Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Some people are too gullible. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Some people are too gullible.
Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2003 07:55 PM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This Happen to a friend on mine and of course i have to tell everybody.

My friend who works for a car dealer ship in the body shop, is new at his job. Apparently he did not have anything to do, so the other guys at work decided to play a trick on him. They told him that the car on the lot need to have "fresh air" in the tires. Ask him to go out there and deflate the old air out and put new air in.
so he goes out and starts. They let him do about 2 cars before they told him whats up.
I can truly say that my friend is an idiot. [Smile]

Brings me to a question, what other stories do have.

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2003 11:17 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An old usher 'break-in' trick was to have the new 'gullible' ushers refill the water fountains in the lobby. They ususally were up to a few gallons before they figured out it was a joke.

How about straw inventory? I have had many a bored employee count individual straw boxes to see how many individually wrapped straws come in a case.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-13-2003 11:27 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go find the marquee stretcher.

Go find the squeegee sharpener.

Go outside and stand in traffic and die, thus improving the world.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-14-2003 12:29 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or in the old days, the carbon stretcher. And on stage it would be the plywood bender or a bag of toenails. Or go clean the reflector on a Genarco followspot. Or tie a draggin' bowline knot...

At the airport it would be a bucket of propwash, or a roll of flight line, or a roll of airfoil...

What was funny was not having to prep anyone before sending the newbie out. Everyone would just go along with it, running the poor guy/gal all over the place. Much hilarity ensued at the newbie's expense. [evil]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-14-2003 01:13 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course in the US Navy on board ship, we sent the "newbies" that were fresh out of boot camp to the Forward Diesel to get a bucket of Diesel Fuel for the "Smoker's Lamp." [Big Grin]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-14-2003 01:42 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda reminds me of taking friends "snipe hunting."

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 03:17 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sending the new ushers out to get a gallon of Technicolor for aging prints is always one of my favorites.

A friend of mine used to be a plane captain on the USS America flight deck. He would have the newbies get "exhaust samples" from the Tomcats with garbage bags.

Stephen Brown
Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 07:14 AM      Profile for Stephen Brown   Email Stephen Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-With a dodgy print you always send the trainee out for a packet of new sprocket holes.

-Make sure they do the work with a Left Handed Screwdriver

-Send them downstairs for a short wait.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 09-14-2003 09:17 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago, you could ask a newbie to get the curtian key to close it, or a sky hook....

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-14-2003 12:25 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen's left-handed screwdriver reminded me of the metric adjustable wrench (spanner).

Jim Alexander
Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 04:20 PM      Profile for Jim Alexander   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Alexander   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a rather fridget day in Ottawa, years ago, when I was in the Canadian Armed Forces, I sent a young, gulible lad to find the the extension cord to plug in the block heaters on the T-33 Silverstars so that they would start for the pilot's. Joke was, jet engines don't have block heaters. Irony was the young lad was a newly trained engine tech... go figure.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 08:02 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to give the phone to someone and say "here it's for you." But there really isnt anyone there. haha cracks me up everytime.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-14-2003 09:06 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Send your "guy" out to the auto parts store to buy a radiator hose for a (original vintage) V.W. Beetle. [Big Grin]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-14-2003 10:08 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, don't forget to get a new set of muffler bearings when you buy your new muffler for your car. [Smile]

We also sent some of our newbies in the navy to get 50 feet of chow line. Another is to send a kid up to the forecastle deck and "Weigh the Anchor."

Don't forget the old "Seabat" thing that is very popular with newbies.

[ 09-14-2003, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: Paul G. Thompson ]

Jannette McQueen
Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 11:51 PM      Profile for Jannette McQueen   Email Jannette McQueen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Edit: removed some possibly ill comments regarding an usher]

[ 09-15-2003, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Jannette McQueen ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: