Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Unique Road Signs and Business Signs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Unique Road Signs and Business Signs
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-03-2003 11:17 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I was in Wisconsin, I noticed some signs I could not resist for picture taking. Here are three of them.

-

This one was on a building at 21st and Hamilton Street in Manitowoc.

-

Mark spoke of this one....

-

Only in Wisconsin.... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 08-03-2003 11:50 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can see those bottles from the apartment. They are on the building right next to us. Actually, looking out the window those damn bottles are all I see because they're lit up all night and now I have to look at them on Film-Tech?!?!? What the h-e-double-hockey stix!!! [Big Grin]

Paul you missed the Piggly Wiggly thats open from something like 6:03AM-10:02PM [Smile]

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2003 12:01 AM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter's Pantry is a charity food shelter in Manitowoc.

The Bud Bottles on the Anheiser Busch grain elevators are something you can see all the way down Washington street (Like 20-25 blocks away) were actually repainted within the last 10 years. If you can believe it, the older painted version looked worse.

Rachel> Larry's Piggly Wiggly has had weird hours like that for years. (My folks lived about 3 blocks away from there) We asked when they originally made the change why they did that, and the response was, "It will make our hours more memorable to the customers, and since we're around until after 9pm anyway (At the time it was 606 to 909) for shoppers already in the store, we might as well add the extra minutes.

Granted even with those hours they'd open at 6am, and not let anyone new into the store after 9pm. Not sure if that has changed.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-04-2003 12:16 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least we didn't see the tyranny of Arial distorted out to hell or any other obvious instances of "font murder" in those sign pictures.

Speaking of funny sign photos, I was glad I had a digital camera handy when I saw this example of vehicle graphics vandalism (some practical joker obviously had access to a vinyl cutter to pull off this job; I don't know what he was thinking in peeling away some of the letters in the tagline -can't make sense of it anyway). I swear this image is not Photoshopped. We called Penske immediately after taking the picture though.

-

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-04-2003 12:42 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That really does look Photoshopped, Bobby, but I know it's not. Perhaps it is the effect of a digital camera vs a film camera or something. But the letters (not just the "penis" but many of the other words as well) look pasted on. Did you "sharpen" the image in Photoshop at all? That could account for it.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-04-2003 05:32 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first came to California, I saw this sign near the immigration checkpoint on I-5 north of Camp Pendleton:

-

At first I thought it was kind of funny. Then later I learnt that it had been put there because people who smuggled in Mexicans had left them in the middle of nowhere to avoid the checkpoint. The confused families had tried to cross the freeway and there had been several bad accidents.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2003 07:01 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a photo I snapped while on a trip in California. I was with a group of managers in my district for a NATO meeting. While cruising on over to the hotel I saw this detailing place and could not resist...

-

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 08-04-2003 08:41 AM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

The "Budweiser" silos have not been repainted. Those are actually huge chunks of that nylon/plastic banner material with the image screened onto them using inks that have a 5 - 10 year duration outdoors. It was extremely interesting (living right across the street) to watch them put them on. They have a huge metal "slot" attached at the top and bottom for each piece to slide into, and they used a huge crane to get them up there. There are 3 pieces - each beer bottle is one complete piece. The funny part was watching them trying to attach those "giant flags" to the side of the building in the wind... needless to say, it took them a while!! I think the project was done 3 or 4 years ago if I recall correctly - when you get "old" time moves faster than it does when you're a young pup... I'm sure it's not much longer than that, as I have only been living in my apartment for 6 years.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-04-2003 01:40 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott Norwood has a good one on his website that shows a road sign saying "Left Turn", but with an arrow pointing right. I've always loved that one. I think he took it himself.

Maybe he will post it here?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-04-2003 06:00 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

The "mosquito noise" happening around the "go penis" letters is just an artifact of JPEG compression. The original image is a 3.1 megapixel picture, far too large to post in here. I saved it at "60" quality. Any lower than that and the detail around the lettering really goes to shit.

At any rate, the letters were quickly slapped on the truck. When I first saw it I thought my mind was playing tricks on me. "Nah, the trailer can't say that," I muttered. But as I drove closer, it did indeed have a dirty yet funny message.

I feel sorry for any business that actually has that toll free number: 1-800-467-3647.

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2003 09:02 PM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would appear that 1-800-GO-PENIS belongs to "The Overman Companies". I don't know what they do, but the lady who does their recording doesn't sound too excited about her job. Can't be what we all think it is. [Wink]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-06-2003 05:48 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, well...since the thread died, I might as well add a little spice to it. I designed it myself. It is designed for hand-to-hand combat.

I sent a picture to S&W some time ago, but they were kind of "stiff lipped" and never answered the email. Maybe I should send it to Michael Moore. [evil]

-

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-06-2003 06:12 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, don't sweat it, Paul. Most people don't find my "Polish Roulette" joke very funny either (Russian Roulette with a loaded .45 semi-auto handgun).

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-07-2003 11:41 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one is nationally famous. It's been published in National Lampoon's True Facts. It has also been shown on the old TV show, Real People. (Aired in the late 70's.)
BTW: The monument predates the restaurant by at least 30 years.

-

Next, is one I stumbled on while on the way to take the first one. Adds new meaning to the phrase, "Assault and Battery"!

-

Finally, I took this picture of a place I drive by every day on the way to work. I wonder if the owner of the business realizes how many people are laughing at her and wondering what REALLY goes on inside!

-

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-07-2003 12:14 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Amigone (Am I Gone???) Funeral Homes in Buffalo NY have some ironic signs, given their name:

http://www.amigonefuneral.com/default.htm

http://www.amigonefuneral.com/locations.htm

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: