Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Apple Saves The Day!

Author Topic: Apple Saves The Day!
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-02-2003 01:30 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently had to erase the hard drive in my 14" iBook to install the OS (10.2) afresh. I did a backup of my Documents folder and all of my email but forgot to save my Address Book and my iPhoto collection.

I signed up for a .Mac account which has a 100MB iDisk and a Backup program. This was so long ago that I forgot I had that set up; a friend had to remind me. My Address Book had been saved to the iDisk by the Backup program.

My iCal calendars (and also the Address Book and web browser preferences) had been saved to my iDisk (and all of my other Mac computers) by an application called iSync. All I had to do was launch iSync and download them from the iDisk.

Sadly, my entire iPhoto collection could not fit on the 100MB iDisk so a lot of photos are lost. On the brighter side, I had emailed copies to friends and was able to partially reconstruct the photo albums by going through my Sent Mail folder.

This is wonderful!

And now there's a Beta of Backup 2.0 available for download and this allows you to use a local hard drive as a backup target. I have a little external FireWire drive devoted to this now. A copy of my entire drive (minus the OS) gets saved on a recurring schedule (Daily, in my case). The backup occurs in the background and it seems that only the files that have been changed will be updated on subsequent passes.

Whatever computer you are using -- Backups are key! [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2003 01:13 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can make a computer out of an apple?
I've seen those science projects where you can make a battery out of a potato.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-03-2003 03:44 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HEY! I made a post in here and it vanished! Wher'd it go??

Anyway, it was something to the effect of Apple Rocks or somesuch.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-03-2003 03:46 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Whatever computer you are using -- Backups are key!
A little bit of brain also helps.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2003 02:29 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, Michael must be able to find *no* beer that he can imbibe over here.

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2003 02:58 PM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
iBook, iPhoto, iDisk, iCal, iSync - and then Backup 2.0?

Why not iBackup 2.0? That would be iFantastic, or at least more iConsistent.

It's nice that Apple provides such options (or iOptions) given the fact that you can't just go in and slap another hard drive into your rig for backup like PC folks have been doing for years.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-06-2003 06:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nick wrote:
given the fact that you can't just go in and slap another hard drive into your rig for backup like PC folks have been doing for years.

Ummm, yes you can. You can have up to 4 internal drives (it comes complete with 2 ATA buses built in). The newer G5's only have one ATA bus so you can only have 2 drives, but you can always add a few external firewire drives as well. I have added drives to my last 3 Macs (a G3 six or seven years ago, a G4 three to four years ago and now a dual G4). The drives are tremendously easy to install, and they take about 30 seconds to a minute to format for Mac use. Easy!

The Mac also has a utility where you can back up to 15GB worth of data onto a MiniDV tape using any camcorder with a firewire connection (even Digital8).

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2003 12:34 AM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My apologies - I admittedly stopped looking at Macs quite a few years ago. Plus, I try to stay a good decade behind the times in general. Then there's my policy of only stating an opinion when I have no factual basis to support it. I may have to rethink all of those positions in the future.

It's good to see that Apple finally let go of their need to make computers that couldn't be customized or optimized in any way whatsoever. Part of me though still longs for the simple appeal of playing monochromatic "Oregon Trail" on the ancient Apple II-Cs we had in the computer labs at school.

That utility allowing data to be saved to Mini-DV tapes sounds pretty cool. (I hope it's called iTape or something like that.) My first real PC clone had a wonky tape drive that worked intermittently. I'm sure the firewire transfer works a lot better.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-07-2003 01:01 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want a bumper sticker that says

iThink therefore iAm

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2003 01:09 AM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting for iGlasses - the peripheral that allows you to store data in liquid form.

Of course, it might cause some problems - "I think I drank my term paper and saved the beer." [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: