Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Chicago railways; Why so many?

Author Topic: Chicago railways; Why so many?
John Walsh
Film God

- posted 09-21-2003 04:41 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been flying in to Midway airport a lot recently, and I don't thing I ever saw so many train tracks within a city than Chicago. They're everywhere, criss-crossing from all directions. Why so many? We don't have anywhere near that many in New York. In the outer areas, trees have been planted along the sides of the tracks creating a green looking stripe. We don't have any of those 'double-decker' train cars, either.

I like the tramway in the middle of the highway, but it doesn't look like regular trains can run on it.

It also looks like they are taking some tracks away, too. (From the air) I see rail beds that seem to have no track, then "fade" into housing developments.

The highway traffic on the Kennedy Exwy is even thicker than NYC, too, even though there are more lanes. The highway exit I need to take to get to Cicero Av had a big picture of Jimi Hendrix, but they painted over it.. so now I get lost...

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 09-21-2003 06:29 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess would be because ships would come into port there from the Atlantic via the Great Lakes and their cargo would then be put on trains for land distribution to the West and Midwest.

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2003 06:41 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also alot of those tracks are El tracks. The train system in Chicago is elevated, and not a subway as in most other cities.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-21-2003 07:49 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, most of the tracks are normal railroads. Chicago was and is the railroad capital of the nation. This long predates the completion of the St. Lawrence Seaway system. Chicago is simply a major junction between the eastern lines and the western or the granger lines (lines that blanketed the midwest wheat belt and connected with other western lines).

The lines in the expressway median are indeed CTA rapid transit tracks; part of the elevated system. Lots of redundant rail lines have been removed; some turned into biking and hiking trails. The large yard south of Midway is Belt Railway of Chicago's Clearing Yard. The one immediately south of O'Hare is Canadian Pacific's ex-Milwaukee Road Bensenville Yard. A few miles farther south is the Union Pacific's ex-C&NW Proviso Yard. That's just a few of many in the area.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-22-2003 12:47 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember taking a train from Manitowoc, Wisconsin to Norman, Oklahoma in September of 1958. It seemed as it took forever to get clear of the Chicago rail maze. It was a very slow ride until about 1/2 hour after departure from the passenger station.

Once we cleared the yards, I think the locomotive engineer knew only one throttle position...and that was fully open. [Smile]

We went down the tracks like a bat out of hell. It was a fun ride. [Smile] [Smile]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 01:27 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bazillion different rail companies built into Chicago. It was an exceptionally well-located place for distribution, & the meat packing industry pumped it up even more. The midwest sent its cattle to Chicago, & it was packed & distrbuted from there. No city grew as hard & fast as Chicago. It was notorioulsy noisy with construction.

My favorite historical tidbit about Chicago was how they solved their drainage problem. It was just a monster about drainage problems, & stories of horses stuck in the mud, *PEOPLE* sinking to their hips in the mud of the streets, & had been since day one. Finally, they just got sick of it all & passed a law saying that the grade of the city was 12 or more feet higher. They either buried the first floor of buildings, or JACKED THE HUGE MOTHERS UP with scores of men with screw jacks under each building, & scooted dirt up under them. 10+ story, block-wide hotels, office buildings, etc; stone construction, pre-girder frame & curtain wall. Like lunatics levitating the pyramids.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-10-2003 09:06 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Driving an "18-wheeler" now, I've been to Chicago railyards several times in the past few weeks. I've had intermodal drops going both to the BNSF and CSX railyards. Let me tell you, they are HUGE places - tracks are everywhere. Try finding a particular trailer in one of those yards, too (as in tractor-trailer, not film trailer), there are literally thousands!! Took me an hour and a half to find my pickup at CSX.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-11-2003 12:20 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The highway traffic on the Kennedy Exwy is even thicker than NYC, too, even though there are more lanes."

Now you see why I was a little reluctant to consider your installation there. I left that traffic mess behind 6 years ago
with little intention of ever returning there [Eek!] . Sitting in that traffic is simply not worth it for anything [bs] . You might try going into O'Hare Airport as its a stones throw from the Glenview area. Don't let the size of O'Hare scare you away [Confused] . Once you've been through it its far easier to deal with than the drive from Midway to Glenview ever is [Big Grin] .

Actually Midway is an interesting place to land in turbulent weather......you usually literally drop out of the sky onto the runway, while you are thinking that you may drop onto someones rooftop across the street [uhoh] . Those are REALLY short runways there as well. Jets have on two occasions in past years run into the fence at the other end of the runways due do equipment failures [scream] !!
There are also great shots of the early Midway Airport in the Hitchcock film "North By Northwest" [Cool] .

"Why so many?"

Mark @ CLACO

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2003 07:03 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I visit downtown Chicago. I take the South Shore commuter train from Michigan City, Indiana. It's a $6.75 trip right down to the Randolph Street station. Sure beats the traffic and $5/half hour parking. [thumbsup]

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2003 10:43 PM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William Hooper wrote...
"They either buried the first floor of buildings, or JACKED THE HUGE MOTHERS UP with scores of men with screw jacks under each building"

In a section of downtown, there are streets under the streets. There is a whole different world going on under the north section of the loop. I forget what streets take you down there.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-12-2003 04:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose one could consider Lower Wacker Drive to be Chicago's underground, but all you'd really find there is the delivery/service areas to the buildings that are above ground on upper wacker drive. Not really any buisnesses per say down there.... At least not like Underground Atlanta.

Chicago does have a network of hundreds of miles of coal tunnels though which still exist. They were used to deliver coal for heat before the advent of Gas heating. About a decade ago some stupid contractor put a piling through the bottom of the Chicago river into one of the coal tunnels causing the great downtown flood of whenever it was. Many of the downtown buildings go 3 to 4 stories underground and everything filled up with water in the downtown loop area. The leak was eventu7ally plugged and the water let out into the Chicago Deep Tunnel which is another maze of hundreds of miles of huge drainage tunnels that eventually drain into the Illinois river.
Mark

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-12-2003 11:42 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there is at least one less train in that area - at least for now.

Sounds like a commuter train derailed this afternoon in Chicago. 100 people injured, at least 45 were taken to hospital. Most injuries were minor.

The derailment involved two locomotives and 5 coach cars.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2003 01:48 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Chicago's Briggs House hotel, constructed in 1856.
Later that year, the City of Chicago passed the law raising the street grade.

-

Chicago's magnificent, palatial 250-room Tremont House hotel (pictured below in a later view), was rasied with 1,200 men & jackscrews.

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: