Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » In Memory Of Vernon Klingman (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: In Memory Of Vernon Klingman
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-01-2003 10:49 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry to say that Vern passed away Sunday Evening after a battle with Leukemia.

Vern has done much for the industry, and has done much for Josh and I.

It saddens me to make this post. The industry has lost a good technician, and Josh and I have lost a good friend.

May we have a moment of silence in memory of Vernon?

Thank you.

Paul

|  IP: Logged

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2003 04:56 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul
This is indeed sad news.
Vern bailed me out of a couple of jams while working at theatres here in Seattle and always felt he was a damn good tech.
He will be missed here.
Pete

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2003 04:58 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I talked to vern about my project and he gave me some good advise. He even wanted a chance to bid on it. I'm shocked and saddened. He will be missed.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-02-2003 07:16 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joan called us this morning. Vern did a lot of work for some good friends of mine over here. He also helped me get my quad opened & provided a lot of parts and supplies. He really was about the only call you needed to make, if you didn't know the answer yourself.

We'll miss him greatly.

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2003 12:29 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saying a prayer as I type. We have had way to many good people pass away recently. Vern will be missed by me and USL.

Clint

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-05-2003 06:08 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I attended Vern's Memorial Service yesterday in Mukilteo, Washington. I was a nice service which lasted about two hours.

One thing I didn't know about Vern - even after all the years I have known him. He was a religious man but yet he never pushed it on anyone. It was the center of his life.

As I thought about it, I never heard Vern say an off-colored word in all the years I have known him. I do remember him as a kind and generous man who always seemed to smile and look for good in people. He was always willing to help anyone that needed it in both his profession and personal life. He did listen to Spiritual music quite often - and one song that was his favorite was played during the Memorial Service. His son loaned me the only copy of that song so I may listen to it again.

I was shocked when I looked at Vern's pictures that were taken through his life that were on display in the Foyer. He was a motorcycle nut in his younger years and there was an old picture of him sitting on a Suzuki machine. The picture that shocked me was one where he was wearing a plastic eye protector....and it looked almost like the one I took of Josh when he was wearing a set of those when we toured Strong International. I even made a comment to Joan about it.

When I return the song to Joan and her son, she said I can take pictures of the pictures that were on display. Another picture was Vern standing next to a carbon-arc setup with Magnarcs and Super Simplex's in a booth he ran in his younger years.

During the service, the pastor allowed guests to come up and speak of Vern and the memories they have of him. I must admit they were quite moving, and I must also admit I had some misty eyes myself.

In Vern's final hours, he knew the end was near. As his wife, two sons and daughter were surrounding his bedside, he said "I am ready." He then smiled at them took a deep sigh, and passed on.

Vern was in great pain most of the time. But he never let on to it. He was afflicted with Asthma, Diabetes and Arthritis before he was struck down with Lukemnia. Vern was 53 years old.

I shall miss him. I shall miss the "coffee stops" we made - we both enjoyed them. It was always fun to be with him. Whenever I (or Josh) ever needed a part for the machines or advice, he was always there to offer his expertise.

Josh has unknowingly lost a good friend. I have lost a good friend as well as those who knew Vern.

I walked away from the Memorial Service a little humbled. For the rest of the day I ran movies....and thought of some of the great times we had. It was indeed a sad day for me.

Vern was indeed a wonderful person.

Paul

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2003 08:40 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the story Paul. Although I didn't really know Vern I'm saddened to see him go and glad to hear about his faith. I wish my project had of materialized before as I would have given Vern the opportunity to bid on it.

Rick McCluney
Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2003 09:51 PM      Profile for Rick McCluney   Email Rick McCluney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm truly sorry to hear of Vern's death. He was one of the first techs that I dealt with when I became a projectionist. He will be greatly missed. If possible , Paul, could you post some of those pictures you took of the pictures at the memorial sevice on this forum.

Rick

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-06-2003 10:44 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Rick. I will do that with Joan's permission when I get them.

Rick McCluney
Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2003 02:26 PM      Profile for Rick McCluney   Email Rick McCluney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also Paul what was the song they played that Vern's son let you borrow?

Rick

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-07-2003 11:11 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick, as per your request, here is a picture of Vern in the booth as a projectionist in California.

-

Here he is sitting on his Suzi Q.

-

Pictures courtesy of Joan Klingman

Rick McCluney
Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2003 01:47 AM      Profile for Rick McCluney   Email Rick McCluney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting the pictures Paul.

Rick

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2003 03:43 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto Paul. Now I can put a face with the memory.

Do you know if Vern's business will continue under anyone else?

Scott Manley
Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2003 05:33 PM      Profile for Scott Manley   Email Scott Manley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was sorry to hear about Vern today. I had the privilidge of working with him in San Antonio about 12 years ago I think.
I credit my knowledge of projection equipment with crossing paths with some very good techs over the years. Techs and engineers that would tell you anything you want to know. As long as you were interested. Vern was very much welcome aqs one of those people that shaped me and added to my knowledge of electronics and projectors.

God Bless

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 10-08-2003 10:50 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm real sorry I didnt post sooner. I am saddened to hear of Verns death. He helped me get an old exciter I had working again, and has provided not only good advice, but also friendship. Vern, you will be missed......

JJ

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: