Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Regal's "The 20wenty"

Author Topic: Regal's "The 20wenty"
Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 03:40 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I know there was another very brief discussion about this, but I couldn't find it.)

I'm curious to know who has gone to a Regal theatre and has seen their new digital projection pre-show thing "The 20wenty" (or however it's spelled.) It's filled with commercials for ABC Television, Coke, and music videos.

I'm curious to know what other Film-Tech members think of this? This has just started showing up at the Regal's (actually United Artists) here in San Francisco.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-14-2003 06:02 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I think it is quite cheesey, and way too loud for preshow entertainment. Then the show starts and MORE ADS on film. Some of them are even the same ads you just saw. Even after that they seem to have at least 6 or 7 trailers.

Maybe they should rename it "the HOUR".

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 07:57 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is 20wenty supposed to mean?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-14-2003 09:07 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
twenty minutes

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 09:34 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, my understanding is that the rolling stock ads are supposed to be removed once the L6 system is working. That's not to say that it actually happens though!! Also, I have been told that different films will have different lengths of the "20wenty", so perhaps it should be the "variable 20wenty" instead. Not as catchy though...

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 10:19 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 20wenty is approximatly 20 minutes long. Trevor is correct that it changes according to the movie. (just as the rolling stock ads were movie specific). He is also correct that there are not supposed to be rolling stock ads after the 20wenty. The 20wenty is also timed so that it ends AT the advertised show start time. So in theory what you see if you walk into the theater at the advertised show start time is a welcome tag, buy candy tag, trailers, enjoy the show, digital tag (if they want) and then feature.
The same system (Christie L6 Road runner projectors) is what is used for displaying special events such as the recent KISS symphony concert.
Jonathan

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-14-2003 11:31 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jons right. If they continue to run rolling stock after the 2wenty has ended, talk with the management.

The 2wenty is time variable because advertisers can choose to target advertise certain products with certain films. Some Disney Movies do not permit the standard 1 minute sots, so in that case only the four major segments are played followed by a PSA or two. Thw twenty alos contains segments which are rating spacific.

Oh, BTW, Regal Policy stipulates that the Digital sound tag goes before the preview not after.

At advertised showtime:
1."Regal Policy" (Digital L6)
2."Regal Still Logo Card (Digital L6) stays on screen untill Start button is pressed on the 35mm projecter
---Masking changed to scope if need be ----
---Lights go to 50%-----
3. Digital Sound Tag (Film)- If the theatre is equipt/wants to play them
4. MPAA "Movies Are Worth It: Don't Pirate" (Film)- Only some theatres play it
5. Trailers (Film)
---Lights go to very dim---
6. Feature (Film)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-15-2003 01:05 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they have stopped running the "rolling stock" ads by now. I know I would if I were projectionist. But it is still too loud for preshow entertainment. Management is not available at Regal theaters.

The only good thing about "The Twenty" (I refuse to spell it with the actual number, as that is just plain retarded) is that is forces actual intermission times between shows, unlike some theaters *coughMadstonecough* who insist on only having 2 to 10 minutes MAX from when the lights come up until the next show begins.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 01:48 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen Regal's digital preshow, but I think the NCN digital preshow looks pretty pathetic.

The slideshow looks great, but the rolling stock looks like an internet download. David Goldstein looks like he is sitting in a closet and all you see is his bright orange goatee, and in the dick tracy scenes you can somewhat make out a car moving.

As was previously stated, I prefer the digital much more than putting the snipes on the print. It's good to know that the ads will be over by show start time. IF something goes wrong with the times, just hit start and they are gone.

Plus, it saves a lot of time during build-up.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-15-2003 03:29 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Mike's post, Fox's piracy snipes aren't run off of the RoadRunner... they're run off of film.

Which is it? [Confused]

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 05:55 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I've come across The 20wenty I have not seen any sound format snipe or anti-piracy trailer. This is the practice at the Regal Warrington Crossing, Regal Marketplace at Oaks, and UA Union Square.

Now if AMC was as aggressive on arty product as Regal is . . . [Wink]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-15-2003 06:56 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Piracy snipes and Digital format snipes are currently run on film. It would not be possable to run the sound system snipe over the twenty, because it uses the non sync inputs. Most of the Regal theatres do not run the sound system snipes anyway (But we do!)

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-15-2003 11:40 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw an NCN show last week and the anti-piracy whine was part of the digitized crap. Nice smooth transition to the film program though. This was at a fairly new AMC.

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2003 11:02 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about theaters in your area, but a the Regal Peoples Plaza 17, if I'm not in my seat when the 20 starts, there is a good chance I won't get to sit where I want to. This forces me to get to the movie early (as the thing says) and be bombarded with this crap. When (If) I end up owning the Newark Cinema Center (my favorite theater), the first item on the chopping block will be the slide ads. I'll put the slide projectors to better use (nice projected logos on the curtains (the big house) and screens (the small houses) prior to showtime.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: