Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Email Delivery...Anyone Having Problems With It Lately?

Author Topic: Email Delivery...Anyone Having Problems With It Lately?
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-29-2003 12:50 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have lots of problems with it lately both with AOL as well as Hotmail.com

In one instance, it took nearly a week to get one if I get them at all. Last night Josh sent me a link on motorcycle transmissions. It still has not arrived.

Anyone know what the hell is going on? [Mad]

If anyone sends me email at shuttershaft@aol.com and it comes back, try:

paul_g_thompson@hotmail.com

or

the_weenieman@hotmail.com

Maybe that will work better.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-29-2003 01:05 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting that you bring this up. We're pulling our ISP's hair out over similar problems with delayed email delivery. Sometimes a user will receive no mail for 24 hours, then a whole batch comes in at once.

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 01:39 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been seeing the same thing I will look for email and get ones or twos of them and them it downloads everything for the last month again but there is no pattern to it.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 09-29-2003 02:15 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem may be tied to VeriSign. They recently launched thier redirection protocols and it has been reaping havoc with internet systems of all types across the globe. VeriSign controls the .com and .net internet address extentions.

ICANN is meeting October 7 to discuss this problem and what to do with it. VeriSign will not disengage the protocols and may have to be ordered by a court to do so if ICANN is unable to rule against thier actions.

It could be the problem, as so far multiple problems are creeping up in no uncertain pattern and most if not all are bieng tracked back to this new redirection service.

Dave

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-29-2003 07:03 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was having a hell of a time getting on Film-Tech's site last night. Part of the page would load and then just hang for awhile. Saw the same problem with a couple other sites. But then others were loading fast as normal. I was thinking it had to do with the massive amounts of worm mail hogging bandwidth.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 07:48 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...I had to send some reports to a client and even though all my other mail seems to get through to other people, these reports were never received on the other end regardless of whether I sent them via my ISP (RCN) or via AOL.

But nothing bounced back. I sent them to myself and received them.

I finally had them give me an alternate email address and they got what I sent.

Also, I notice that my web access was much faster than usual for a few days last week and now is very slow again.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-29-2003 09:30 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Verisign (nee Network Solutions nee InterNIC) is evil. [evil]

What happened is that they inserted "wildcard A records" to the .com and .net zone files. What this means is that attempts to lookup the DNS entries for nonexistant hosts in nonexistant .com or .net domains which used to fail now return the IP address of a Verisign host.

This is a pretty blatant violation of the spirit (if not the letter) of the DNS specifications and it also breaks a commonly used anti-spam technique. Most sites now simply reject mail which appears to come from nonexistant domains. Now, since it is nearly impossible to tell whether or not a domain actually exists or not (without employing one of several workarounds for this problem), there's no easy way to reject mail from nonexistant (read: forged) domains. The end result is that people get more spam. I'm not sure whether or not this relates to the problems that others are seeing, but it may well be a factor.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-29-2003 10:24 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of these days I'm going to remove the entries for VeriSign's two root servers from every DNS server I can get my hands on. VeriSign blows.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 10:34 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About email problems -- heck, I can't even get to my university's network from home right now. When I first got on, I couldn't get to my hiwaay.net account either! Something major must be down on the net here in Huntsville tonight.

I haven't had trouble with email delivery that I know of.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2003 07:03 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I tried to send you an email (questions about the Paran antenna) about three weeks ago via your aol account. Since I never heard back from you I figured something was wrong.

Jeff

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: