Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cinerama Computer Monitor! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cinerama Computer Monitor!
Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 03:34 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this website interesting. I wouldn't think they could use the word "Cinerama" for their product though.

http://www.go-l.com/monitors/cinerama/features/index.htm

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-22-2003 04:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmmmmmm, 92"!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-22-2003 05:22 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be less expensive to just buy three 15" or 17" flat screen monitors and line them up side by side. I would rather have a 23" flat panel monitor capable of showing 1920 X 1200 pixels. Apple and other vendors are selling such monitors for under $2,000 now.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-22-2003 06:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
5 monitors? That is just utterly ridiculous! Why settle for such a narrow view when you could have monitors all around you (360 degrees)? Behind you, above you, below you. Everywhere you look would be a monitor just filled with shortcuts to Windows applications just waiting for you to double click. [Razz]

By the way, Apple makes the BEST flat screen monitors.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 07:15 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe--I concur! (I'm using one now. [thumbsup] )

Speaking of Apple, couldn't the "l" folks have done something other than rip off the look and feel of Apple's web site? The site looks too serious to be a parody.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 08:49 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the $1500 for the 3-monitor 3072x768 really isn't bad.

But I agree that both Cinerama and Apple should get together and sue these guys. Not only is the site and UI a copy of Apple's, but the layout of the components in the computer looks like it's trying to emulate Apple as well. And almost every menu term on the site is the same syntax as Apple uses.

Funny thing is that the site says the guy designed these computers primarily for video editing applications (and because he was unhappy with Apple's computers when he produced a Coke spot on them in 1999.) But I have never noticed these machines advertised in the various pro-video journals that I get.

The computers do look like interesting alternatives to the usual Wintel crap from HP, Compaq, Dell, etc. But they're not cheap: the 17" laptop is priced from $2200 to $5900 with WiFi only in the $4000 and over machines and Bluetooth an optional extra in all the machines.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-23-2003 07:45 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone notice the disclaimer:

"Not responsible for typographical errors..."

Well then, just who IS responsible? I demand accountability from any firm that tries to sell me a flying fortress by telling me it's a computer monitor.

Those things are hideous. [puke]

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2003 10:54 AM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are just jealous you didn't think of it. [Smile]

Ron Yost

Stewart Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2003 11:00 AM      Profile for Stewart Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Stewart Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I condone copying Apple's UI of their site, but I think their product is actually a very good idea.

If you can run multiple applications in Windows, then why would you not want more monitors? [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-23-2003 05:19 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not the first product that has joined together pairs (or more) of computer monitors. Dell has offered things like that on their website. I can recall Silicon Graphics promoting similar items years ago. Ever since Windows adopted multiple-monitor capability a lot of vendors have tried (with little success) in marketing siamese twinned or tripled monitors.

Actually one of the best uses for a joined three-screen monitor is in a racing game setup.

For doing video and graphics work, I'd still rather go with CRT units. So what if my 21" screen weighs nearly 80 pounds? My AnthroCart can hold it.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2003 12:57 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Matrox graphics card is very reliable for multi-monitor setups
http://www.matrox.com/mga/multidisplay/home.cfm

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2003 12:17 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For doing video and graphics work, I'd still rather go with CRT units
Why? A CRT is more tiring to the eyes and the color is more inconsistent over time.

Edit: Okay, there is an article in the NY Times today about CRT vs. LCD and that traditionally, CRTs were able to display more colors, but that newer LCDs are getting pretty close.

[ 09-25-2003, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Martin Brooks ]

Matt Hale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2003 06:07 PM      Profile for Matt Hale   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I built this 9-headed monster last year:

-

It was intended for a store window but the monitors ended up being too dim to be seen during the day. It looked awesome at night though.

Steven Privett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2003 12:42 AM      Profile for Steven Privett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a 3 monitor system for a short while. The hot babe wallpaper stretched across the screens was impressive.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-01-2003 01:39 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See Matt's nine-headed-monster up two posts? Look left, even more, right there. See that? That's a Mac tower running there! Yay!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: