Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Ziegfeld closed?

Author Topic: Ziegfeld closed?
Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2003 05:16 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clearview's Ziegfeld in NYC seems closed. I don't know if it's temporary or permanent. It would really be a shame if this beautiful single-screener is closed. I know that Disney wanted to buy it a few years back, but Clearview refused to sell it to them.

Anyone know what's going on? Anyone here with Clearview?

[ 09-13-2003, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Martin Brooks ]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-13-2003 05:23 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a side note, I love Clearview's policy trailer. I found it online a while back and downloaded it to my hard disk. I'll see if i can dig up the link.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2003 07:37 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked the Clearview Cinemas webpage. They show the next engagement at the Ziegfeld as BROTHER BEAR opening on 10/24.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-13-2003 08:03 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Don't know if it's the same Clearview Cinemas, but here's that Policy Trailer I was talking about.
No sacrificing your goat!

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 07:48 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I visited the theater today..there's supposedly been some kind of booth upgrade and the theater is reopening around 9/23. The sign stated that the next attraction is Brother Bear, but isn't that getting released on 11/1?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-14-2003 08:50 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe getting a new Barco DLP projector to replace the one they've had for a few years? AFAIK, "Brother Bear" will have some digital "prints".

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 08:13 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who live around the NY area the concept of Clearview owning the Ziegfeld is almost sacreligious--their meat and potatoes were 1920 vintage suburban NJ singles in affluent communities which had been twinned or trippled, and usually the only aspiration to quality was the phoney electric fireplace they installed-pure schlock. I thought Regal had acquied Clearview some time ago...does anyone know?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-15-2003 08:56 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About a week to two weeks ago they were playing "The Way We Were". I live three blocks away from the theatre.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 09-15-2003 10:10 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know Clearview is still in business. They have sold off some of their single houses but still maintain the majority. As most of you know they are owned by Cablevision which also owns the Radio City Music Hall, Madison Square Garden, The New York Knicks, The New York Rangers and until recently owned the WIZ Stores. Many were closed, and I believe the remaing stores were sold.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-15-2003 10:15 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ziegfeld is still listed on Clearview Cinemas website, but showtimes are unavailable:

http://www.clearviewcinemas.com/cgi-bin/locations.cgi?id=042&flag=diplay_theatre

http://clearview.moviefone.com/showtimes/theater.adp?theaterid=602&uid=11650

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-15-2003 10:32 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Martin said about possible booth upgrade.

Sometimes First-Run Premiere houses go through a week or two of down time. Before major release seasons like summer and late fall to do booth and house maintenance and repairs.
Because in Los Angeles who had large single screen theatres like Village, National, Bruin, Century Plaza and Cinerama Dome go dark for a week or two for maintenance during slow periods of time.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 02:51 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John P.,

If you go to either of those sites and hit "Change Showdate" on the listing screen, it pops up with Oct 24, etc. I'm surprised tickets are available so early, but it looks like Disney is planning a run similar to what they do at the El Capitan.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 10:46 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clearview is still in business, but AFAIK, the chain is still for sale. They've closed a few theaters, but in NYC, they own the following 28 screens at 9 locations:
59th St. East
Beekman
1st & 62nd (6)
Chelsea West (2)
Chelsea Cinema (9)
Ziegfeld
62nd & Broadway
Metro Twin (2)
Cobble Hill Fiveplex (Brooklyn)

Clearview acquired these theaters when Loews-Cineplex Odeon was forced to sell theaters to get their merger approved in 1998. When first built, the Chelsea 9 had two screens that were THX certified, although they never sounded all that great.

Clearview has closed the Art Greenwich, Regency, Olympia, the Waverly Twin (which is becoming an IFC triplex), the Park & 86th St Twin and the Loews 34th St. Showplace.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2003 05:54 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ziegfeld is still Clearview, and the chain is no longer up for sale. After they realized that they would get nowhere near the price that they wanted, Cablevision spun off the theaters and I belive MSG into a new company called Rainbow Holdings. Same management, but a different way of accouinting so these operations don't drag down the bottom line of the parent company.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: