Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » CD prices coming down soon (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: CD prices coming down soon
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-05-2003 03:58 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I discuss the recent news about the reduction of CD prices of mainstream titles by Universal Music, I would first like to thank the members who took time to send me an email asking me to reconsider leaving the Film Tech forum. As you can see, I have listened to them and I am back. I now realize it was a wrong decision to announce my resignation from the forum when I had overreacted to a misunderstanding I had with a fellow member. Now that I have a adequate supply of 'chill pills' to control my sensitivity to any future misunderstandings here at Film Tech, on with my topic! [Smile]

Universal Music has just announced they will price their mainstream titles at $12.98 from a high of $16.98 to $18.99 on October 1st. With the price reduction, retailers are now expected to discount many of these CDs to below $10.00 making music CDs a good value. Now that Universal will reduce their prices, all other labels will have do the same to remain competitive. I have been buying CDs ever since they were first introduced and felt the prices were high but I still bought them because I love the clarity of the sound compared to the long playing records I have been collecting since I was a teenager.

Ever since, DVDs of major motion picture are sold at Costco, Best Buy and Sam's Club for the same price as a full priced CD, I very seldom bought them in stores because of the high prices. The major source for my classical music Cds has been from mail order clubs like BMG which I am a member. With the price break, CDs in stores will soon be very affordable but buying them by mail order will still be cheaper. [Big Grin]

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2003 04:49 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The major record labels should have done this ten years ago.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-05-2003 05:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, good! Piracy is now a thing of the past!! [Roll Eyes]

Everyone who has ever said "I'd buy more CDs if the prices were lower," time to talk with your wallet!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-05-2003 06:07 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Everyone who has ever said "I'd buy more CDs if the prices were lower," time to talk with your wallet!
I'll may start buying again, but an number of things have to happen first.

First, the music companies actually have to distribute something I want to buy in the first place. The music these days is so bland, regurged and derivative that I have no desire buy anything. In spite of having DSL, I'm not downloading squat. I'm not even listening to the radio! Much of the last 3 to 5 years, the only CDs I've been spinning are all my old school music. The music industry has to "grow a pair" and take some commercial risks by signing innovative new talent. It has been around 14 years since the last time the rock genre was upended and cleaned out by bands like Nirvana. The pop, country, r&b and hip-hop genres have remained largely unchanged and prepetually regurged and retreaded since the mid to late 1980's. Again, change is very long overdue. I contend this is the primary cause for dwindling record industry revenues, not the damned internet.

On the price cuts, certain retailers must pass along those price cuts to customers (Sam Goodys, Tower, Musicland, Media Play, etc. often sell discs ABOVE MSRP, with CDs commanding $19 and over $20 levels). Wal-Mart and various other discounters sell censored/edited discs. There's no Best Buy here in town.

I can see buying a music-only CD for $10 or under. That's a reasonable price for uncompressed LPCM 2.0 content (provided if the content is any good). Still, DVD is one hell of a competitor against music CD. I bought the new "Animal House" DVD for only $12.99. The music folks need to learn how to compete against DVD. Otherwise my movie library is going to keep growing and growing while my music library remains unchanged.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-05-2003 06:22 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken & Mike,

I do agree about the reduction of CD prices being ten years late in fact it is far too late for the mucic industry to curb illegal copying of music when it is very easy and cheaper to download them from the internet. It is only due to the tremendous loss of revenue from music downloads that had prompted Universal Music to drop it's CD prices. It is a step in the right direction but much too late to reverse the trand of the people who used to pay foll list for CDs until they found a less expensive way to purchase music,.

When ever I commute on the bus, I have noticed the majority of my fellow passangers who listen to music on portable CD players have been playing discs with music that were dowmloaded rather than original copies like the kind I listen to.

-Claude

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-05-2003 10:08 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree...it should have happened along time ago. However, I probably won't buy too many (if any) because the music on them is still basically garbage.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2003 11:11 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think its too little, too late. Especially with the crap they're putting out these days.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-05-2003 11:16 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd buy CD's at $10 and I can say that for sure because I buy them used all the time at that price.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-06-2003 03:23 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I buy my music from the Apple Music Store online (coming soon to windows!).

It cost only 99 cents a song, and I can mix and mach them any way I like. I can preview the song with 30 second samples available for every song. Full albums cost 9.99.

Audio is AAC encoding.

Now that CDs may be falling under that price, I may return to buying physical CDs

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-06-2003 03:34 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back claude

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-06-2003 05:44 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Gordon [Smile]

-Claude

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2003 08:25 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't buy too many CDs, maybe 15 a year... I buy older music from the 70's or early 80's. I don't agree with anyone that says that music isn't changing. That's like saying movies aren't changing. Music is changing constantly... compare any rap or urban music to the same from ten years ago, It's a totally different type of music. Compare country music today to country music ten years ago, different.
On the other hand we aren't listening to Bill and Ted yet so it hasn't changed that dramatically.

There will always be the popular artists that come and go faster than the magazine covers that they are on, but there are many solid artists with extended careers too. There seems to become a point in life when 'new music' isn't good anymore... usually we say "the crap those kids listen to" Not too many people will enjoy all music that comes out... but I don't think it is hard to find some music and artists that you will enjoy.

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2003 09:31 PM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-------------------------------------------------------
I have been buying CDs ever since they were
first introduced and felt the prices were high
but I still bought them because I love the
clarity of the sound compared to the long playing
records
-------------------------------------------------------

Actually, when CD's first came out, playing an LP and CD of the same recording, doing an A/B comparison showed the CD had some high end distortion the LP didn't. This wasn't just a lack of highs on the LP, in fact the high end on the LP was brighter. Some CD's still sound distorted to me. With analog recording, when you run the levels a little too high, you get a soft distortion. With digital, any level too high results in god awful distortion. I still use LP's and CD's. It's fun hunting around for old LP's finding stuff no longer available.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-07-2003 12:59 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edward,

I knew when I said I like CD for it's clarity of sound, I knew someone was going to dispute that statement. I have a good friend in Honolulu that wants nothing to do with CDs because be agrees with you that long playing records are much better when a A/B comparison test was made. The thing that use to drive me crazy with LPs was the click & pops when playing many that had dirty grooves not to mention the hiss and tracking noise. I still have most of my long play records. Some of my precious ones are original recordings by Arturo Toscanini and the NBC Symphony. He was still alive in the mid fifties and made a lot of recordngs when I was still in my teens. The one I cherish the most is all nine of Beethoven symphonies in a box set. This set is the first edition RCA Red Seal recordings and should be worth a lot of money today. Because I knew they were special, I hardly played them. Because I took very good care of them, they still look like new today. I used to skip lunch and with the money I saved, I bought records. Because I was saving lunch money my mother gave me for records, I used to be very thin and looked like a six foot bean pole. [Smile] So far I have long play records of all of the music Beethoven composed, a lot of Mozart, Haydn, Bach and almost seventy complete operas. On top pd all that, I have a lot of soundtrack LPs

-Claude

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 02:41 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mmm... I love vinyl! One of my most prized records is a limited edition, picture vinyl copy of the soundtrack to Rocky Horror Picture Show. [Big Grin]
My vinyl collection of albums by Queen is nearly complete too. [Cool]

...oh so much music that I would like to have at my disposal, though very little of it being 'new'.
(As if much of the newer releases are really anything new anyway!)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: