Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » My new "ALL DIGITAL" virtual triplex

Author Topic: My new "ALL DIGITAL" virtual triplex
John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2003 12:13 AM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As many of you know, I am a "Wammer" (refer to some earlier posts if you don't know what I'm talking about)

Somebody recently started an online, VR, WAM-oriented chat. I purchased advertising in the form of a "store" which I have converted into a 3-screen cinema. I'm posting digital images (screencaps) of it here, because, since it isn't an actual theater, I figured it didn't qualify for the picture warehouse.

-
The outside of the theater, as viewed from the front.

-
The interior of the theater, as viewed from the entrance. House 1 to the left, House 2 to the right, House 3 plainly visible in the back to the right, snack bar (not really, but it might as well be) and guest services to the left in the back.

-
House 1 entrance & wall. (the front wall of the building says "Click here for info on upcoming films you may enjoy, although they do not feature WAM.")

-
House 2 & 3. All 3 walls link to the same site, for now anyway, and it's the same version of the trailer they'll see regardless of which theater they "enter".

On some computers, the trailer will even play at 2k resolution (sure, if you watch it in full screen on a monitor set to 2k (or higher) resolution, the picture will measure at least 2000 pixels wide)

Just thought someone might get a kick out of this.

And since it's 100% pure digital, it's 1,000-- no make that 1,000,000 times better than any actual brick-and-mortar theater anywhere in the entire universe! So there!

George Lucas, eat your heart out!

|  IP: Logged

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2003 12:19 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where are the urns? How can you have a theater without urns?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-18-2003 11:11 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And since it's 100% pure digital, it's 1,000-- no make that 1,000,000 times better than any actual brick-and-mortar theater anywhere in the entire universe! So there!

Although your content is great, on my monitor it looks like typical digital --- unsharp when you look at it closely. [Razz]

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2003 04:38 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The interior of the theater is 4 JPEG files measuring 200x134 pixels (this is so that the room will load within a reasonable amount of time for all of us poor shmoes on dial-up.)

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-18-2003 05:02 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It reminds me a little of the old Wolfenstein 3D thing, but with no monsters.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-18-2003 05:54 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Bobby. At least Castle Wolfenstein had the correct perspectives and the image was sharp on my Atari 800! [evil] [Big Grin] [beer]

>>> Phil

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-18-2003 10:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Castle Wolfenstein is soooo last month. Doom is where it's at now. Doom has monsters that growl at you. When you get close to the monsters, they are blocky just like in real life! Go out and get Doom right now! You need at least a half-MHZ Intel 186 processor and a video card with three colors (RGB). You will also need a sound card so the monsters can growl at you. Doom ownz you!

-

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-19-2003 12:42 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! 5 1/4" floopy! Just like the kind I used on a Compaq Deskpro 8088 back in 1986!

Didn't the Radio Shack TRS-80 ("Trash-80") computer use those things too? That's what we had in high school, along with some Apple IIe computers (pre-Mac). The TRS-80 had a whopping 16K of RAM.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-19-2003 02:18 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah yous...and I was soooo happy when they finally were able to store 180K! I also have some 8" floppies...Ummmm, DISKS!

(I've ONLY heard about all this stuff...I was too young to "be there, done that"!)

>>> Phil

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-19-2003 04:16 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My TRS-80 used a tape recorder to save files & data! [Eek!]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-19-2003 05:45 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, I remember those... I hated it when it took 20 minutes to load a game and then have it come up with an error and not run! YUK!!!

The 90K floppy was were it was at!

>>> Phil

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 02:04 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Timex/Sinclair in a drawer somewhere. Storage is on cassette tapes, via patching to consumer-provided cassette player. You guys can keep your frequently-obsoleting media like floppies.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: