Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Needed, photos of historic usher uniforms

Author Topic: Needed, photos of historic usher uniforms
Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2003 09:24 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any photos of 1927 era usher uniforms? We are seeking the design of new uniforms for the staff at Saginaw Michigan Temple Theatre. The theatre opened in July of 1927. After a total restoration this year, the theatre will reopen in November. We don't seem to have any photos of the uniforms used at that time.

Please submit. Any assistance will be appreciated.
Ken Wuepper

|  IP: Logged

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2003 11:44 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

I also am looking for uniforms from the early days of my theatre. It opened in 1933. I do have photos of the uniforms that were wore in the early 40s, and they appear to be very much like the ones I've seen in many theatre photos of the late 20s. I have quite a few different sets of uniforms in storage in my theatre, but they are all pretty unusable at this time.

My question to you is, where are you planning on either purchasing, or having them made? I have been looking for uniform companies for several years, and all that I have talked to have nothing like the old time theatre uniforms. If you have a company already in mind that does that kind of uniform work, I would like to have the name and phone number.

Just yesterday while driving back from Philadelphia I passed a van for a uniform company just outside of Philly near Chester, Pa. I had to slow down so that it would pass me so I could see the name and telephone number and write them down. When I got back to my theatre I called them. They specialize in police and military uniforms. They have never done theatre uniforms but said that they probably could adapt something to a theatre style. I'm going to be taking some of my old uniforms, and photos of others, down there in a couple of weeks for them to look at.

As far as photos of theatre uniforms, may I suggest that you contact the Theatre Historical Society of America at www.historictheatres.org or by calling 630/782-1802 and ask for Richard Sklenar or Barbra Janssens. There e-mail is: execdir@historictheatres.org.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 12:02 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wanting to find just one uniform for a mannequin to wear outside my screening room door. I found one that was just right at a costume rental place in Frisco, but they wouldn't sell it. I was thinking of renting it and then "losing" it and paying the price...
It has a red pill box hat
A red waist length jacket with those fringy epaulets on the shoulders and the horizontal gold bars on the chest, with a mandarin type collar.
Black pants with red stripe up the outside seam like a tuxedo.
I was thinking of having the mannequin standing outside the door with a flashlight in it's hand. Just as an atmosphere thing

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 12:26 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about the uniform from the old Philip Morris cigarette ads? "Call For Philip Mooorrrrieeeeeeess".

Here's a nice pic: web page

Aren't usher's uniforms pretty much toned-down band uniforms? Except for the pillbox hat. All being modified military dress uniforms, of course.

Ron Yost

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 04:31 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about elevator attendant uniforms? Some of then look identical to theatre usher uniforms.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 09:36 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the great ideas. I really remember that Philip Morris costume. (Showing my age here)

I saw a rack of uniforms in the cellar of the Ironwood theatre in upper Michigan. They looked like band uniforms from the local high school and the head usher was dressed like a drum major. No one seems to remember the Temple uniforms and if they were that complex they were probably very hot to wear.

A local costume store has recommended Burgundy tuxedo jackets (without tails)which would be worn unbuttoned with a light weight vest underneath. Black pants would be the bottoms. A white shirt and black bow tie would complete the outfit.

I am still in hope of finding the nearest possible fit.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-08-2003 01:27 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're willing to look beyond the US, the Cinema Theatre Association is a group which researches and archives all aspects of cinema exhibition in the UK. They have a huge document archive including photographs, which must include staff uniforms I would have thought.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-08-2003 08:27 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The book "Best Remaining Seats" by Ben Hall has lots of photos of '20s vintage ushers.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2003 03:16 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kenneth, Richard, Greg;

The manufacturers of High School band uniforms have catalogs and deal in high volume, so I expect their prices may be cheaper than in costume providers. (I knew a HS music teacher who conducted a 100 piece band in Ohio, and he said that 10x10 field formation was common in the midwest, where the band conductor
often earns more than the principal. And the amounts they budget for equipping those bands must be enormous! All because of football.)

Gerard

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-08-2003 10:01 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God bless football [sleep]

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2003 11:15 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the bottom of page 22 of "Great American Movie Theaters" by David Naylor (The Preservation Press 1987 ISBN 0-89133-127-1), there's a picture of ushers in uniforms from the Abilene, Texas Paramount from 1930.

Somewhere, I have another pic of ushers, probably from the Roxy, but I can't seem to find it. If I come across it, I'll post again. Also, you might try the Theater Historical Society THS Website

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 09-13-2003 09:00 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want some babes in usher uniforms, go to Marty Hart's Widescreen Museum. [Wink]

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2003 11:01 AM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, John! Marty has great taste. The only 'ushers' I remember that looked like those worked in the old Playboy clubs. [Big Grin] [sex]

Ron Yost

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: