Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Paran Towers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Paran Towers
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-24-2003 11:40 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted by Paul.

[ 09-26-2003, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Paul G. Thompson ]

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2003 12:34 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a Hawk to me.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2003 12:56 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't have said anything Paul, now I'm going to have to report this thread to PETA, the ASPCA, and probably the gov't! I bet that was some endangered owl! [Wink]

Danny

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-25-2003 01:10 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet PETA would complain. How dare Paul have that tower erected right were a bird will fly one day! It's the electric chair for you Paul, if PETA had their way.

Oh, and if anyone from PETA reads this thread, I'd like to say the following:
I like dead animals. I wish more animals would die. They need to make way for us humans. I really like it when they get stuck in big oil spills. It's fun to see them struggle, knowing that there's no way they will survive. [Smile]

(PETA will probably ban the entire state of Colorado now).

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-25-2003 01:47 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing that would have made those pics better is if you would have fired up the transmitter while "Trophy-Boy" was still on the tower and got pics of him frying his "wings" too... [Razz] [thumbsup] [evil]

>>> Phil

[ 09-25-2003, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Phil Hill ]

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2003 03:42 AM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the pics also, but please crop that damn poll out of the way! (sorry Phil!) [Big Grin]

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2003 07:24 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul is that the feed line I see in the picture of the guy holding the dead bird? I've been trying to do some research on the Paran antenna since I read your earlier post. (your station may be the only one in US using a system of this design) Could you shoot a picture of the whole array and post it? I'm curious as to how far apart the four towers are and does the feed run vertical up through the center of the array where it connects at the top to the common point of wires going between the towers?

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2003 07:39 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PETA? Doesn't that stand for "People Eating Tasty Animals".

Actually, I love animals. They taste great with mashed potatos.

/Mitchll

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-25-2003 12:20 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, those are guy wires. In the bottom picture, you can see the feed pipe (1/2-inch copper pipe) in the left 1/3 part of the picture. At the top of that picture, you can see one of the insulators that support it. Each of the four towers has a feed pipe. I think there is a phase difference between each of the feed pipes, but I am not sure. Very few people understand this system, and I am not one of them. [Frown]

I'll go up to the station today and see if i can get a picture of the whole array...the camera I used belongs to the Trophy Boy and it was much better than mine. If I can get a good picture of the system, I'll post it.

The reason the company used that Paran Array was because there was not enough real estate under the towers to properly lay the necessary ground radials of the correct wavelength for the frequency of 660khz. The Paran is extremely efficient. Only real drawback is it needs 4 towers to work.

I could be wrong, but I think we are one of the very few in the US that use this system, if not the only one.

The gentleman that engineered this set-up for us was George Frese. He is an eldery gentleman - so old I think he went to school with Marconi. [Big Grin]

He is one of the "sharpest" RF people in the industry. [beer]

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2003 02:37 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a shame....
I was immediatly reminded of Leonard Cohen....

Like a bird on a wire,
like a drunk at a midnight choir,
I have tried in my way to be free.
ZAP!

Just in case you don't know the soing.... I added the ZAP [Big Grin]

bet it smealt like KFC when it was fried..... bargain bucket and fries......

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-25-2003 06:46 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, here is a picture of how the tops of the towers are connected. This might be a wild offspring of what is known as an "Umbrella Loop Antenna System."

-

This is a drawing as the birds would see as they are flying over the towers.

-

The blue triangles are the towers.
The red blob in the blue triangle is the ½-inch copper feed pipe.
The red lines are the connections.
The green devices are insulators.
The middle of the cross hatch is supposed to be bonded together.
The insulators that appear to be “dead ended” are just that. The wire connected to them is about 20 feet long and connect to another insulator for support. Those supports are guyed to the anchors.

The towers are spaced about 100 feet apart, and are about 120 feet high. (that's just a guess...)

Anyone know how this thing works? Steve Guttag, ole' soothsayor...any ideas?

Ken..that also reminds me of a saying..."A bird in one hand is better than one flying overhead." Something like that, anyway. [Big Grin]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-25-2003 07:28 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
What a nightmare....It does look archaic. Where does the spark-gap xmtr hook up? Marconi would be proud.

>>> Phil

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-25-2003 07:45 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, I think the spark gap balls are in the ATU boxes at the base of the towers.

Actually, this system is a fairly new innovation. It is very effective when you don't have enough property to lay the ground radials in. It is a blessing for the wetland areas as well.

That system must have been a bear to tune up.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-25-2003 08:10 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there some reason the conductors must be bare?

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2003 08:15 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
I think there is another setup like that close to my home. It is four short towers aranged close together like you describe. I will drive by there tomorrow and check it out if you are curious about seeing another.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: