Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Using IR on Nokia phone to connect to Internet on PDA

Author Topic: Using IR on Nokia phone to connect to Internet on PDA
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2003 09:54 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite simply, is this possible? I know that many phones have available as an accessory a cable that can connect to a Palm device to allow the phone to act as a modem for the Palm. Well, what about using IR? I just got a Nokia 6340i, which includes an IR port. I've already used the IR feature to beam contacts from my Handspring Visor to my phone. Can I use it to connect to the internet via my dial-up account? If so, how?

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-01-2003 10:03 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would you be doing with the phone on the internet. Certain phones have the ability to download tones and do text messages and send emails but all of this comes with a cost that if you are not careful you will be shocked when you get your bill. Be carefull with anything you do with your phone because charges may exist. Here is something else that is interesting about cell phones. THere are more of the older system analog towers out there than there are digital towers. A lot of the new features that are appearing on phones now like the video and picture taking and sending to another phone can become unavailabe and useless outside of major populous areas. Of course as the older towers get upgraded this will no longer be a problem.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2003 10:06 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to do anything on my phone. I just want to use the phone as a modem for my PDA. Both have IR ports. I'd be using the Web browser and email programs (mostly email) on my PDA.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-01-2003 10:12 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmmmmm that I am not sure about although I do know some phones can infer red information like adress books phone numbers and such to another phone. If you havn't alreadym check your documentation on both your phone and PDA. Again if it is possable there will probably be charges for using the phone in such a a manor.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2003 11:11 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know about using the IR, but to use a cell phone for a modem you will use the web time and not your normal minutes. I have pcs vision and I can use my phone with a USB cable to get online with my pc. PCSvision has free wireless web so I can use as much as I want. It's pretty fast too

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: