to reel.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-15-2003 02:41 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez William [Eek!]

Josh is working with some smaller radio stations and does have a need for those machines. Just like projection equipment, what may be junk to one person is just what the doctor ordered for another. [thumbsup]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-15-2003 03:38 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Brad... and there are still PLENTY of R2R tape machines in use in little and big stations as well as recording studios.

Josh:
You might try Broadcast Service Company for that recorder. I think they're located in Dallas or somewhere in Texas.

Another I've delt with is Broadcast Equipment Company here in SoCal. Both companies have a ton of used equipment and I've had good luck with them in the past. They even run sales sometimes so get on their mailing lists.

If you don't specifically need that mfg & model machine, there are some cool floppy-disk & HD Spot R/P's on the used market at very resonable prices.

Also, a web search for "Used Broadcast Equipment" may help you locate a supplier.

>>> Phil

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-15-2003 04:41 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject: if anyone comes across the manual for a Broadcast Electronics 3200RP cart machine, I'd be interested. I am not paying BE the $50 that they are asking for one, when all I really care about is the pinouts for the automation connector. An alignment cart would be nice, too. I'd also like the service manual for an Otari MX-5050BII-2 tape recorder, if anyone has one lying around, although I haven't actually tried to get one from Otari yet (hopefully their prices are more reasonable). Too bad there's no "Radio-Tech" equivalent to F-T where I can just download this stuff.

(No, I'm not smoking crack, and I'm willing to bet that Josh isn't, either.)

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2003 06:14 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought he wanted it for the house or something. He didn't say. Looked like he was cracking up.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-15-2003 12:45 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean, he already has two reel-to-reels. [Smile]

William, I already sent him 40 carts, and I have another 45 ready to send him. [Smile]

Carts are cool. [Smile]

As far as the cart deck with the gear shift knob....HAH! I wouldn't give 2 cents for. We have one in storage....that thing must weigh 60 lbs. Next step is the dump. [Big Grin]

However, I have a few BE "triple stackers" - and I am trying to land one of those for Josh. I think they are more stable than the ITC. Besides, I have some remnants to ITC's stripped to the bone, but they are older models. Josh, I'll see if the heads are still there, and if they are, you should have enough to give the ITC a head job, especially the one that has the goofy wear pattern.

Scott, email me on the 3200 manual as a reminder. I think I know where I might be able to get one.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-15-2003 01:57 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved ITC 3D's. But, I agree, I think the BE unit was slightly more reliable.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2003 02:33 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sean, he already has two reel-to-reels.

If he had a Scully 280B, he would only need one, & he would throw dynamite at it as he rolled it down a cliff.
http://www.stationengineer.com/scully_280b_2-track.htm
I keep coming back to that page just to look at those things & raise my blood pressure. Look at that classic chip from the face of the formica on the front of the cabinet of #2! Think of how many knees have been gored & chipped by that thing!

quote:
As far as the cart deck with the gear shift knob....HAH! I wouldn't give 2 cents for. We have one in storage....that thing must weigh 60 lbs. Next step is the dump.
No! No! You must have a Spotmaster, & a C cart. Then, you get an instrumental version of "Theme From A Summer Place" & dub it 400 times to tape & splce them all together so it starts & runs without an end for hours. Then, you dub that to cart without a stop tone, & you get the 60s & early 70s all over again: Theme From a Summer Place running ENDLESSLY, & when it FINALLY stops, it just starts right up again! That's what put people on Miltowns, sent them up water towers with rifles, & made them crank up distorted guitars to drown it out!

quote:
I'd also like the service manual for an Otari MX-5050BII-2 tape recorder
The MX-5050BII manual is fat with foldout pages, do you need anything particular from it? I'd say check eBay; Otari hardware & manuals trickle through there.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 07-16-2003 10:47 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got mine from work at the radio station, as they had 6 or 10 of those machines and they all had a manual. Try that first, you might get one for free.

quote:
X, K, or silly nonfunctional fiberglass things pop riveted on a little car!
HEY!! are you mocking my luggage rack [Wink]

Josh

[ 07-17-2003, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: Josh Jones ]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-22-2003 12:36 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I have a manual on the MX-5050BII Otari, but I can't let it go. If you need some pages, I'll scan or xerox them and send them to you.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-22-2003 01:30 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spotmaster [puke]

Telex must have sold 637 billion decks for companies that were too lazy to do it themselves. Ummmmmm.... Sparta is another one that comes to mind. Tapecaster? Yep... there's the "A" team! Bias cards with no adjustments [Razz]

Give me an ATC, McCarta or a MacKenzie Repeater any day!
 -  -

Even an old Gates deck could be tossed out of a remote truck at 55 & not hurt it much!

The BE stuff was pretty good though... especially before really decent 3rd party cards came out for ITC. That was too bad, cause ITC decks are pretty good.

Anyone remember the Gates ST101?

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2003 02:17 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could throw anything by Gates out of a moving vehicle & do more damage to the underlying rock structure in the earth!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-22-2003 05:33 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Paul, but I think I'll just order the thing from Otari, since I don't have any immediate need.

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2003 02:47 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you ought to visit www.8trackheaven.com
Telex used to make a carousel type cart changer that played
twelve 8 track tapes.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: