Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Huh? An advance movie screening of a TV show?

Author Topic: Huh? An advance movie screening of a TV show?
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-19-2003 07:26 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The web page for a new FOX TV show called "Arrested Development" offers tickets to a "Free Advance Movie Screening" of the show in selected cities. I'm assuming this must mean a video presentation in a movie theatre, and not something that's actually on film. ?? Anyone know anything about this?

Arrested Development Advance Screenings

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-19-2003 07:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not uncommon. Back at the UA Greenwood Plaza 12, we ran a screening of some new Fox show. I forget what it was called, but it was very dark and moody and had Lance Whatshisname (Bishop from Aliens) as the star. We showed it on 35mm (on which it was also shot) and it looked great!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-19-2003 07:32 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's shot on film, and presented in 35mm, it could be kind of interesting to see it.

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2003 07:41 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Joe is refering to "Millenium" with Lance Henrickson. I was a part of that Fox "sneak" in Chicago. Here's the kicker. The program originated on 35mm film (1:33) BUT all post was done on video. The 35mm prints that were struck for this sneak were "Kinescoped" from the posted video master. [Big Grin]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-19-2003 07:45 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah that's the show. Perhaps I could not tell it was posted in video since it was such a dark show. (I only got to see about 15 minutes at the most, since I was running 11 other projectors at the time with no timers) All I remember is someones face with the mouth and eyelids stitched closed... or something like that.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-19-2003 08:56 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many US television dramatic shows are shot on 35mm film. "Sitcoms" are a mix, "reality shows" are often video.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2003 07:15 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a 35mm print of an I Love Lucy show about 2 years ago. I was amazed at just how much make-up they wore. I dont know where the print is now, though.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2003 10:12 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When my friend worked at a GCC (ironically the "ex-GCC" I'm at now) they had a screening of the pilot episode of the Comedy Central Cartoon "Dr. Katz Professional Therapist" complete with trailers to put on all of your other prints to promote it.

One of the trailers is still at the theater. It shows the GCC logo right before the Comedy Central one.

=TMP=

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2003 10:20 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I screened "Class of '96" in 1992 (I think). It was video transferred to 35mm.

Does the pilot of "Twin Peaks" count?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: