Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cat in the Hat: Hit or Miss?

Author Topic: Cat in the Hat: Hit or Miss?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-22-2003 07:01 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me, or does anyone else think Universal made a big mistake by putting "The Cat" in the trailers? I think they should have made people curious on what he's going to look like....as it is, everyone now knows that it's just Mike Myers in a bad Cat suit.

I mean, at least Jim Carrey LOOKED LIKE the Grinch!

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 07:32 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No doubt about it...

A surefire MISS .

Y-a-w-n. [sleep]

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 09-22-2003 08:01 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HIT!

I can't wait to see it! Remember, its for the kids... [Big Grin]

Oh, Jason....WAKE UP!!! [evil]

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 08:29 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, you can't tell how good the writing is from the trailer, and that's what really counts as to whether the film will be critically successful or not, but the design of the film looks storybook beautiful. The only thing that would have made this film look better is if it had been filmed in 3-strip Technicolor.

On one hand, this is probably NOT a film that older teenagers are going to want to see. On the other, there probably isn't a parent alive who wasn't read The Cat In the Hat as a kid and who hasn't read it to their own kids and they're all going to relate to that and take their kids to see this movie. And they might grab some of those older teenagers solely on the basis that its Mike Meyers.

So IMHO, I think it's going to do well in theaters and I think it's also going to do amazing sales on video. Kids will want to see it and their parents will think, "Oh..it's Dr. Seuss, it's good for them."

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-23-2003 01:24 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the subject line here, I thought I was going to see a link to a Joecartoon-style game involving feline abuse... [evil]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-23-2003 11:58 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer I've seen is awful. Makes me NOT want to see the film. [thumbsdown]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2003 01:23 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even want to see the trailer! This sounds awful.

Why not just release the animated version in theatres? Putting real people in cat suits,, ick!!!

I hated that horrible version of the Grinch from a few years back also. Give me the old cartoons!

Danny

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2003 03:55 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Grinch had a few things going for it that this does not.
First, it had Jim Carrey, Second it was a Christmas movie with an excellent release date.

The Cat in the Hat seems to me that they are trying to recreate the success of the grinch, and we all know that is never a good thing.

I think it will do well in theatres but nothing like the Grinch, BTW my theater was the highest grossing theatre for the Grinch.

Personally it looks like something that I will watch if I have to screen it, but not otherwise.

[ 09-23-2003, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Chris Hipp ]

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2003 06:09 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the first standee for The Grinch in early 2000 and thought, "Mr. Grinch on a 50-foot screen!" People my age knew about the mean one from TV. That's why I looked forward to The Grinch when it hit the megaplexes.

As for The Cat in the Hat? It's famous as a book but the early trailer and one-sheet make him look blaaaah. He also has competition the week before and the week after.

Steven Privett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2003 03:44 PM      Profile for Steven Privett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 10-03-2003, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Steven Privett ]

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2003 04:47 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's tie paper bags to the cat's feet. [evil]

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2003 05:43 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It just looks like Grazer asked Meyers to act like Carrey did in THE GRINCH. Carrey is a great actor at what he does but he was wrong to act like he did in THE GRINCH. The Grinch is mean, not goofy. The Cat is sly, not goofy and that is why the new movie will suck. However, Hollywood knows that the general public are a bunch of dumb sheep and that they will pump about $150 to $250 million in that [bs] . That just drives me crazy... [Mad]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-03-2003 09:20 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took this photo while touring the backlot at Universal Studios in Hollywood. The big building on the right edge of the photo is the courthouse and clock tower from Back To The Future. So the block you're looking at is where Doc Brown sent Marty back to the future in his Delorian... and it's now been converted for the Cat In The Hat.

Mark

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: