Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Rocking Chairs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Rocking Chairs
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-27-2003 05:05 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it that every rocking chair I've sat in tends to "walk" sideways?

At first I thought it was the chair but the problem exists with other chairs, too.

Then I wondered if it was something I was doing wrong but other people have noticed the same thing.

What's up with this? [Confused]

[Oops! Please move this to Yak!]

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-27-2003 05:45 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the question needs asking what are you doing in that chair?

Most rockers are actually suspended in each end on a piston ,pivot, or spring and as such will find their loaded centre of gravity

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2003 06:25 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why the hell are we talking about rocknig chairs in the Film Handler's Forum??

=TMP=

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-27-2003 06:48 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, Thomas. I guess I worked the chair a little too hard and got dizzy. [Big Grin]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-27-2003 10:18 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't rock so hard.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2003 10:27 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ole rockin'chair will get you...

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 09-28-2003 05:21 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of space-age rocking chair is Gordon talking about? Is Canada that much more advanced than the rest of the world?

-

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 09-28-2003 05:22 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-28-2003 07:18 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's a shifting of weight along with your dominant leg pushing off that forces the chair sideways.

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-28-2003 07:48 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so what can I do to correct that?

Excercises?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 09-28-2003 08:01 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't touch the floor with your feet, don't rock so hard, or bolt the thing to the floor.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-28-2003 08:58 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you rocking on carpet? Sometimes the direction of the weave of carpet will cause objects on the carpet to "creep", always in a certain specific direction. I have a clear floor protector under my computer chair, over the carpet, and it tends to always creep to the left. I have to reposition the protector every once in a while.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-28-2003 10:19 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rotation of the earth causes an effect on your chair similar to the Corialis force that causes the water in your toilet to swirl clockwise in the northern hemisphere but counterclockwise in the southern hemisphere. If you moved your chair to South America or Australia it would spin the other way.

[Big Grin]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-29-2003 01:13 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Okay so what can I do to correct that?

Excercises?

Two things, Don't rock so hard and cross your feet for pushing off. This keeps the force centered. I guess you could say I am a professional rocker [Big Grin]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 01:38 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't we stop fixing things? Is there never a break?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: