Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Slip 'n Slide insanity

Author Topic: Slip 'n Slide insanity
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-11-2003 07:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
From yahoo.com

quote:
Wham-O, the toy company behind such iconic playthings as Frisbee, Superball, Hula-Hoop and Hacky Sack, is suing mad at the producers of Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star for the flick's "unauthorized" and "inappropriate" use of the company's Slip 'N Slide. The company is so ticked, that it wants the film yanked from theaters.

Wham-O filed suit in Los Angeles Superior Court this week against Paramount Pictures and Adam Sandler's Happy Madison Productions over scenes in the film involving the classic yellow summer lawn fixture.

The company says the movie puts potential Slip 'N Slide users in danger should they try to replicate the scene where Dickie star David Spade gets a belly burn by taking a dive on a dry slide. Or the one where he lubes the Slip 'N Slide with oil and flings himself into a fence.

"Wham-O is concerned about the depicted misuse of its product in the film and its advertising, particularly the potential for injury to children and even adults who after viewing the scene, might use the product in the same reckless manner," Peter Sgromo, senior marketing director of Wham-O's Toy Division, said in a statement.

To emphasize the point, Wham-O has asked a judge to pull the film from theaters and have all prints and future home videos released without the offending scenes, or, at the very least, make filmmakers insert disclaimers into the movie and trailers promoting safe Slip 'N Slide use.

"It goes without saying that Slip 'N Slide has become a part of the fabric of American culture...as such, it continues to be a natural fit for the entertainment industry when used to depict childhood outdoor fun," continued Sgromo. "That said, it is of utmost importance to Wham-O, that the entertainment industry seek and obtain permission to depict the registered trademarked product and its subsequent use in a manner that is approved by Wham-O."

Sgromo said filmmakers should have read the package, which limits Slip 'N Sliders to 5 feet and 110 pounds (which is smaller than even the pint-sized Spade) and requires the slide to be wet, connected to a hose and inflated.

For its part, Paramount thinks the suit is about as frivolous as Gary Coleman's gubernatorial run in California.

"Paramount believes the claims are entirely without legal merit," studio spokesman Rob Friedman said.

Wham-O, however, is sticking to its guns, perhaps in hopes of facing future injury lawsuits. The company once had to pay an intoxicated Slip 'N Slider $12.3 million after he became paralyzed after taking a drunken dive down a dry slide.

Despite its potential safety hazards, Dickie Roberts, starring Spade and featuring cameos from a bevy of grown-up former child stars, has been a minor hit. It topped the box office over the weekend and dethroning previous champ Jeepers Creepers 2.

Paramount should countersue based upon how assinine this lawsuit is.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-11-2003 10:23 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paramount should issue a roll of film with a disclaimer which is to be spliced onto the head of all prints:

"Peter Sgromo, senior marketing director of Wham-O's Toy Division would like all viewers of this fictional film to know that the general public does not have the mental facilities to discern the difference between comedy and reality.

Mr. Sgromo would like to remind us that it is impossible to tell the difference between a special effect and an event which happens in real life. Further, he warns that nobody should ever attempt to recreate any situation or action depicted in this movie.

This message is brought to you by the producers of this film in response to a lawsuit brought by:

Peter Sgromo
Senior Marketing Director - Toy Division
Wham-O, Inc.
<Address Here>
<Home Telephone Number Here>

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-11-2003 10:41 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would that go before or after Mr. Goldstein? [Smile]

Hmmm... "I'm a toy maker, I just want to make toys. Toys they're worth it."

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-11-2003 10:54 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how many times Wham-O has been sued for injuries sustained from their slip and slide. At least these days people would sue. Back when I was a kid we all knocked the crap out of ourselves doing stunts on those things. In the old days, if you slipped and smacked your head on the lawn you just basically told yourself, "I'm such a klutz." Personal responsibility rather than the shift blame game.

[ 09-12-2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Bobby Henderson ]

Jannette McQueen
Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2003 01:27 AM      Profile for Jannette McQueen   Email Jannette McQueen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
uh .... don't the kids in that scene tell the wonderfully intelligent Mr. Dickie Roberts "NO NO NO WAIT!!!! THERE HAS TO BE WATER ON IT!"

so .... yeah .... kids are stupid, they like to hurt themselves. Oh wait .... are these the kids that eat glitter in preschool? How 'bout that nasty Bruce Almighty show??? huh huh huh? there was a little boy in that eating paste and glitter! Why aren't the paste and glitter people sueing the movie producers over that?

Who knows?

I jsut know that when I was a kid, I wasn't stupid enough to use one of those toys whether there was water on it or not [Wink]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-12-2003 05:22 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't blame 'em for being paranoid.

Consider the brain trusts that have garnered media attention after crediting "Jackass" and various sundry MTV offerings for intelligent activities... like standing in front of oncoming cars, etc. etc.

Too many lemmings out there.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-12-2003 05:33 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Wham-O is WAY off base and a bunch of pussies!

I really get annoyed that "Jackass" and those types of shows have to put up disclaimers to tell us NOT to do those stupid things.

While I totally enjoy watching those idiots, I would never do that stuff myself. If you're stupid enuff to try it, ya get what you deserve. Ummm… it's called common sense and personal responsibility.

Let natural selection weed out the gene pool!

>>> Phil

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-12-2003 06:24 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm going to piss off a few people with this one, but let's face it. Kids these days are pussies. What's the worst that's going to happen? Carpal tunnel syndrome in the thumb joint from too much Playstation 2? Wham-O wouldn't be so worried if this were 1973 instead of 2003.

It used to be a rite of passage or dues to be paid for growing up. Break an arm in a bike accident. Sprain an ankle in a baseball game. Get a couple scars from falling out of a treehouse. It toughened kids up. Nowadays kids are so sheltered. One of my coworkers makes it into a federal case if her 12 year old walks down to the 7-11 unaccompanied to buy a fountain soda or some candy. When I was 12 and the sun was up, I was gone exploring or making money mowing lawns or anything else just to be outside.

This difference could actually be one reason why certain kids have to make their teenage stage of rebellion so extreme these days. Things seem to be totally about extremes these days. One set of kids has their parents deep in their business all the time while others have totally absentee parents (or parents providing a very destructive example to follow).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-12-2003 07:05 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. One of the roads by a not-so-busy mall around here has speed bumps on it. It didn't used to. Why does it now have speed bumps? Because someone's mom felt as if the cars were going too fast, and kids might be injured as a result. The speed limit on this road before the speed bumps (placed about every 150 feet or so) was only about 30mph, and it didn't have a TON of traffic. One lane going each way.

I grew up on Sheridan Blvd. The driveway went right into the busy street, which at the time had a speed limit of 45mph and TONS of traffic. Two lanes going each way with speeding cars day and night. I didn't need speed bumps to protect my sorry ass. None of the moms who lived on the street bitched and whined. My parents would let me play in the front yard and ride up and down the street on my bike when I was 8. I would be gone for hours and hours at a time on my own. Never got hit by a car, and neither did any of the other kids. I never even lost a toy (like a ball or whatnot) in the street as I played. I knew that staying out of the street would more than likely be advantageous to my health.

Nowadays speed bumps are required since parents are too lazy to parent properly and their kids are dumbasses.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: