Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Is The End Near For Netscape?

Author Topic: Is The End Near For Netscape?
Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2003 04:08 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Brad and the rest of you Anti-Microsoft guys, but you knew this day would come sooner or later.........Looks like another round goes to Microsoft.

This article can be found here

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The death knell is sounding for the Netscape browser, industry observers said, following America Online's decision Tuesday to lay off about 50 Netscape software developers and end development work on the Mozilla browser technology.

"I would not say the patient is dead, but certainly it is more zombie-like. I don't see a new version of the Netscape browser coming out anytime soon," said Jonathan Gaw, research manager at market researcher IDC in Mountain View, California.

Geoff Johnston, vice president for StatMarket, a division of San Diego-based Web tracking company WebSideStory, agreed. "It sounds like AOL is really throwing in the towel. I think we have seen our last version of Netscape," he said.

AOL spokesperson Andrew Weinstein denied that the final hour has come for the Netscape browser. "We will continue to support the Netscape browser and Netscape remains a part of our multibrand strategy," he said.

Moving Slowly

However, many signs point to a slow death for the browser. "I don't think anybody is working on the Netscape browser anymore after the Tuesday layoffs," said one industry insider who asked not to be named. His comments are echoed in online bulletin boards about Netscape and Mozilla, the technology underlying the Netscape browser.

The last major release of the Netscape browser and associated software was in August last year with version 7.0. However, most Netscape users never upgraded past version 4.7, according to WebSideStory's Johnston.

Netscape was the most popular browser in the early years of the Web. However, its market share started crumbling when Microsoft introduced Internet Explorer in the mid-nineties. The acquisition of Netscape by Microsoft rival AOL in late 1998 and a lengthy antitrust trial could not change the browser's fortune.

AOL's concession to Microsoft in the browser space was really already clear when it negotiated a seven-year, royalty-free license to use Internet Explorer with its AOL client software as part of a lawsuit settlement with Microsoft in May, Johnston said. "That is when AOL conceded the war, surrendered to Microsoft and turned things over," he said.

Microsoft's Internet Explorer held over 94 percent of the browser market in June 2003, leaving just over 5 percent to be divided between Netscape, Apple Computer's Safari, and other browsers including Opera, from Opera Software, and Mozilla, according to WebSideStory.

Money Matters

In the end, it all comes down to dollars and sense, said Ken Smiley, research director at Forrester Research of Cambridge, Massachusetts, who has regarded the Netscape browser dead for the last few years.

"AOL is divesting itself of something that was a bad decision in the first place. They found that the time, effort, and money required to develop their own browser was just insurmountable in a world where the vast majority of Internet users use Internet Explorer," Smiley said.

AOL's actions may spell the end of the Netscape browser, but could be the beginning of the Mozilla browser. Also on Tuesday the people behind the Mozilla open source project announced the creation of the Mozilla Foundation, which will promote the Mozilla browser and e-mail software. Several of AOL's software developers will work for the foundation, which will get a $2 million donation over two years from AOL.

Though the Netscape browser may be on its death bed, the Netscape brand has plenty of life in it, IDC's Gaw said. "There is still a lot of value in the organization and the brand," he said. Other analysts agreed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-17-2003 05:57 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, if it was only that simple!

What the article FORGETS to mention is that Microshaft and AO-Hell have entered into a $750 million dollar agreement that is disguised as a lawsuit settlement that allows the two companies to "share technology".

In other words, Microshit PAID AO-Smell to ditch Netscape to that they will use Internet Exploder instead.

See the article in The Washington Times.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-17-2003 06:03 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and a VERY SMART move as Netscape now and always has sucked the big one! [beer]

Even Opera is better!

>>> Phil

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-17-2003 07:31 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Netscape may be losing favor (as it has been over the last several years), but I wouldn't declare victory for Internet Explorer. IE is becoming the browser to avoid on both Mac and Windows. More and more people are migrating towards Opera which seems to have a good release in 7.1 after a horrible 7.0 and Mozilla. Mac users are using Camino (mozilla) and Safari (which is good but not great). So long IE!

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-17-2003 07:32 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
So long Apple....

>>> Phil

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-17-2003 07:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't make me edit your post to say what I want it to say Phil.....

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-17-2003 07:38 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
[evil] [Razz]

>>> Phil

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2003 07:59 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Netscape in all my dealings with it has been sluggish compared to IE. It takes forever to load pages with Netscape that take seconds to load in IE. Back in the days of Dial-Up, every second counted and that's why I use and will continue to use IE.

I wonder when AOL is going to kick the bucket? They have to be the worst " ISP " ( if you could call it that ) ever.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: