Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Rechargeable batteries (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Rechargeable batteries
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 08:35 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I've never understood is why certain types of batteries behave the way they do. For example, why is it that certain rechargeable batteries (I think either NiCad or NiMH) require a complete discharge before recharging, or else they develop that anoying "memory" feature? Also, I just bought a Nokia 6340i phone. It uses a LiIon baterry, so it does not require a full discharge before recharging. However, the manual does say that in order to get the best performance out of the battery, to go through three complete charge and discarge cycles first. Why??? Why would the battery require anything other than a 24-hour complete charge to get the most out of it?

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-29-2003 08:41 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those batteries have a "memory". If you recharge them when they are not in a complete discharged state, over a period of time the battery will think it is discharged while it is not. As a result, the battery won't perform like it is supposed to because it will be weak even if it supposedly has a full charge.

This is the way it was explained to me.

Make sure the battery is fully discharged before recharging. They will last much longer.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 09:53 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul: Thanks. I have known this for a long time. Basically I am asking why is it this way? What causes that memory feature? Also, why to some rechargeable batteries have memory while some (LiIon) do not?

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-29-2003 10:53 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, True memory loss in a battery (known as memory effect) almost never happens, and when it does it only happens in NiCd batteries, although many argue that NiMH can also exhibit signs of memory effect.

Memory effect occurs when the battery is discharged to the exact same place every time, then recharged. Even the slightest change in time between when the battery is chargedand then recharged will not lead to true memory effect.
Consequerntly memory effect only occurs in exact controlled conditions such as laboratories.

The phenomanon that everyone refers to as "memory effect" is actually called "Voltage Depression".
If you remove the battery from the device your using, before its finished draining, over time, some of the cells in the battery pack become weaker, and while they sill hold the same capacity , they no longer can hold the same voltage . This becomes a problem for advanced digital devices such as cell phones, palm piolots, and laptops, which monitor thier batery level using voltage as a reference for an expected battery capacity. The device flashes a low battery warning and in some cases executes a timer that will automatically shut off the device after a given period of time after the warning (especially common in laptops). This gives the impression that the battery has become empty, when in fact it has the ability to power the device for much longer. Draining the battery almost compleatly will "re awaken" the dead cells, allowing them to store the correct voltage again, and thus curing this condition. This hapens in all NiCd and NiMH batteries, however some people are recently beggining to report this in Li-Ion batteries as well.

PLEASE NOTE, it is importaint never to compleatly drain the battery, as many people recomend. Drain them to about 1.2 Volts per cell, then charge them. If you go lower, some of the weaker cells will reverse (charge from the other end, if you will). This causes them to compeate with the healthy cells renderring them, and the cells they are compeating with, compleately useless. This is verry bad, and usually results in a battery which appears not to hold a charge at all. Some of the high end chargers, automatically drain the battery to 1.2vpc before charging.

As for Nokia, the manual recomends doing this probably because they want to make sure that all the cells are "fully awakened".

Love the new signature Ken. Anyone who hasn't become aware of the latest craze in internet geekdom should head over here.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 11:34 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! Thanks for the comment about the sig. Strong Bad rules! Thanks for the info, Mike. How do you know when you're at 1.2 volts per cell? For that matter, how do you know how many cells are in a battery? With my phone, I'm just using all the talk time until it shuts off, then I'm charging it overnight. (Doing this for three cycles, as the manual suggests. Then I will just continue to plug it in at night or when I get home from work, etc., without fully draining it first.)

So I am correct that only NiCad batteries have the memory effect, not Li-Ion, right? But am I reading you correctly that you can undo the effect by completly draining and then recharging a NiCad?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-30-2003 12:28 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly off subject, but not terribly, anyone looking for really good rechargable batteries in the common sizes (AA, C, D, etc) should check out Energizer's ACCU-CHARGE batteries and charger. Besides saving a ton of money, these things beat out regular non-rechargables.

Example: I can take between 20-30 pictures with my Casio digital camera with Duracell or Energizer batteries, saving the display screen as much as possible. With the ACCU-CHARGE batteries, I can effortlessly take at least 50 per set of batteries...then when they are drained I just charge 'em back up again.

I know Best Buy/Circuit City carries these. It's where I got mine.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-30-2003 12:38 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, 1.2V is the nominal voltage of a NiCad cell. Discharged is consider to be 1.0 volts. Charging of NiCad cells is best done at a constant current depending on the battery Amp/Hr rating. When the terminal voltage reaches 1.30 - 1.35 volts, the cell is considered fully charged and should be removed from the charger.

It is always advisable to discharge a NiCad to the 1.0 level before recharging cuz of the "memory" effect.

>>> Phil

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-30-2003 02:08 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phill is right, its actually 1vpc, however, from what I understand, in order to prevent cell reversal, one should stop drainage at 1.2vpc to be safe. Mabey it was 1.02 vpc? Oh well, can't remember right now.

Anyway, to answer the cell related question, inside your nokia battery, (or more correctly, battery pack), there are several small cells. If you cross-section the battery pack, oreo cookie style, you will note them inside the battery. About measuring voltage, I guess a standard volt meter should do the trick, but I have never actually done this. The information was more for technical info than for practical application, and the Film-Tech manual dissclaimer (read this and learn -but dont you dare try it) certainly should apply to that. Just use your Lithium Ion battery as the phones manual suggests and you should get 1000 cycles out of it with no problem. After 1000 cycles its best not to try to resurect them. Batterys do eventually die.

quote:
So I am correct that only NiCad batteries have the memory effect, not Li-Ion, right? But am I reading you correctly that you can undo the effect by completly draining and then recharging a NiCad?

Yes, in theory only NiCds suffer from the scientificly correct "memory effect", but it seems that almost all rechargeables suffer from voltage depression. Both can be corrected by a disscharge to near empty, providing that the cells havent reversed.
------------
More pointless ramblings about strongbad

Whenever a film burns at my theatre, I always blame it on Trogdor Inhabiting the booth.

Trogdor the Burninator WITH MAJESTY!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-30-2003 05:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, is that the same charger you had where you cannot touch/remove/insert the batteries as they charge? I remember thinking that as extremely odd.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-30-2003 07:13 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad--you need to change batteries for every 30-50 pictures? Ouch! Remind me not to buy one of those cameras. I'm accustomed to using (film) cameras that either a) don't require batteries or b) use so little power that the batteries only need changing once per year, if that. What is it about that camera that consumes so much power?

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2003 07:26 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also a note on lead-acid (or gell cell) batteries. Never discharge this type of battery compleatly, it will damage the battery. It is recomended that they be charged after every use.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 09-30-2003 07:56 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a sufficiently complicated topic that it's probably not going to reach succesful completion here. But a few comments:

The NiCd memory effect is caused by crystalization within the cells, and a full discharge helps to break down the crystals.

Mike said, "Anyway, to answer the cell related question, inside your nokia battery, (or more correctly, battery pack), there are several small cells." This is generally not true for LiIon. Cells can be manufactured as "prismatic cells", which are basically rectangular extrusions. They are single-cell, and thus have the LiIon nominal voltage of 3.6V.

Ken asked why 3 charge/discharge cycles are necessary. The chemistry of the battery is such that it does not reach its full capacity until it has been used a few times. Some vendors may run these 3 cycles in the factory, or as part of manufacturing, others may instruct the user to do so.

It's also important to remember that all batteries, especially NiCd, NiMh, and LiIon chemistries, have a limited number of charge/discharge cycles, generally "a couple hundred." After that , the battery will stop performing adequately.

For more than you could ever possibly want to know, see the excellent online resource, Batteries in a portable world.

--jhawk

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2003 08:45 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, even though my phone uses a LiIon battery which does not suffer from the memory effect, should I avoid just plugging it in at any time (such as over night or when I get home) to reduce the number of charging cycles and thus prolong its life? Or does a charging cycle refer to only a complete discharge and recharge?

Mike: film burns at your theater????

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-01-2003 02:00 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was under th impression that most regeargeables can have 1000 cycles before requiring replacement.

Ken: Only twice. 1. brainwrap, 2. bad platter threw the print. But Trogdor got blamed for both.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2003 11:00 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that if you are experiencing this effect, how can you safely discharge the battery so that it becomes useful again.

The manufacturers say not to short them out.

Could you build a small circuit that would power a flashlight bulb until drained?

Thanks
Paul

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: