Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Does Anyone Still Do Pre Movie Light Shows

Author Topic: Does Anyone Still Do Pre Movie Light Shows
Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2003 04:30 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just asking , as we had a private movie showing for a family group at a Private cinema with all the pre-movie entertainment we used to have , lights dimming , Non sync music increasing in volume and the lights changing through the rainbow on the curtains , which I enjoyed , but some of the younger ones just made comments , like "Get on with it ....etc." for us as kids it was a magical time that took us into another world and the pre show was part of that experience .... seems our kids are from the super market multiplex age of "show it and go" whats your thoughts and does anyone still do it ???? or is time limiting this . When we were younger we could go the the cinema 15 mins before show time ,sit and soak at the ambience of the cinema , listen to the pre show music and have a generally relaxing time , now it is shove you in ,Blast you with adds and trailers and kick you out as soon as the credits roll . [Confused]

[ 09-18-2003, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Paul Cassidy ]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-18-2003 05:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be in the mobile DJ business and we still have a bunch of the lighting equipment.

Every year our high school puts on an "alcohol free" party for the graduating seniors, which usually culminates in a movie at the Roxy. We always set up some of the moving lites and crank up some current popular extra-loud "music" on the CD player for the preshow. We turn the main houselights way down so it has kind of a nightclub atmosphere. The kids really like it....often they run down to the front and start dancing until the movie starts.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2003 07:41 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used to flood the screen with various colored stage lights as the audience was arriving for "Classic Films", and slowly dim them as we started the film. Also over the end credits, we used to bring up a single color (ie. red or blue). That was 38 years ago. Guess I'm showing my age, but I think the effect was appreciated. [thumbsup]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2003 02:55 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike wrote:
quote:
We always set up some of the moving lites and crank up some current popular extra-loud "music" on the CD player for the preshow. We turn the main houselights way down so it has kind of a nightclub atmosphere. The kids really like it....often they run down to the front and start dancing until the movie starts.

Now that's how to start a show. None of that slideshow crap. [thumbsup]

BTW, I've seen a great book at the bookstore on the Filmore East; an entire section is devoted to the "light show" they used to put on with 16mm and overhead projectors with bowls of dyes and oils. I'd love to see something like that in person.

Danny

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2003 09:21 AM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My following comments relate to the changes in our part of the world Paul, although projectionists in other places may find the information has a familiar ring. Also, it should not be interpreted as denigrating the work of many very fine people in the industry, who work under conditions and restrictions today, that I never faced.

quote:
For us it was a magical time that took us into another world.
That sentence crystallizes a motivation that once existed in the exhibition of motion pictures. The earliest screenings of films were included in live vaudeville performances. These were presented by showmen to audiences to whom even the magic lantern was a wonder. New and larger theatres were built to satisfy the increasing demand for this new entertainment.

Now the owners like Hayward in New Zealand and Fullers and J C Williamson in Australia were not stupid men. They followed the trend overseas of building picture palaces. The idea was that the patrons would step into a world of splendor. The moment they left the pavement, the psychological conditioning had begun. For the very first time in history, the laborer, the farm hand, the maid could for a few pence, feel like a king or queen. They were infact, in opulent souroundings fit for royalty.

The manager greeted them in a dinner suit and the front of house staff in their smart uniforms were polite. None of the phoney "Have a nice day" that has been a recent unfortunate import into this country. These well trained usherettes showed the patrons to their seats, leading the way shining a torch on the floor behind them.

The lobbies and auditoruims were magnificent with marble staircases leading to the best seats in the lounge. There was soft music appropriate to the occasion played. The house lighting and elaborate decor provided facination and admiration. The naked screen was NEVER seen. This would have destroyed the illusion and it was illusion for which that they had paid their money. This was a generation who had never seen tv and radio serials were the only dramatic entertainment at home.

The projectionist was not simply a technition, he was an artist and a master of co-ordination. He understood the psychology of illusion and was trained accordingly. The house lights would dim, the overture would commence at a higher level and everyone knew the show was about to begin. The tradition of showmanship which had started in the vaudival days still influenced the presentation. There were often two curtains a waterfall (festoon) and behind, a set of tabs. Foot lights and overhead border battens with primary colours enabled the curtain to be bathed in changing colours. By mixing, you could get five good colours from red green and blue. Auckland's atmospheric Civic had a cloud effects projector for the ceiling. This theatre, with others, has been faithfully restored including the clouds.

Some theatres had multiple coloured circuits over the procenium arch as well. The Regent Auckland where I worked had so many dimmers, that two lighting boards were required at opposite ends of the projection room and occupied practically the whole of the walls from floor to ceiling. This was before the days of electronic dimming with triacs which minaturised the control. Incidentally, it still had the swimming pool below the stage floor which opened to reveal a live performance of water follies back in the thirties.

The three minute overture at the Regent saw one running from one end of the projection room to the other as the lights were controlled to the phrasing of the music. The lighting display was itself, a performance. As the overture came to an end, the co-ordination of projector motor start, curtain lights, change-over from non-sync to film and the fade in of the picture would be seemless. This was done with one projectionist unless the theatre had a trainee assistant.

This was a creative process and with fifteen hundred or more people in the auditorium, it was a very satifying for the projectionist. For the audience, it was an important part of the conditioning that had started maybe half an hour before. The patrons' expectation of something special had gradually increased until that special moment when the curtain raised and another opened to carry them into a world of make believe.

That was a different time, a time when projectionists were required to pass practical and written examination for A grade certification, a time when they were valued, a time before advertising films, a time when people dressed up to go to the 'pictures', a time when patrons had permanent bookings every week, a simpler time, a time of inocense, a time that is past - never to return, like the Regent, that fell victim to the ball and chain.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2003 03:11 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screen #1 ("The Loews") at the Loews Lincoln Square in NYC does a little automated light show and curtain opening before each show. It usually gets a bit of a laugh from the audience.

I think context plays a large role in whether this works or not. In a typical cinderblock shopping mall multiplex that plays advertising and/or some bad music service, trying to also do something classy is almost a joke. It's like the McDonald's in Manhattan that has a doorman in a tuxedo and top hat.

But if a theater is beautifully appointed and plays suitable walk-in music and doesn't run screen advertising, then I think a bit of a light show and curtain opening can work quite well, especially for "important" films. But even in that case, it can't go on for very long - it can't be done to satisfy the ego of the programmer or operator -- it has to make sense to the audience.

I saw the original roadshow of West Side Story at the Rivoli in Manhattan in the early 1960s. That show started with an overture, with the house lights mostly up and with abstract images that were projected over the curtain. As the house lights came down, the curtains slowly opened and just as the house lights came all the way down, the abstract images changed into the skyline of New York City and we heard the buzz or tone of what seemed like an airplane. As the image focused on one particular playground, the camera zoomed in with the sound of a big chord and the sound spread from mono to 6-channel mag stereo and sounded just great. Now that was the way to start a film.

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2003 03:38 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Warren , I remember the Regent well , apart from the Cinerama (of which I only saw single lens projection)this was my favorite cinema for light shows , truly an awesome sight , the other Auckland cinema that did this well was the more modern Odeon (which still stands), the other theatres St James , Plaza , Century ,Oxford ,Westend and the Embassy were not all that memorable , notably the 2 70mm theatres (Cinerama & Plaza ) only had the huge Red curtains , so not much of a light show on those , but any 70mm film had it's own unique mood setting begining . [beer]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2003 07:35 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here we go, How to put on a light show

Danny

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 02:00 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theatrical oil light projectors were very common in even large theaters that did not use a curtain in the 1970s - usually to make them more modern in appearance. They were very effective & entrancing, folks would sit quietly & stare at the mytic morphing glo-globs until the show started. I wish I could find more information about those projectors: mfr., construction, etc. The light output seems like it would have needed to be substantial, the construction would have required some sort of aperture plate/masking, & the other mechanics of plates & motorization would need to have been reliable.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-23-2003 11:28 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We still do a period light show fairly often, week days and every Saturday evening during the organ show. All our fixtures have four colors, we use 'em all in every possible configuration. No lasers and no wumpa, bumpa music though.

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2003 08:58 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of "pre-show" activities, I might mention the El Capitan Theatre here in Los Angeles. They consistently present what they call a "curtain show", prior to the start of the actual films.
They have 3 curtains, and the "curtain show" consists of various spot & flood lights playing on the various curtains, with music. The show changes pretty much with every feature, but mostly the "changes" are variations in the colors of the lights, the timings, the positions of the spots, etc., things like that.
The physical curtains themselves do not change. First is a conventional fabric drape curtain. Second is a slatted, silvery, highly reflective layer that sparkles in the lowered lights. And finally is a hard-surface (? - Don't know, I've never touched it!) element with a stylized painting, kind of 1030s style, of some elegant dancers. Theatre employees call this curtain the "Fred & Ginger" curtain. The show ends with a spot on "Fred & Ginger" gradually going out (dimming, or irising down to zero), at which time that curtain opens and the film starts, usually with the trailers.
This house has been progressively rebuilt and improved starting back in about 1990 by Disney, and shows exclusively Disney films (with extremely rare exceptions). It also sometimes presents a full live show prior to some attractions, typically Christmas season and early summer.
This year, for example, a fairly long-lived show was presented prior to "Finding Nemo". There were something like 16 dancer/performers who appeared on stage for every show. It ran from opening (in late May) through July 4 weekend. Something like 6 weeks or so.
This is the one place in L.A. that presents such a show, and the costs are tremendous. (Of course, they charge a higher price than any other cinema around, but that goes with the territory when you have live performances!)
The music is recorded, but it's quite a spectacle when you are used to generic multiplex blandness.
(My theatre, which is nearby, is the polar opposite: no curtain at all. At least I have movable masking, which I can sometimes manipulate a bit for some attempt at "presentation". But not much!)
If you are in L.A., check the schedule of the El Capitan. They also have a web site, the exact address of which I don't know, but something like "El Capitan Theatre.com". Google it and you should get something.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-26-2003 08:18 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul! Welcome to Film-Tech. Go 70mm!!! [Smile]

http://www.egyptiantheatre.com/

http://egyptiantheatre.com/amcinebiz/whois.htm#Staff

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: