Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » THE BLUES Documentary Miniseries on PBS

Author Topic: THE BLUES Documentary Miniseries on PBS
Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 10:46 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seven Directors In Seven Nights!

I saw the night produced by Martin Scorese on Monday night, Sept.29th. I found it most interesting, informative and moving,
as it introduced me to two song writers/performers I had never heard of, through an indie documentary.

This night was devoted to the songs and lives of Skip James and J.B.Lemoir, two pioneers from the 1930's who first recorded in 1931 and went into obscurity in the depression when radio became king (free music) and the companies that recorded them failed.

A couple of blues fans from Sweden discovered them, and recorded their moving, original songs on 16mm film in two visits, but couldn't get them sold in Sweden and so the films were never publicly shown. However, in the mid 1960's with the civil rights movement and the Newport Jazz Festival reviving enthusiasm for jazz and blues, they were an enormous success at Newport in 1965 through 1967. Their long eclipse, resurruction
and sad ends in poverty make an emotional narrative that complements the themes and moods of their music.

Visually, the film juxtaposed footage of the singers (their sound tracks enhanced) with modern groups and soloists covering their songs, interspersed with documentary footage of rural life and national and international newsreel footage of the depression, KKK marches, civil rights events, Vietnam war footage, etc.

Well worth watching on PBS; a different director for each night in the week!

Gerard

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: