Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Presidio closed

Author Topic: Presidio closed
Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2003 04:51 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great pictures from the really nice looking Presidio Theatre.
Just sad, it is closed. Coming back as four no comfort, if there are going to be 4 screen in the same area, they will be very small.

[Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-09-2003 11:37 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per

Thats the Presidio Theatre in San Francisco, California.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-09-2003 11:41 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just can't get over the sarcastic marquee. The theater is closing and it says "Thanks for your patronage"? They don't need to snap back at the community like that. Yes, Presidio, we know that if more customers had "patronized" your theater, it wouldn't need to close. We get that. But people obviously didn't want to show up in great quantities, so bye! [Smile]

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 09-09-2003 12:24 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I closed the Lark Theatre in Larkspur, CA and without thinking I did up the marquee to say "THEATRE CLOSED" and underneath that "THANK YOU LARKSPUR".

When I drove by a week later and read it with a clear head, I realized it read more "THEATRE CLOSED, THANK YOU LARKSPUR" I think it's hard to convey the sorrow of closing a theatre with what little marquee space available to you. Because you do thank the community for helping it hang on as long as it did, and especially thank those who did attend films there... but at the same time you are kinda pissed that more people didn't show up in the first place.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-10-2003 07:27 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least it's not like the banner that the Cleveland Wrecking Company uses on the marquee, when then raze a theatre.

RETURN ENGAGEMENT "BRINGING DOWN THE HOUSE" Cleveland Wrecking Company

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2003 12:47 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How in hell do they think they can make that into 4 screens! Crazy people! [fu]

Each auditorium will probably have a few couches and a big screen tv!!

Danny

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-11-2003 12:57 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During one of my many visits to San Francisco, I did have an opportunity to see a movie at the Presidio. The theatre was on Chestnut Street and a very good friend had a photography studio directly across the street on the 2nd floor above the grocery store. I recall the Presidio and my friend's studio was in a very nice neighborhood. The theatre was nothing fancy. It was a large single screen house and the movie I saw there was the original "SPEED". The picture and sound was very good. It is too bad another landmark theatre has bit the dust. [Frown]

-Claude

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2003 10:01 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How in hell do they think they can make that into 4 screens! Crazy people!
Dan, to get some kind of idea, take a drive to Pasadena and visit the Academy 6. This used to be an average-sized single theatre. And yes, it really is as bad as it sounds.

What is odd about the Presidio is that it was prevenmted from being used for other purposes. The question is why, then, wasn't it prevented from being plexed?

(BTW, wasn't this thread closed a few days ago?)

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-11-2003 03:15 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This used to be an average-sized single theatre.
Before the plexing of the Academy. When Mann Theatres operated the Academy it seated 1700 people. It was larger than the Village in Westwood (1535 people before the recent remodel).
At one time Mann Theatres were working on plans to plex the Village. But they do not own the theatres, they are only leased properties. If you want to see an average-sized theatre that has been plexed look at the Laemmle's Music Hall Triplex (it seated 867 when it opened.)

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 03:47 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally will miss The Presidio. It was one of my favorites. I'll go to the single screen theatres over these new AMC 60 megaplexes anyday. We now only have a few single screens left here in SF and they're all probably on their way out too... [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: