Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Miramax to release "KILL BILL" in two parts (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Miramax to release "KILL BILL" in two parts
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2003 04:27 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the link:
Click Here

Basically, instead of a three hour film, they will release part one on Oct 10 and the second is to be determined.

Trailer didn't look that good to me, but then again, I haven't liked other Tarantino films.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2003 08:49 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one way to soak the dollars out of the audience. I'm very much against this and it might keep me from spending my money on this picture.

I'm sure the Tarantino-aholics out there will be out in force, though.

Speaking of force, this looks like an idea George Lucas might have to get more money. Have Star Wars Part IIIa, then have people come back later in the summer for part IIIb. Double the money for the same film. Sheer Movie Executive GENIUS! Hey, that new LORD OF THE RINGS MOVIE looks a little long, maybe we can get 3 parts out of that one!

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2003 11:25 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer for KILL BILL has got to be THE most annoying trailer I have ever watched in my life. Not at one point does it give you any clue as to what the story of this crap might be and a second does not go by that I wish I could shoot myself when this is on! [bs]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-17-2003 12:02 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without addressing the merits of the content, splitting a 3Hr.+ film into two 2 hr. parts makes sense timewise. Instead of tying up an auditorium for an entire evening with one show, you can sill get two. We have a single screen and generally skip the 3 hr. features because few people will come to movie even if it is short if it starts after 10 pm which is what we get if we run a 3 hr show at 7 to 7.15. I saw the Russian made War and Peace in the middle 70's like this. It was around 4 1/2 hours I believe. Other than that has splitting been done before?

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2003 12:58 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allegedly THE THREE MUSKETEERS (Salkind production) was produced as one feature and then released as two, although a lawsuit by the actors contended fraud and claimed the producers secretly had planned this two-part strategy all along, paying the actors for one production.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-17-2003 04:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a trailer that doesn't tell me anything about a movie over a trailer that tells me the ENTIRE movie any day. Buena Vista has been one of the worst about showing the whole friggin' movie in the trailer. Nowadays I tend to just ignore the trailers when I can avoid them. I tend to enjoy the movie more.

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2003 05:12 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched this trailer twice in the past few days and, you know, can't remember a damn thing about it other than Urma is in it.
Is she sleeping with mister mouth Quentin or something. Seems his movies are the only thing she shows up in and she always looks half asleep.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2003 10:44 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
IMDB.com wrote:
At one point it was suggested that the film would be broken into two films, with the first one ending in a cliff hanger and the second being released two weeks after the first. This idea was shelved.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2003 12:25 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone remember the teaser for "Strange Days"? That was a great teaser! No clue whatsoever about what the plot was. Just lots of jump cutting Ralph Fiennes's talking head with a crazy psychadelic mutlicolor acid trip background behind the text.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2003 12:59 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to be the 'odd one out'. I loved the trailer for KILL BILL. Ever since I have seen the trailer, I have been anticipating this film. I am not a Quentin Taratino fan at all. I am, however, a huge John Woo fan, and this movie looks to mimic his stuff.

Don E. Nelson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2003 03:19 PM      Profile for Don E. Nelson   Email Don E. Nelson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no. no. no. Please don't get confused with this "B" Movie and think it is some kind of Miramax marketing ploy. It fooled me for a minute, I will admit! But let me explain.

This (Kill Bill) flick is a karate/kung fu (B-Type) film, and it will do OK at the Box Office because of the director, the star(UMA) the cinematography, and the style of filmmaking: All attitude and no character development.

Now here is the real truth behind the double release.....now stay with me, because this is really cool. It has never been done before in this country on such a large scale under controlled conditions.

It is Miramax's first attemp, and the industries 1st try, at an anti-piracy, stop gap method. ................. are you with me so far Joe and John? OK.

Hollywood has been paying big bucks to the Rand Corporation, a think tank in Wash. DC, to come up with ways to counter the piracy issue.

Mr. Valenti first went to the homeland security people, but he couldn't quite convince them that these "pie rats" were a threat to thesecurity of the homeland, so he went down the street to the Rand Corp., paid them some bid dollars for some big time R & D, and this is what they came up with.

Now listen to this, Chapter 1.

This film, is the prototype film to test this method of film media anti-piracy. Originally, they were going to do this with the 3 hour Director's cut of "About Schmidt", but the studio got cold feet at the last minute. So Tarantino volunteered his film, because it met all the criterial required, as set up by the Rand Corp.

Now this is where it gets interesting, see if you also agree that this is a brilliant idea, never tried before here, and it can't be simulated under lab conditions in a virtual environment, it has to be a legitimate actually released theatrical film.

Here we go Chapter 2

The first part of the film is released as a conventional 5 reeler release, everything looks normal, the prints are undistinguishable from an average print, they use the same film cans, the one sheets, lobby banners, the newspaper advertising, tv spots are all in order, the movie release approaches, the patrons buy a ticket to "Kill Bill- Part One) they get their popcorn and soda's, and sit down to see the movie.
The movie tone ads segue to the green band trailers,... then the houselights go to the auto dim mode , the curtains open (if you have curtains) and the Miramax LOGO appears,

Are you ready for this ? Chapter 3

at this point the anti piracy embeded programming automatically kicks in, it is invisible to the eye, but it can be detected by a

End of Part One.

Part Two, of this expose, will be posted when Part Two of "Kill Bill" is released.
[Cool]

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2003 05:24 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm sure the Tarantino-aholics out there will be out in force, though.
Pulp Fiction needed Oscar nominations to go over $100M. Jackie Brown got caught in the Titanic wave.

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2003 06:13 PM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been my experience that "Tarantino-aholics" seem to be in greater force in magazine articles and on the internet than in actual movie theaters. I don't think Tarantino is the big box office pull that he gets credit for being.

[ 07-18-2003, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: Nicholas Roznovsky ]

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2003 09:54 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the trailer was great helped in large part by the music by some Japanese guy. It was meant to be a teaser and it served its purpose with the fan base.

AS far as splitting it into two movies, that is such bullshit by miramax. Is it true that the first movie will only be 90 minutes long? Damn, I would buy the two movie concept if the alternative to a single 3 hour movie is two 2hour movies with footage we would not have seen in the single movie. But it looks like all they are doing is splitting the movie in two.

People who like tarantino movies don't care if the movie is 2 or 3 hours. This is Weinstein's making. What a moron. I am amazed LOTR series is not 6 parts in this current climate.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-18-2003 10:03 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Allegedly THE THREE MUSKETEERS (Salkind production) was produced as one feature and then released as two, although a lawsuit by the actors contended fraud and claimed the producers secretly had planned this two-part strategy all along, paying the actors for one production.
There was similar drama with SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE as I recall. Also a Salkind production.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: