Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Why did Phil Hartman die? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why did Phil Hartman die?
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-28-2003 05:24 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to watch SNL when it was carried by MTV Europe, but I haven`t followed the show in a couple of years now. So I was quite shocked last night to hear that Phil Hartman had been shot by his wife. What happened?

|  IP: Logged

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2003 05:28 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. It's been awhile...

Seems that she and he were having a quarrel. She shot him then shot herself. The kids were at home. Poor kids. They were seen in the news snips being carried away from their home.

I've heard that she was jealous of his success.

Others?

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2003 05:41 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I recall correctly, the quarrel was about his cheating on her, and him leaving her, etc. He shouldn't have gone back to bed! He is sorely missed, one of the greats.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 09-28-2003 06:41 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael He died because his heart stopped beating.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 12:33 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm...Phil Hartman...which one was he? (I've watched the SNL reruns before and the name rings a bell, I just can't place the face.)

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 01:06 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

WireImage.com

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 01:41 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
His wife was somewhat erratic. Non-technical, non-professional, understated description.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-29-2003 03:01 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He died because his heart stopped beating.

Do you mean because his death was the consequence of his evidently heartless behavior towards his wife? Wow Bob, that is very deep.
Still, it is sad. A lot of SNL stars seem to have died long before their time.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-29-2003 03:59 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
His wife was somewhat erratic.
No, really?! Shooting your husband and then killing yourself - such reasonable, level-headed behaviour. Maybe it was the 'wrong time of the month'... [Wink]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 06:34 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think she had been in the shop for erratic a couple of times.

Also, she had a long history of substance abuse & erratic, violent behavior. When she died, they found *high* levels of alcohol, cocaine, & Zoloft in her system. Her estate, a year later, filed suit against the makers of Zoloft. No action filed against Captain Morgan or Jack Daniels or whoever though.

Steven Privett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 07:46 AM      Profile for Steven Privett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 10-03-2003, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Steven Privett ]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-29-2003 09:31 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's SNL?

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 09:34 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen, SNL = Saturday Night Live

Interrestingly enough E! did a story on Phil Hartman and his death last night on Infamous. I didn't catch all of it, but supposedly they blammed the incident largely on substance abuse on her part, and that "supposedly" he told her he had enough and was going to leave her. I'm sure there were several things that contributed to her actions.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 09:57 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And Zoloft is? [Confused]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-29-2003 01:54 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A prescription anti-depressent.
http://www.zoloft.com

For me, Phil Hartman will always be remembered as the English dub voice of Jiji the black cat from Hayao Miyazaki's Kiki's Delivery Service (1989). The English dub was recorded at Disney in 1998 and was his last voice-over role. There is a memorial credit for him in the English credits for that film.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: