Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Watch video on paper!

Author Topic: Watch video on paper!
Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 12:49 AM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
from nature.com
Electronic paper reaches video speed
Colour movies might soon be playing on single sheets.
25 September 2003
PHILIP BALL

One display device could hold an entire library.
© Philips Electronics

Paper capable of playing videos has been invented at the Philips Research laboratory in Eindhoven, the Netherlands1.

A single sheet looks pretty much like ordinary paper. But the ink can be rearranged electronically fast enough to show video movies.

Its devisers, Robert Hayes and Johan Feenstra, have also figured out how to create full-colour displays. Their colour screens would be four times brighter than the flat devices currently made from liquid crystals, they reckon.

The invention is the latest version of 'electronic ink'. Researchers hope to combine the convenience, robustness and readability of printed material with the vast and flexible information content of laptop computers.

In principle, a plastic sheet covered with electronic ink could display an entire library, page by page. The information would be stored in a portable chip, and the display would be powered by a slimline, lightweight battery. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix would weigh no more than a feather.

Switch in time

High-resolution monochrome electronic paper is already on the verge of commercialization, produced by Massachusetts-based company, E-Ink, in collaboration with Philips. Here the 'ink' consists of countless tiny, transparent capsules of black and white powdered pigments, which are drawn by electric fields to the front face.

This system is fine for viewing successive pages of a book, but its switching time is too slow for moving pictures. Hayes and Feenstra switch the colour of their e-ink in a completely different way.

Each pixel of the new display contains a drop of coloured, oily ink that spreads over a reflective white background. The white backing is coated first with a transparent material that conducts electricity - permitting electrical control of the pixel colour - and then with a transparent film of a water-repellent plastic.

Left to its own devices, the ink droplet spreads across the entire pixel. If a voltage is applied, it retracts like a bead of water in a Teflon pan, exposing the white area below. If the pixel is small enough, these white and inky regions are not visible, just an average brightness. When the droplet is fully spread, the pixel looks dark. When it retracts, the pixel looks much lighter.

Full-colour displays can be made with three sub-pixels of yellow, cyan and magenta.
© Hayes & Feenstra

The larger the applied voltage, the more the ink retracts. The ink is therefore capable of a continuous grey scale, not just of a two-tone contrast. So monochrome images can look very smooth.

The key to the system's success is its switching voltage. It is low enough that controlling the electronic ink requires only a small power source. Switching between dark and bright states takes only about ten milliseconds - fast enough to produce sharp video images.

In principle full-colour images might be produced this way, Hayes and Feenstra show. Pixels can be composed of three sub-pixels inked with the standard yellow-cyan-magenta tricolour system.

References
Hayes, R. A. & Feenstra, B. J. Video-speed electronic paper based on electrowetting. Nature, 425, 383 - 385, doi:10.1038/nature01988 (2003). |Article|

© Nature News Service / Macmillan Magazines Ltd 2003

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-29-2003 04:23 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happens if it gets bent or folded? Or perhaps a small tear? Ripped in half? Will they make it in poster size for hometheater? Can you surf the internet with it? Do they have a touchscreen (touchpaper?) version available? Can it play my MP3's? Can I record on it?

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-29-2003 12:01 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading about this a year ago or so. Except i thought Xerox was the company behing it. They were talking about the possability of wallpapering rooms with it, allowing the rooms occupant to change the wallpaper with the click of a mouse.

I'm not quiet sure how it will be "brighter" than LCDs. If its literally ink on paper, then it would require a light source to light it from the front. Brigtness would depend on light reflecting off it's surface.

If I got one in 40 x 20, I could put it in theatre 8, and just leave thhe lamp on without film running through - that should be plenty bright! [Cool] j/k

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 09-29-2003 02:17 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are now just about 357 steps away from non projection movie screens. Just think about it, no projection booths at all! What the hell will we be doing as projectionists? We will be reassigned to "screen cleaning and reinking" detail.

Dave

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 09-29-2003 03:57 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is not funny Dave...

[Razz]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-29-2003 05:12 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, it just goes to show ya that we all will be relegated to "paper-pushers". [evil]

>>> Phil

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2003 02:16 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen lots of movies from the Library of Congress paper print collection:

http://members.tripod.com/~cinefan/ppart1.htm

Steven Privett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2003 02:11 PM      Profile for Steven Privett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My morning paper already comes like this. One page, little button to "turn the page".

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2003 08:43 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.....matinees at the drive-in? [Big Grin] I think it'll be WAY too expensive to make a screen out of it, but such a thing would be quite a tool for outdoor ads and sports replay boards etc...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: