Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Mel Gibson's Film On Death of Jesus Creates Controversy Before Premier (Page 0)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Mel Gibson's Film On Death of Jesus Creates Controversy Before Premier
Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2003 01:50 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
controversy ... whee...

*gestures towards the signature below* [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-27-2003 01:48 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jews fear backlash from Mel Gibson's Passion
By Jonathan Petre, Religion Correspondent
The Daily Telegraph, 26 August 2003

British Jewish leaders have joined the furore surrounding Mel Gibson's controversial film The Passion, which charts the final 12 hours of Christ's life and includes a brutal depiction of the Crucifixion.

The Board of Deputies of British Jews say they share the growing fears voiced in America that the film could fuel bigotry and anti-Semitism and damage relations between faiths.

The Passion, which is funded, co-written and directed by the Hollywood star, has provoked a storm in America, with Jewish and Roman Catholic scholars calling for changes before its release early next year.

Gibson, a Catholic traditionalist, has defended it as a truthful portrayal of the events surrounding the Crucifixion, and has even insisted that the dialogue is in Latin and Aramaic, the vernacular in Palestine at the time.

He has denied that the film is anti-Semitic or designed to upset Jews, although he told one interviewer: "It's true that, as the Bible says, 'He came into His own and His own received Him not.' I can't hide that."

He has also made extensive efforts to win round his critics by organising private screenings and describing the film as a work in progress which he has already "softened" following criticism.

However, Jewish groups continue to insist that the film portrays the Jewish authorities and "bloodthirsty" mob as primarily responsible for the decision to crucify Christ.

Catholic scholars have also expressed reservations, especially as Gibson is a member of a conservative church which does not acknowledge the validity of the Second Vatican Council of the 1960s. One of the reforming council's pronouncements was that Jews could not be held culpable for Christ's death.

Rabbi Eugene Korn, director of inter-faith affairs at the influential Anti-Defamation League in New York, said after a private viewing last week that the film was "toxic" and would be loved by "anti-Semites and bigots".

He told the Jewish Chronicle: "Jews are uniformly characterised as negative, and the Jewish mob is depicted as forcing the decision on to Pontius Pilate, when in reality it was Pilate's decision alone. There are gross historical inaccuracies, and there is massive, and gratuitous, violence."

In a statement, the Board of Deputies, the official voice of the British Jewish community, called for an "early opportunity" to see the film so that they could make a "definitive judgment".

They expressed fears that it may fuel anti-Semitism "by portraying Jews in an unfavourable light, and perpetuating myths which have been refuted by various religious authorities in the past".

The statement added: "We are aware that some leaders of the American Jewish community have voiced their concern on the matter which, in principle, we would share."

Not all opinion has been negative, though. A number of those who have seen the film, including Jewish commentators, have praised it.

The £18 million production, starring James Caviezel as Jesus, will be distributed by 20th Century Fox. Its American premiere is due on Ash Wednesday, but no British release date has been set.

I don't get the impression that Gibson is creating this controversy as a money-making exercise (although others have in the past, as has been noted in earlier posts). I suspect that he believes what he believes and just isn't too worried about the consequences of expressing those beliefs.

One thing occurs to me though: thank goodness no-one is producing a similarly controversial film dealing with Islam. Every cinema in the world would become a potential terrorist target - that is, if anyone was prepared to distribute such a film.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2003 03:30 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The latest controversy surrounding The Passion of the Christ? A big-city newspaper got its hands on a bootleg copy and screened it in order to write a salacious story.

Variety had the story last week:
quote:
Leaders throughout Hollywood roundly condemned the New York Post for obtaining and then screening a bootlegged film for a news story.

The heads of three studios as well as producer Brian Grazer and director Sydney Pollack express deep concern about news outlets obtaining pirated copies of films and using those incomplete versions for review.

"I find this appalling and unconscionable that anyone would deal with a bootleg tape," said Paramount Pictures chair Sherry Lansing. "I'm as outraged as if it were one of my own films because of what it portends."

She added, "To pass judgment on any filmmaker before they've completed a film is going to make it impossible for us to do our work."

Industry outrage stems from a Nov. 17 report in the Post that the paper had "obtained" a video dub of Mel Gibson's controversial "The Passion of Christ." The paper showed it to a rabbi, a priest, a religion professor, their own critic and a reader selected at random. A reporter interviewed the panelists and wrote up their reactions.

"Passion" is not due to be released until Feb. 25.

"If I had made that picture, I would have felt raped," said Pollack. "There is obviously a great thing to defend about freedom of the press, but there is also a sense of entitlement in the press that is genuinely offensive on a moral level and every other level."

He added, "As a director, the sense that the New York Post has the legal right to take somebody's work that isn't finished is really very frightening to me."

Walt Disney Studios chairman Dick Cook is equally upset. "I think it's outrageous. It's horrible. It's a case of bad journalism, bad ethics and a broken covenant between producers of motion pictures and the press."

Neither Peter Chernin, chief operating officer of News Corp., nor Tom Rothman, head of the Fox studio, responded to requests for comment.

In a statement to Daily Variety, a spokesman for the Post defended the paper by saying it was covering the controversy surrounding Gibson's depiction of Jews in his film about the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

"The filmmaker has already held a number of screenings for individuals, and comments from those viewers have been reported in the media. With so much controversy and attention surrounding this film, we feel this is a legitimate news story," the spokesman said.

That explanation doesn't wash with Grazer, who says the Post's "Passion" package displayed "a complete lack of compassion for artists. It's a violation almost beyond words." He added, "Does the Post want us to think less of them? I don't want to think less of them."

The Post's actions come at a time when piracy has been elevated to the top concern of the industry. By accepting and reporting from a pirated tape, some in the industry consider the Post to be complicit in piracy.

"Any act that helps in any way to legitimize an illegal act like piracy is reprehensible," said Chris McGurk, vice chairman of MGM.

Warner Bros. CEO Barry Meyer, who proposed banning Oscar screeners in order to combat piracy, was unavailable for comment. But in a statement for the studio, Warners said, "The precedent-setting nature of this is deeply troubling on many levels."

The Post did not say from whom it received the tape, and on Nov. 19, it returned its copy to Gibson's reps after his lawyers asked for it back. The paper said it made no copies.

Legal action may be pending. But Elizabeth McNamara, a Gotham-based attorney at firm Davis Wright Tremaine, which represents many leading newspapers and magazines on libel and First Amendment issues, said she doubts Gibson's production company would have much of a case against the Post.

"Reporters get handed things all the time. There's nothing illegal and improper in obtaining and reporting on the tape," she said. In the event of action by Icon, "I'm sure they would assert their newsgathering privileges. What they did was clearly a legitimate news story."

People in Hollywood don't see it the same way. Paramount vice chair Rob Friedman said, "I guess they can always hide behind the issue that it's news but that seems a thin argument to me. It's not as if it's a cure for cancer or an end to world hunger."

The New York Post is owned by News Corp., which also owns 20th Century Fox. For the last three years, it has been under the direct leadership of Lachlan Murdoch. He and Post editor Col Allan were both in Australia, unavailable for comment.

Seems like this newspaper will do anything to discredit a movie that has yet to be released.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2003 10:17 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me if it's bootlegged then the reviewers themselves have no credibility. Why all the ruckus anyway? Show the damn picture and let the people decide if they like it or not.
In a years time who would even care or remember the thing anyway?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-24-2003 06:16 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen Mel's movie yet but would this not be a good choice to open with an overture...a few minutes of appropriate music on black...just to set the mood? With a curtain, which many art houses still have, it would be very dramatic.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-25-2003 01:54 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[url= http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/nypost/450652711.html?did=450652711&FMT=ABS&FMTS=FT&desc=MEL%27S+%27PASSION%27+PUT+TO+THE+TEST+-+FIVE+DIVERSE+VIEWERS+REACT+TO+POST+PREVIEW]Here is a link[/url] to the New York Post article, though you have to pay if you want to read the whole text.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-25-2003 01:59 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn`t want to pay and I wouldn`t want to read the whole text. Just sum it up for us, please.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-25-2003 03:16 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to pay either, so unless someone does we'll have to live in blissful ignorance of what the priest, the rabbi, his wife & her lover thought of it!

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2004 02:05 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Passion of the Christ opens in the US on Ash Wednesday, 2/25. Newmarket Films is releasing it in the US and going all-out to get the mainstream audience.

The AMC Hamilton has the poster in the large front lobby near the main concession stand. Posters don't go there unless they're for mass appeal pictures.

Midwest chains Kerasotes and GKC are now promoting this film on their respective home pages. Kerasotes plans to sell advance tickets just like with any tentpole picture.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-12-2004 05:02 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how long it'll be until the first theatre double-bills it with The Life of Brian? [evil]

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2004 11:46 AM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know where/how to get a hold of marketing materials?

I don't have any info on the distributor.

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2004 12:53 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go here to order all of the promotional material you want for only the cost of shipping.

And if anyone has information on where this has been booked or any info on contact info for the distributor please let me know.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2004 06:59 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, seeing how Monica Belucci is playing Mary Magdelene, I hope they took into account the Roman law that prostitutes could not wear clothes.

Ok, so it wasn't a law but it would boost ticket sales. [evil]

Or at least make her wear her rubber suit from Matrix Reloaded

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-15-2004 04:03 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would you also settle for some wet toga shots?

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2004 03:06 PM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Go here to order all of the promotional material you want for only the cost of shipping.

FYI The website this links to is for promotional materials targeting non-profit organizations, not exhibitors.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: