Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Defeating Copy Protected CDs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Defeating Copy Protected CDs
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-09-2003 05:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much controversy has surrounded BMG's recent implementation of anti-copy protection on some music CD's; the protection prevents the user from copying the CD, or even "ripping" MP3 filez from the CD, thus rendering the consumer unable to destroy the recording industry. A student at Princeton discovered that simply holding the shift key down when inserting the CD in the computer prevents the copy protection from loading under Windows, thus enabling the consumer to resume its task of putting musicians and highly paid studio execs out of work, making them dig through trash in order to survive.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-09-2003 06:08 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, this is assuming the music on the disc is worth copying in the first place. [Big Grin]

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-09-2003 06:49 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that's right, 50 million over ten years spent creating this great encryption software defeated by a college student with five free minutes on his hands.

Same thing happened with DVD encryption. It was thought that there were a series of over 400 three digit numbers in the right order to break the encryption, when it was found that you only needed just ONE of the three digit codes to break it. DeCSS decryption software spanned the internet within days rendering DVD encryption moot forever.

Maybe just maybe if they spent less time FIGHTING piracy, they would attract much less attention to it. You know it wasn't until the BIG FIVE record companies complained about Napster that it got as big and out of control as it did. Most ordinary people just don't go looking to steal and pirate things off of the internet etc.

But when you raise a stink about a small fry, you attract attention and natural human curiosity to it, making that small fry and super sized extra large heart attack major stroke salty greasy ass order of fries... with cheese.

Dave

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 10-09-2003 07:19 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adema recently relased a sampler disc of stuff from their upcoming album, which I tried to rip to wave, MP3, and manually recording to wav within the computer. Neither of these worked, the resulting file stuttered really bad and the manual recording locked up after about a minute. In fact I cant even play it in that machine. This brings to mind another point. Does the cd automatically load a antipiracy program into memory that is always running as long as the CD is loaded? If so, you could go to task manager and close the offending program, or burn a copy of the cd missing the necessary program and autoload files? I am not trying to screw the recording industry, I am merely a hacker wannabe [Wink] [evil]

Josh

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2003 07:42 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an MP3 CD player I take on trips with me, and I make MP3 CDs so that I do not have a bunch of uncompressed CDs with me, and so that I do not have the chance of losing my originals. If I find that I have bought a CD that does not allow me "fair use" under copyright law, I will take it back, and demand my money back.

When a program is loaded into your computer by someone else, that changes how your computer works, that you do not want in your computer, isn't that called a virus? Maybe the management-morons at BMG should be thrown in jail.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-09-2003 08:47 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, what program did you use to try recording analog into a wav file? I don't think that should have happened. If you desire to keep the program "secret" - just send me an email and let me know what program it was.

I have a few ideas.... [evil]

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 10-09-2003 09:10 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean your VHS tape trick?? [Wink]

I was using CD player and Creative wavestudio. No secret there

JJ

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-09-2003 09:29 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I use "LP Recorder" from CBF Software in Australia and never have had a problem recording any CD to WAV format. If it will play in my computer, it will be recorded.

The old VHS trick is pretty lame and very well known...

I will get a hold of that demo disc that Josh is talking about and see if I can rip it.

(Which demo disc? The "Unstable" album or the "XCT1341-C" demo disc?)

(Disclaimer: The above information is for experimentation and medicinal purposes only) [Razz]

>>> Phil

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-09-2003 09:30 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always disabled "autoruncd" in Windows. It's a stupid and annoying "feature" which is also a pretty nasty security hole (since it executes whatever the CD tells it to upon inserting the disk).

For what it's worth, so-called "copy protected CDs" aren't, at least insofar as they don't follow the Red Book specification and aren't eligible for the "Compact Disc" trademark from Philips (which owns the trademark rights).

All of this stuff is lame, anyway. There's no effective way to prevent record piracy. Rather than continuously inventing lame and ineffective copy-protection schemes, he RIAA would be much better served by a) providing a quality product at a reasonable price and b) by providing some sort of online service whereby users can pay a reasonable price to legally download MP3 files of a wide variety of music.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-09-2003 09:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If someone is just trying to make a backup mp3 file (or a collection of mp3s on a disc to save on "baggage" in the car), a regular cd player can simply play the cd and record it into your computer in real time via the analog connections. While the audiophiles will scream about an unnecessary D/A and then another A/D conversion...it's an mp3!

I do firmly agree with Bruce, whenever the day comes that a cd I purchase cannot have a backup copy made, it will be returned.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2003 09:57 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As the kind of geek that habitually makes musical mixes from cd's already in my collection, I know that I'd be very put out if I found one of my discs didn't allow me to use any tracks from it.
Geez, not everyone that copies things from cd's is pirating music! [Roll Eyes]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-09-2003 10:22 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, I was not referring to the VHS trick. There are better ways than that. Brad has the right idea. [Smile]

Beside that, use SAW-32 for recording the wave file instead of that Horse's Assed Funky Creative Wave Studio. That is a POS from the word "Go".

Phil might have a good program....but it probably costs alot of money.

I also use "Music Match" to convert a WAV file to MP3 at just about every BiRate you elect to choose.

If you use SAW32 to record, use a rate 0f 44056 or 48000. It'll be one big file, but it will well be worth it. Then convert it to an MP3 at whatever kbs rate (up as high as 320 kbs) if you so desire. Music Match will go that high.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-09-2003 10:51 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, if I remember right, it was not all that expensive... I think like 20 or 30 US$. I think the prices on their website were listed in Australian Dollars and seemed high if one didn't notice that.

I also use the Creative product for recording CDs. I have been for the last several years and I'm totally happy with it.

As Far as the conversion prgs, I use "MP3 Recorder". It is great. Will "convert" ANY format to ANY format.

Brad has a couple of my "special" CD's that have been ripped from "protected" CDs and other sources and all the tunes play fine on computer or commercial/consumer CD players. I always have my CDs in my SUV while driving. [beer]

BTW: ***IF*** the "protection" prevents me from playing and making a "back-up" copy for my own use of a CD that I have purchased, I will not necessarily return the CD, but sure the hell will support and pursue "other" means to make a copy.

It gets to the point of being ridiculous what BMI/ASCAP & the Music "Pushers" do to us "consumers"!

>>> Phil

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-09-2003 10:55 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mind has not been changed on "Creative Labs CD recorder." [Wink]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-09-2003 11:05 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, so? [Smile]

Not trying to convince anyone of anything... An opinion and personal experience, just like others....

>>> Phil

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: