Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » MAC OS X Film-Tech access problem (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: MAC OS X Film-Tech access problem
Don E. Nelson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 03:17 PM      Profile for Don E. Nelson   Email Don E. Nelson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to run my G4 in the classic 9 mode ever since I upgraded to OS X. I even tried the Camino browser but that didn't work. Any one else have this problem, Its a hassle to reboot every time I want to access Film Tech.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-15-2003 03:23 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WHY do you have to use classic mode?

What, specifically, is the problem with OS X?

Now I prepare no point out firewall issues -- FT requires that the HTTP_REFERER value is sent.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-15-2003 03:28 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
FT requires that the HTTP_REFERER value is sent.

I was under the impression access to film-tech is free.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 09-15-2003 03:43 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you wake up to reality, you'll see that nothing is free. [Razz]

Kristin Wahlund
Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 05:36 PM      Profile for Kristin Wahlund   Email Kristin Wahlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have OS X abd i dont have any problems using film-tech. weird.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-15-2003 05:40 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don, does the browser even prompt you to log in? Any new browsers won't know your password and login from another browser.

Matt Hale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 06:16 PM      Profile for Matt Hale   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never had a problem with Camino, Mozilla, or Mozilla Firebird (all based on Gecko)

Safari and OmniWeb (based on Webkit) seem to work as long as I don't use the back button.

If you must use a classic browser Netscape 4.8 is not pretty but can be made to work.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-15-2003 06:52 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can access F-T fine using Internet Explorer.

I have contacted both Apple and Brad regarding the back button issue in many other browsers including Safari (which I use to browse everything else)

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-15-2003 07:08 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Camino 90% of the time on both my Macs.

I have the same problem as Matt and Mike: When using Safari to access the site the "Back" button doesn't work. Other than that, I have no problem at all.

What, exactly, is the problem getting F.T. to load? Do you have problems with other sites? Which other browsers have you tried? Does Internet Exploder not work, even?

If you like Camino you should check out this one little piece of software: Camino Knight. Get it at the author's Web Page.
Since Camino is in continual development there are nightly updates just about every day. ("Day" defined as a period of 24 hours. [Wink] ) Camino Knight can be used to check for nightly updates and automatically downloads them. It installs the new version, backs up the old version and allows you to revert back to the pervious version if you find problems. It's well worth the price! [Wink]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-15-2003 08:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also don't forget to repair permissions at least 3 or 4 times a day as Mac OS X requires. OK maybe once a month. [Smile]

You can repair permissions under "Disk Utilities". I am in OS 9 now (like I am 96% of the time, since it is just so much damn faster and less clunky) so I can't tell you exactly how to get to Disk Utility. I think it's Macintosh HD (or whatever your boot drive is called) > Applications > Utilities > Disk Tools??? I dunno. Where ever it is, it's through a maze of other things.

PS - Try highlighting text in OS X (on a web page for instance). Notice the text doesn't change color to stand out so you can read what you've highlighted. LAME! If anyone can get their OS X to do this properly, please post a screenshot with instructions on what you did.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 10:21 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using Mac OSX and Safari and I have the same problem - I can't use the Back Button..this drives me nuts. The site gives me the bookmarking error. This is the ONLY site that I can find that has this problem. I use UBB BBSs on other sites and I don't have that problem.

And as far as I remember, I don' t think Film Tech always had this problem. I think it started after the last BBS upgrade.

As far as highlighting text is concerned, I do not have that problem when actually selecting text (mouse click down). I can highlight text on this site, for example, and it highlights fine. Where I do have a problem with Safari, but not IE, is that on a web page, if you program the HTML to have certain text highlight on mouseover, it doesn't always highlight, or it highlights inconsistently.

I've used Mac OSX since the day it was released. I've had to change permissions a few times on files they don't really want you to delete, but I've never had to repair permissions.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-15-2003 10:29 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

-

APPLE > System Preferences... > General

Select highlight color from the popup menu.

Yes, Joe, OS X does take a lot of getting used to but... Get used to it! Uncle Steve says you have to! [Big Grin]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 09-16-2003 12:22 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe wants the text to turn a different colour, like white, when you highlight it... just like Windows. [Smile]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-16-2003 01:05 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OS 9 does that as well, Daryl. What if a web page were that exact shade of blue (or very similar)? You would have no idea what you were highlighting. It is a flaw built in to Mac OS X.

Martin, it is always a good idea to repair permissions. Lots of people do it anytime after they install something. Usually when someone has a problem with OS X, the first question asked is "Did you repair disk permissions?" I, too, thought it couldn't affect much, but apparently it does. Unix is crazy that way I guess. I also really LOVE the way you can't install apps on any other drive except the boot drive.

I am in OS X right now (playing with Final Cut Pro 4's scopes) and the correct path is Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility. Launch it and click the first aid tab. It is always a bad idea to repair permissions from a bootable CD, because they will be out of date. Also I'd recommend getting Disk Warrior. It's great. Mine boots into OS 9 and repairs any problems with the disks and also defragments. If your computer can not boot into OS 9, then you will be forced to get the newest version of Disk Warrior which boots into OS X, but does not offer defragmentation.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-16-2003 08:08 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do any of you programmer-types know why Safari doesn't work with Film-Tech?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: