Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Hurricane Isabel (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hurricane Isabel
Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 10:22 AM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isable is about 820 miles south-southeast of Cape Hatteras, N.C. and about 525 miles east of Nassau in the Bahamas.

How is everyone in the affected area doing?

Can you keep us updated what is going on locally in your area.

Also how do prepare a theater for this type of event?

|  IP: Logged

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2003 02:01 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those things usually have slow forward movement; Isabel's is now (checking) 7 mph. It's downgraded to a Category 3, but that's still a monster for the east coast. Even if it's just a rain-a-cane (inundations of rain more than damaging wind) when it arrives, the developed areas won't be able to handle the volume of water. There was one here a few years ago (Danny?) that just moved into the bay & sat there, raining for days on the coast. A lot! 25" in 7 hours!

On the other hand, they usually intensify just before striking land. Then too, there are the ones that hang out for a LONG time off the coast & grind everthing down with wind & rain before actually making landfall & a big finish.

I saw on the news people freaking out all over the east coast & boarding up, even with it so far out & unable to tell where it would strike. Better safe than sorry, I suppose, Camille suddenly developed into a Category 5 a short-ish time before landfall.

This is an interesting page with some pictures from Camille, which was more of a "dry" hurricane:
http://www.geocities.com/hurricanene/hurricanecamille.htm

Times have changed! Camille was the first "modern" hurricane, with forecast technology & mass communication being able to reach enough folks to move them out of there effectively. Previously, the force was a sort of guesswork, & not everyone would get the message or be disposed to believe it (some hurricanes could be "rode out", but they weren't all the same intensity!)

Another interesting change in the times & getting folks to evacuate: for Hurricane Audrey (1957), a storm with VERY destructive winds & incredible flooding made even worse in a time before planning & construction for possible massive tropical storm drainage was done, the most deaths were the result of *snake bites* - the survivors of the actual storm, swimming or in homes, high grounds, etc., were killed by water moccasins borne in or poisonous terrestrial snakes driven from their usual habitats.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-16-2003 02:21 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the news, it is going to be a nasty one.

Vice Adm. Gary Roughead, commander of the U.S. Second Fleet, ordered 40 ships and submarines based in the Norfolk, Va. area to head to sea Tuesday to avoid being battered against piers by high winds.

About 30 vessels, including two aircraft carriers, that cannot be moved were "being battened down as tight as possible, tightening all the hatches," said Lt. Scott McIlnay, a Navy spokesman.

Also Tuesday, the Air Force will fly about 60 planes from Langley Air Force Base in Hampton to Grissom Air Force Base in Indiana, said Capt. Jeff Glenn, spokesman for the 1st Fighter Wing at Langley.

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2003 08:58 AM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We spent last weekend cleaning up the yard and making sure all loose objects were secured. Right now it looks like it will pass north of us but hurricanes can make their mind up and change on a dime. Hopefully we will only see some tropical force winds here in Wilmington NC. Schools will close Wed night to prepare the schools as shelters if needed. They have a plan that changes the interstate to all 4 lanes going west to relieve some of the congestion. It will be with in a 100 miles of us. I have DSL and all phone lines are buried so as long as I have power I will be able to communicate online. [beer]

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2003 02:03 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike better batten down the hatches. As of this hour there is a hurricane warning from Cape Fear NC to Chincoteague VA, including lower Chesapeake Bay.

The Jersey shore, Delaware Bay, upper Chesapeake Bay and Potomac River basin are under a tropical storm warning. This means Washington DC will not be spared from Isabel's wrath.

The National Hurricane Center has a good website. Its homepage has links to the latest advisory and warnings/watches whenever there is a hurricane.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2003 03:11 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Navy had it pretty hard up when a hurricane comes though. Not only do they need to move the ships at Norfolk, but also at Little Creek Amphib base. As well as the aircraft at Oceana and Norfolk. I remember being in that neck of the woods during Gloria, everyone packed up and left town. Luckily upon returing there was minimal damage. Hopefully damage will be minimal this time too (hey, we can cross our fingers).

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2003 12:30 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been tracking this storm for a week now. I don't think this storm is going to do as much damage as the media has everyone hyped into. This hurricane is the news of the minute and they are saying everything possible to get it on the air. I was watching the news earlier and the newscaster (who was on the beach) stated "The wind is blowing so hard I'm having difficulty standing up"... B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T ! We're 200+ miles away and it hasn't begun to make landfall yet.. and they continue to hype it up....

I don't mean to sound insensitive here, but the media is going a bit overboard here.... [thumbsdown] .{at least in this area}

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2003 12:40 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it's a slow news week.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2003 01:00 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason Black is correct about the media latching onto a story because it sells hard interest. I look at the crystal ball & I see... I see... lots of ads for generators on your TV. And I know of one very high profile US cable station which is closely watched during weather disturbances putting out BS - a hurricane was expected to hit Gulf Shores, AL then shifted east towards Pensacola FL, the reporter tried to follow it, found that the police had closed the highways going into FL, traffic was backed up, & a radio guy in a station van stopped in traffic leaning against the van smoking a cigarette SAW the reporter hop out of the cable station's satellite truck furious that she couldn't get into FL, had the camera guy set up, & in dead calm weather reported "I'm here in Pensacola Florida, in the eye of the hurricane!"

And who is that doofus on the Weather Channel who goes to where the hurricanes are coming, stands outside so the wind whips his raincoat & blows his hair, & breathlessly says "The hurricane is coming here!" What is the freaking point? Everybody where the hurricane is coming is staring at him on the TV & saying, "Dumbass, get out of the rain!"

On the other hand, a category 2 can do HUGE damage. Hurricane Georges was a category 2 at landfall & created extensive damage in coastal Mississippi. It would be far worse in the more built-up east coast area. Aside from the initial damage, which is what you'll read of in reports, there was much more damage as a result of not being able to get enough contractors & workers in fast enough to fix damaged roofs, etc. Many buildings had extensive damagage resulting from water & rain in weeks after the hurricane came, & had to be demolished.

There was a year or 2 when consecutive category 2 storms hit southern (coastal) Baldwin County Alabama, which is fairly rural away from the coast. Some buildings destroyed, some OK, but it took a long time to get down there because the wind damage of trees snapped (PINE TREES snapped! They usually just bend horribly, unlike oaks, etc.) and across the roads for miles, etc. And that's just the roads, not considering all the wreckage everywhere there wasn't a road. Right place at the right time has a lot to do with it, & also how much material is nearby to create destructive windblown debris.

The east coast usually gets lucky with low storm surges, but if it's a very rainy hurricane, the problems all pile up & become catastrophic over a short period of time.

Mapquest shows Mike Fitzgerald's Castle Hayne as only 10 miles from the coast. I've been in many a hurricane, but in buildings built as bomb shelters (double block walls). Many houses have made it through many hurricanes, many make it through just one, & many just go after many years when the right one comes to them. It's spinning the Wheel Of Fortune, & if I were Mike Fitzgerald, I'd board it up & get the hell out before the traffic makes it impossible. And that is what I do. I just always have a place to go nearby that's a bunker. Russian Roulette with one bullet is still deadly.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2003 10:20 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless of how much the media blows hurricane reports out of proportion, they can be one of nature's more destructive storms.
I'm glad that I live where hurricanes rarely wreak havoc. In fact, I can only recall Maine having a rough time with two hurricanes, one was Gloria - power was out where I lived for 3-4 days, the other was Bob - hit Maine on my 13th birthday, power was out for at least a day. I do live within 20 miles of the coast.

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2003 11:14 AM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The storm has not been the worst, we have been lucky here so far, there is a west wind helping to keep it at bay some what. Still lots of wind and waves at the beach 6-12 feet. We still have power and phone. The eye is coming on shore about 60 mile north of us so in another few hours we should be thru it. I have a few branches down in the front yard and lots of small twigs and leaves but no flooding.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2003 06:46 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Up here in the mountains of western NC, we are starting to get alot of wind and cloud movement. Some gusts up to 45 mph right now. The humidity is high, too.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2003 07:34 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 50 F-15s temporarily weathering the storm here at Grissom Air Reserve Base in central Indiana.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2003 08:54 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isabel didn't do a great deal of damage around here, but she sure left her mark on us. Got a call last night that our power went completely out around 10:00PM, just after the last set of shows got up and running. I instructed my operators on duty to leave at 11:30 if the power did not come back. It didn't.

I had to go in early this AM to run off the shows that had stopped the previous night. Also had to call TES and our delivery carrier for ETS prints and tell them that we would not have outgoing prints for them (no power, no breakdowns). Then had to move prints for Friday schedule. Fortunately, everyone was understanding and cooperative.

Thankfully, I had all the new prints built and ready to go yesterday afternoon. Had everything up and running by the 11:30AM opening. All things considered. it could have been worse. Hope everyone else got through it OK.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2003 01:54 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't think this storm is going to do as much damage as the media has everyone hyped into.
Washington DC: Over 530,000 lost power -- the largest power failure ever for Pepco.

Maryland: Baltimore Gas and Electric had 650,000 customers in all knocked out. Full service may not come back until late Friday.

Virginia and North Carolina: Largest power failure ever for Dominion Power -- over 1.8 million customers out.

North Carolina (cont'd): Progress Energy had 320,000 without power. Most customers to get power back by midnight tonight, hardest-hit areas by midnight tomorrow.

Mid-Atlantic: Allegheny Power has 214,000 in four states without power. Isolated areas may not get power back until Tuesday night.

At least New Jersey weathered Isabel well. [Wink] PSE&G had 227,000 customers out; most got power back by last night, all by noon today. Conectiv lost 300,000 customers in four states; of that total 20,000 in New Jersey were still out this morning.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: