Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The latest "Microsoft patch" scam

Author Topic: The latest "Microsoft patch" scam
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-03-2003 05:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just in case there are still suckers out there who think that Microsoft emails out patches to their operating system, note that this email pictured below is a scam to infect your computer with a virus.

-

If these guys are caught, I hope Microsoft prosecutes them and all of their families into bankruptcy.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-03-2003 05:31 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't get the patch to work when I received it while running under Solaris. I'm stumped.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2003 06:47 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is yet another example of how silly hackers are and how dumb the average PC operator is. Bad grammar, incorrect technical terms, and just the whole idea of Microsoft emailing YOU are just too obvious of giveaways. How could anyone fall for this?!

AJG

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-03-2003 06:55 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, people are stupid. What will fool them even more is that the hyperlinks contained within the e-mail actually link back to Microsoft. So someone might say "Wow this really is Microsoft!".

I got this one a few days ago. I was on my Mac at the time and it didn't look anywhere near as pretty as Brad's picture, but the content was exactly the same. I am really curious as to what this "patch" does. Is it spyware? Virus? EXE that attempts to take over other people's computers?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-03-2003 09:23 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently enough users out there have fallen for the scam, as evidenced by my e-mail box having received literally thousands of copies of it --all replications sent from other infected "zombie" computers.

Of course I never fell for it. I knew Microsoft never e-mailed patches to anyone. But on top of that, the scam artists in their attempt to make an official looking MS e-mail alert GOT THE FONT WRONG! Dead giveaway that its a scam! Take a look at that "Microsoft" attempt at a logo in the pic Brad posted. Wrong font. That looks like Arial Bold-Italic. Trouble is Microsoft uses variations of ITC Franklin Gothic in their logo.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2003 12:29 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They also failed to capitilize the first letter in the first sentence. And the earlier version had a mispelled word in it as well. Ive received well over a thousand of these. Fortunately Roadrunner has caught them all.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-04-2003 05:15 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe said:

quote:
people are stupid
Yes, it seems they are. Take the the e-mail claiming to be from somebody in either Nigeria or the Congo, offering a large percentage of a large sum, for helping them get money out of the Country via your bank account; there are people who have fallen for it.

Then there was a chain letter type scheme some time ago, called 'Women Empowering Women'. It was the usual thing, send money to several people, get much more money back. There was a programme about it on television, where they interviewed several of the 'victims'. They were women in their 20s to 40s, all seemed quite intelligent, yet all had fallen for it. One even said she was not normally taken in by these schemes, but she had been sure that this one would would work. Where did she think all the money was going to come from?

Another recent television programme was about aman in the North of England, who sent out junk mail, not the electronic kind, he drove to his local Post Office every few weeks with a van full of sacks of letters, inviting people to join some sort of dudious scheme, I think it was selling something. They were told that they could, not would, make a fortune if they joined the schene. Many did. Many 'phoned to complain, he never answered the 'phone, but had a permanent answering machine on the line. One caller even asked 'Is this some sort of scam?', but still sent more money.

Each schene would last just a short time, and would then be shut down, to be replaced by a very similar one, operating under a different name from the same address. The names and address of all those who had lost thousands of pounds in these schemes wre kept on file, and would be used again in a future scheme. Some people fell for the same trick several times, in response to a very similar letter, from the same address.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-04-2003 12:32 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many victims of scams are lazy individuals who want to get rich by doing nothing. There's many millions of such people in America.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2003 02:26 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that people attach themselves to interesting narratives, like updating patches & alternative moon landing stories. It's part of what gets them sucked into a movie, stage show, or boring joke story being told by a salesman. If I had to theorize with no support, I'd guess that it's likely connected to an ability to empathize developed through evolution which enabled some varmints (like people) to succeed socially as part of its survival path.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-06-2003 04:45 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Nigerian '414' scam (and it no longer seems to be confined to Nigeria: yesterday I had one from a supposed exiled Zimbabwean white farmer) is now so well known that I find it hard to believe that people are still falling for it. It's even been discussed on national radio and TV! But I guess there must still be some suckers out there, or else the scammers would stop sending the e-mails.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-06-2003 08:34 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been fortunate so far -- none of these viruses that I've heard about affect Macintosh users.

I don't think we should be so hard on people who fall for emails containing viruses. Or the virus hoaxes, for that matter. I'd like to believe that it is human nature to be kind and trusting; I disagree with calling people "stupid" if their only crime is that they haven't lost their innocence or their sense of trust in others.

Exception -- stupidity would apply if the person keeps getting suckered into accepting viruses.

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2003 02:55 PM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the bottom of the virus-ridden bogus e-mail:
"The names of the actual companies and products mentioned herein are the trademarks of their respective owners."

Yet, what products are named in the e-mail? Internet Explorer, Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows 95/98/Me/2000/NT/XP! All of these are Microsoft products. [Roll Eyes]

If ye olde hacker had been thinking, they would have made the little blurb at bottom say that all product names are trademarks of Microsoft. In their attempt to look "official", they give themselves away. [evil]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-06-2003 06:22 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's great how a single patch can fix 95, 98, Me, 2000, NT, and XP. They forgot 3, 3.1, and 3.1.1. Perhaps all MS-DOS versions should be included as well... just in case. The total file size of the patch would be less than 100k. It fixes the operating system with magic!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 10-06-2003 07:46 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Multi system patches are nothing new. Many hardware vendors have done the same thing for years. It makes the life of system administrators in a multi system environment so much easier. It also benefits many clueless end users.

Microsoft has actually released many legitimate multi system patches over the years. Although they do usually separate the 9x from NT bases systems... but not always.

nVidia probably uses the massive all-platform patches the most.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 10-09-2003 01:36 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How to Tell If a Microsoft Security-Related Message Is Genuine

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: