Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Theatre Marquee fonts (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Theatre Marquee fonts
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2003 04:42 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a feature I'd like to have in generating my WWW site that I've wanted for a long time. I'd like to be able to take text strings from a file and render them on an image that looks like a theatre marquee sign. Is there a commonly available font that is the same or very similar to the font used on the letters that are stuck onto theatre marquees for the names of the movies being shown? I know that some Regal theatres tend to use a different font than others for this for their marquee letters.

Having this functionality would allow me to change the marquee in the header of my site without having to redo the image and rerasterize it. It would be cool to just change a text file and have the marquee image change when I run the program to regenerate the site.

Does anyone know about the font, or know an easy way to do this from a Perl script or C program? I can generate the image -- I just need the font-related stuff.

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2003 05:36 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The font I think you are looking for is called Broadway. I have seen variations of it but here what it looks like...

-

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-02-2003 06:06 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, I've never seen a marquee font that looks anything like Broadway. [Frown]

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2003 06:28 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have worked in quite a few REGAL sites on the East coast and they use the Broadway style font. However, it is only all caps. The sites here in Vegas use different ones since they were ACT III or UA except for the one I am in. We do not have an outside marquee or roadside.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2003 08:12 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This looks just like what Regal uses. Any ideas about the more traditional ones used for theatre marquees? In any case, is there an easy way to programatically (from, say, Perl or C) pull out bitmaps of the fonts from the TrueType font files (or vector descriptions, or whatever)? I don't know much about how fonts are stored. It's an area in which I've never ventured before.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-02-2003 10:25 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arial is the best font ever created. When I met Bobby Henderson in real life, he went on and on about how great Arial was. He talked of nothing else. I didn't believe him until I saw it and WOW Arial is AWESOME!

Therefore I think all theaters and all outdoor signage of any kind should only use the Arial font. It the font created by God Hisself. [Smile]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 10-02-2003 10:36 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans, you'd probably be happy using Image::Magick.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2003 11:09 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it supports any TrueType fonts that I have the file for? If that's the case, it'll make things pretty easy. I've used PerlMagick on several occasions to do image manipulation from Perl. That would be fabulous if it's that simple. I'll do some testing tomorrow.

So, the only question remaining is other than Broadway for Regal theatres, what's a font that is like the marquee lettering used by most theatres on their marquees. The marquee image is going to be small and only have room for two or three rows of letters, so I'd prefer a font used on theatre marquees back in the days of single-screen and 2-plex theatres.

I've been using "Impact" from Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator , but I'd like something that looks more like older marquee lettering than that.

I'll not upset Bobby Henderson by using Trajan. [Smile]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 10-02-2003 11:49 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try something like this:

$image->Annotate(font=>'/path/to/fonts/broadway.ttf', pointsize=>40, fill=>'black', text=>$text);

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-03-2003 04:43 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet that Joe's second favorite font is "Wingdings."

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2003 09:45 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! That Annotate call is described on pages 140-141 of my "Programming Web Graphics with Perl and Gnu Software" O'Reilly book! Thanks!

This may be far easier than I ever imagined, especially since the program that generates most of the HTML on my site is already in Perl (1793 lines of it)!

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2003 11:46 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania, every Regal Cinema that I have been to or driven past uses Broadway as the font for the sign.

Three of these Regals also use Broadway for their marquee letters as well. That typeface makes it difficult to read film titles, especially if you're on a busy road.

Broadway also is the font in use at the Multiplex Cinemas at Town Center Plaza, built by Regal in the late 90's and taken over by National Amusements 1 1/2 years ago. I'm surprised NA hasn't tried to install its own signs and its own lettering yet. Maybe it might have something to do with the local zoning board.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2003 03:45 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that the Broadway font isn't the best choice for readability. When I drive in front of a theatre that uses that font, I have to get much closer to the building to read the movie titles. I just looked through a big list of fonts and didn't see anything that looked much like a movie theatre marquee font.

After getting rather disgusted at the difficulty of finding this information, I got an idea -- I did a WWW search on companies that sell replacable letters for marquee signs. It looks like there are Barnes, Broadway, Helvetica, and a compressed Univers font in common usage. I wish I'd thought of doing that yesterday. So I guess that answers my question. Now to start playing with coding that up...

I liek the Barnes style since it has a 3D look. Now to find a ttf file for it or something like it...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-03-2003 09:38 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I liek the Barnes style since it has a 3D look. Now to find a ttf file for it or something like it...
You're gonna get frustrated trying to find one. Wagner Zip Change and Gemini make the prevailing majority of changeable copy letters for marquees. They have been using the same gothic/sans and "modern" styles for decades. They have made no moves to generate computerized versions of these fonts. Such a move would help sign designers, and actually sell more of Wagner and Gemini's products. Instead, when I design a changeable copy sign for someone, I have to defer to something like Futura Extra Black Condensed to simulate the type.

quote:
I have worked in quite a few REGAL sites on the East coast and they use the Broadway style font.
Are you sure you're seeing Broadway? Cinemark uses a font that has some slight similarities to Broadway for their changeable copy marquee lettering. However the font is more condensed and (thankfully) the thin stems on the letters are substantial enough to read at a significant distance.

Broadway is not designed at all for readability distance. It is designed after type meant for large posters and showcards on easels that people can view up close and for what ever duration they like. Setting type in Broadway for an outdoor sign, particularly one next to a street, is really really stupid. There's lots of other fonts that envoke retro, art deco and art nouveau themes that work much better for distance/quick glance viewing.

quote:
When I met Bobby Henderson in real life, he went on and on about how great Arial was.
What I really said was how Arial was really great at trapping amateur sign designers and making their work look stupid. Customers then bring their money to me! CHA-CHING!

quote:
I'll not upset Bobby Henderson by using Trajan.
Not to worry. Hollywood studios would never allow and Zip Change or Pronto letters to be made with it. The letters would upstage all the Trajan you see on the one-sheets. Can't have that!

[ 10-04-2003, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Bobby Henderson ]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-03-2003 09:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wingdings kicks ass.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: