Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Ever Heard of Dish Night?

Author Topic: Ever Heard of Dish Night?
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-14-2003 01:14 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When my mom was growing up in New York circa 1940s-50s her aunts used to take her to the movies on a weeknight -- Wednesday, I think -- and this was known as "dish night."

Each person got a glass dish and the idea was eventually you'd have a complete set if you went to the movies a lot.

She still has her gravy boat and a few other pieces!

|  IP: Logged

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 01:41 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. My mom remembers those as well. It seemed to be a trend that neighborhood theatres used to fill seats during hard times. Theatres even gave away china sets back in the days of the nickelodeons. In the sixties, some local theatres had bingo nights, even first-runs. Saturday kids shows were great for drawings, giving away bikes, games, toys, etc.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-14-2003 08:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never found any evidence of "dish night" here but our theatre used to do "Bank Night" on Wednesdays. They would have a cash jackpot, people would sign up all week, and if the winner was not present for the Wednesday nite drawing, the cash would be added to the next week's jackpot. I have an old "complimentary" ticket here that says "Not good on Sundays or Bank Nights."

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 01:50 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Dish Night was a very common promotional tool in theaters all over the US. There were many others, too, none uncommon & all pretty well known. Most began during the depression, but Dish Nights recurred in places even into the 1950s. Mike already mentioned Bank Night, there was also Country Store Night in which a bag of groceries was given away (very widely done in midwest & northeast US cities, more rare in the west & south), & a number of game-of-chance type nights where they'd spin a wheel onstage & the winning ticket number won cash or a prize.

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 10:15 AM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had dish night also.

Does anyone remember Breeze Laundry Soap?

In the box you got a bath towel in each box.

I think they also gave away glasses too.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 09-15-2003 10:23 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to say this but I also remember Dish Night and as I recall adult tickets were a quarter and children a Dime.

However on Saturdays Matinees they Charged Children a quarter for a double feature with a cartoon, travelogue and a serial episode.

They had a matron on duty to watch the kids, so the Mom's went shopping. [Smile]

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 02:35 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, don't "...hate to say..." it Bob. We've had the privilege of helping pioneer this business and today it seems we're surrounded by kids, some of which don't seem to understand the exhibition industry. And you personally are helping take it into a new era. I remember "dish night" and "buck night" and continuous matinees as well as starting the show with a newsreel and cartoon. I probably have a few years on you but have never lost my passion for the showmanship of exhibition.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: