Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » DVD Players w/built-in DD decoding

Author Topic: DVD Players w/built-in DD decoding
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-14-2003 03:15 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it hard to find a player that has Dolby Digital decoding built-in, so you get 6 line level signals off the back?

On the other hand are there standalone DD decoders that take optical or coax digital output from a DVD player and provide audion outputs (as opposed to a receiver)?

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 03:21 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a SONY DVD player with 6 channel line level out. I also think that SONY had a few decoder units at one time. It may be hard to find those now because most receivers are starting to come equiped standard with Dolby Digital and dts decoders.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-14-2003 09:33 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The high-end players tend to be the ones that have the decoded outputs. I know Panasonic has/had a real high-end player (gold in color and price too) that had the outputs all decoded for you.

From Dolby you can get professional decodes like the DMA-8 for Cinema or DP-564 for Broadcast.

DMA-8

DP-564

For consumer, Lexicon kinda makes the standard by which others are judged Lexicon Home Theatre

Steve

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-14-2003 11:00 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just about any DVD-A capable DVD player will feature built in Dolby Digital and DTS decoding. That's because there is no digital output for the high rez MLP audio stream. They provide the capability for 5.1 analog output for all the signals. There is a downside in that most DVD-A players have no bass management. Your receiver might take care of that, but often at the harm of converting the analog signal back into the digital domain and introducing a generational loss in audio quality.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-14-2003 11:41 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes they have DVD playes with the 6 outputs. I have a Technics model sh-AC300 stand alone processor that processes the bit stream into 6 individual out puts.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-14-2003 12:35 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an XWave with all 6 outputs.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-14-2003 01:08 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curious why you want the DD decoder built-in? If you must have it before the processor/receiver then get a seperate box for the decoder.

A few years back when I got into DVD's, I held out for a DVD player with built-in DD decoding (so I could run 6-Channel audio through the AUX inputs at the theatre if needed) but I gave up on that pursuit after several DVD players up and died on me after about a year (...and no more warranty). They just don't seem built-to-last and the current prices of DVD players make them practically disposable.

This is why I don't buy DVD players with anything else built into them, including DD decoders, VHS players, multi-disc play (coz I don't want to lose discs when the Eject feature goes).

Those first DVD players were all SONY and my second set were APEX. I'm now on my third set (APEX again) but only the SONY's had DD decoders inside. They were in the $500 range. My new Apex's were $60 each.

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 09:49 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a Sony DVP-S500D for 4+ years with built in decoding. After upgrading my receiver to a unit with built-in DD/DTS I have noticed a significant difference in the sound. I haven't bothered to connect the DVD 6-out to the receiver 6-in, but I may experiment to see if it was the DVD player or my old receiver that was the problem. There are also external DD decoders available, Yamaha, Marantz, Sony...check ebay.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: