Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Never-ending Battle: Mac vs. PC (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Never-ending Battle: Mac vs. PC
Shane Hoffmann
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2003 08:58 PM      Profile for Shane Hoffmann   Email Shane Hoffmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are all you guys running on your home computers?
I'm on the MAC side, and I know several of you are also, from previous posts I've read, and I'm glad to see that. Usually, being in the minority, I have to battle the masses alone when defending my platform.

I have a 12" Powerbook G4, 60 GB HD, 640 MB RAM, 867mHz, Superdrive.

Why do I love Macs?

>Sometimes, it's just fun to argue
>I don't have to download security updates every other day.
>Most viruses aren't aimed toward me
>Final Cut Pro (or any other program that the creatively-geared mind desires)
>Everything runs smoothly
>MUCH more user-friendly than Windows
>What's not to love? They're gorgeous!

EDIT: Sorry Linux-users! I forgot to include you! Feel free to rave/rant.

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-15-2003 09:18 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Mac's are for pussy-ass(es)... right Joe? [evil]

(I STILL like Atari better than Apple)

>>> Phil

Shane Hoffmann
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2003 09:22 PM      Profile for Shane Hoffmann   Email Shane Hoffmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on, at least give some reason why [Frown]
No need to start the name calling..yet [evil]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-15-2003 09:27 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No the only computor of any values were
ADAM's
CBM's

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-15-2003 09:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil is just saying that to piss me off, but it doesn't work because everyone loves ATARI more than anything.

I have both a Mac and a PC. No laptops. I do most of my video editing on the Mac, though I only have After Effects on the PC so on the rare ocasion that I need to use AE, then the files are networked to the PC. I do a lot of web surfing on the PC. I am typing this post on the PC. For high end creative tools such as Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, etc etc etc nothing on Windows really compares (though VegASS Video is supposed to be a good video editor). The Mac OS is better than the Windows OS. With 10.3 out soon it'll kick quite a bit of ass.

Simple rule to follow:
If you don't intend on doing a ton of stuff with the computer and only plan on using it for internet, web server, tax filing, word processing, and things like that, stick with the PC. Macs are not really good computers for standard general use since they cost more.

If you have creative ambitions, spend the extra money on a Mac.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-15-2003 09:34 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Quotes & Responses:

>Sometimes, it's just fun to argue
That's a basic truism... I'll give ya that.

>I don't have to download security updates every other day.
There are not enough mac users that know how to surf... therefore not necessary to use "protection".

>Most viruses aren't aimed toward me
See above.

>Final Cut Pro (or any other program that the creatively-geared mind desires)
OK OK... I agree

>Everything runs smoothly
Yeah, sure...

>MUCH more user-friendly than Windows
Yeah sure...

>What's not to love? They're gorgeous!
Gorgeous? That word alone proves my statement.. [Smile]

>>> Phil

Shane Hoffmann
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2003 10:06 PM      Profile for Shane Hoffmann   Email Shane Hoffmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are not enough mac users that know how to surf
Phil- I have yet to meet a mac-user who isn't very computer-savvy. I would have to say that most of them do surf, we're just such a small minority that nobody bothers writing viruses. As far as no need for protection, that isn't true either; OS X is well-written with much fewer holes to exploit than Windows.
quote:
Simple rule to follow:
If you don't intend on doing a ton of stuff with the computer and only plan on using it for internet, web server, tax filing, word processing, and things like that, stick with the PC. Macs are not really good computers for standard general use since they cost more.

I disagree. If you don't intend on doing a lot of stuff with a computer, and especially if you don't know anything about computers, you SHOULD buy a mac. eMacs start at $799, iBooks from $999. Price shouldn't be an issue. If that's still too much $$$ buy a G3 imac on ebay. I just sold mine to my sister, but if I only needed for the basics, it would've been a great computer for me. Macs are also great for those new to computers because you plug 'em in, turn em on, answer a few questions and you're set to go.
They come with Safari (if not you can download it at Apple.com for free) for an internet browser. I've been using it since the beta release and love it. It aslo ships with programs for word-processing and taxes, as well as the iLife programs which are great.

quote:
With 10.3 out soon it'll kick quite a bit of ass.

Damn Straight! [beer]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-15-2003 11:28 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have yet to meet a mac-user who isn't very computer-savvy.
I have. They're just as common as clueless Windows and Linux users.

quote:
The Mac OS is better than the Windows OS. With 10.3 out soon it'll kick quite a bit of ass.
You said that when anticipating the release of OS X Joe. As far as I know you still use OS 9 more.

quote:
As far as no need for protection, that isn't true either; OS X is well-written with much fewer holes to exploit than Windows.
Really? Are you sure that it's not just that "we're just such a small minority that nobody bothers writing viruses" so nobody bothers. Why spend all that time in a door room or in your parents basement working on your exploit (while you could be out getting laid) and target a comparably small (read: tiny) portion of the personal computer user base. Where's the fun, and possibly 'fame' in that?

quote:
eMacs start at $799
Dell and others have entry level systems with similar pricing.

quote:
They come with Safari (if not you can download it at Apple.com for free) for an internet browser.
The DOJ should go after Apple for bundling a browser with their OS.

quote:
Everything runs smoothly
There's something wrong if your Windows based system doesn't run smoothly. I have never seen my main Windows 2000 machine crash / die / lockup / whatever. Actually, I've never seen any of my Windows 2000 Servers or any of my notebooks running Windows 2000 run 'un-smoothly' either. And you know what, I've never had a problem with any other operating systems, including FreeBSD, NetBSD, Redhat Linux, Slackware, etc. lockup on them either. Properly configured operating systems running on top of good hardware don't have problems. Really, it's that simple. That's the reason why Macintosh's run good, and 'smooth'. Apple has effectively done to their hardware platform what Microsoft has done to their software platform. They've blocked everyone else out so that outsiders can't f*#k it up. Being able to ensure that the hardware is actually good and reliable and conforming to their own standards, makes it incredibly more simpler to write or adapt an operating system for the hardware platform. That said, it is really incredible that Microsoft's operating systems run as smoothly as they do on literally hundreds of thousands of different hardware configurations running on multiple processor architectures.

quote:
I have a 12" Powerbook G4, 60 GB HD, 640 MB RAM, 867mHz, Superdrive.
So. [Smile] Wouldn't I have a Macintosh Notebook, or even a Powerbook G4 suffice?

I'm typing this on a keyboard connected to an MSI mainboard connected to an Athlon XP 2800+ and 1GB of DDR RAM, 1.2TB HD (yes 1.2 terabytes with 100GB free) and multiple removable media alternatives both inferior and superior to a SuperDrive. But so what.

quote:
I have to battle the masses alone when defending my platform.
Can somebody explain to me why you should need to defend an operating system. Aren't there better things to be defending?

Daryl's favourite operating system: MS-DOS 3.3

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-15-2003 11:39 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl, you forgot to mention that the processor is made by Motorola... they can't even make good cell phones, let alone a microprocessor. [evil]

AND! I agree, MS-DOS 3.3 rules! [beer]

>>> Phil

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2003 11:41 PM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BASIC is where it's at. Everything else is crap.

I've been through a lot of PCs over the years, family members have gone through Macs right and left but my ol' trusty Commodore 64 and 128 are both still alive and kicking here in the 21st century. Of course, I only use them to play those crappy games that I loved as a young lad. Give me big ol' nasty 5.25" floppy drives and hard-drive free RAM-only power machines!

I've never downloaded a virus on either my C-64 or c-128! [Big Grin] (or much of anything else for that matter!)

For real world use, I've stuck strictly to PCs. Not once have I ever had any of the problems with any version of Windows that are reportedly "commonplace". As one might expect, most problems "caused by Windows" are really caused by idiots trying to do too much with underpowered rigs or guys who screw up their own rigs by trying to modify things they don't understand.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-15-2003 11:57 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't about to attack Motorola, I hear they pay well. [Smile]

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2003 12:05 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adobe Premiere for windows is pretty good. The ultimate video editor for Windows is Avid DV Xpress. It works on XP only though.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-16-2003 12:15 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is flame bait. And the Mac versus PC thing is an irrelevant load of bullshit.

quote:
Usually, being in the minority, I have to battle the masses alone when defending my platform
I like Macs. But the term "defending my platform" really seems very dubious. Most of what I have seen in the past 20 years is Mac fans assuming a very elitist attitude and thumbing their noses at anyone who uses a different kind of computer. Just about any Wintel PC user will freely admit that Windows is not perfect. But Macs aren't either. Trouble is I only seem to read about Mac system crashes and buggy software in graphics application forums I visit (such as Macromedia's forums for instance --Freehand seems to have had a lot more problems on the Mac side than it did on PC, especially with FH10).

quote:
If you have creative ambitions, spend the extra money on a Mac
That really depends on what exactly you intend to do creatively.

I would recommend a Mac for print-based publishing, mainly out of consideration that most publishing houses and service bureaus have Mac-based infrastructures. Font handling is the biggest problem (but OpenType is supposed to solve that). It is possible to build an entirely PC-based publishing workflow pretty easily. A few years ago most professional color control and imposition systems were only available for the Mac platfom. Not so these days.

If you are doing in-house printing (particulaly large format thermal inkjet printing) it really doesn't matter so much what platform you use. However, leading large format production and RIP apps like Onyx Graphics Poster Shop Pro are PC only. If you have the bucks to install a 3M Scotchprint system, you'll be sitting in front of a Sun Workstation (yep, another proprietary thing.).

Sign making has been PC and UNIX dominated since the 1980's. That's only because the apps grew from manufacturing CAD/CAM/CAE applications, a market largely ignored by the Mac platform (and the thing which threw Apple way behind in the 3D thing).

The category "professional video editing" has to be clarified when it comes to computers. High end turnkey systems from Discreet, Avid and Pinnacle are highly proprietary (and not to mention extremely expensive). Some may use a Mac front end, but all are still very specialized.

Apple does indeed have the corner on the market for "prosumer" digital video editing since Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro are exclusive to the Mac platform. Those two apps are the ONLY thing that has me considering buying a Mac. I could not care less how fast Apple claims the G5 runs. Killer Apps like Final Cut Pro are the key to Apple gaining more success. Although they have to do more arm-twisting with vendors like Adobe to make the platform "switch" easier. With all the activation baloney Adobe is incorporating into "StudioCS" and the similar things worked into Macromedia StudioMX 2004, they are forcing me to keep those licenses on a WindowsPC.

The Mac has the advantage when it comes to computer audio editing. It has been awhile since I last checked, but I don't think there is a PC version of ProTools.

I can name a few creative things where you are really better served using a PC.

Web page design and development is the most popular creative activity on PCs. Color display and font handling is different between the two platforms. You're better off designing and previewing pages on the platform used by 95% of the world's computer users. On top of that, you just have more design and developmental tools for the web on the PC side, so much so that Macromedia has really been pissing me off by coming up with so many webby tools while other once-great applications like Fontographer and Freehand are being left to rot.

Although Apple has made up some ground on the 3D side, you're still better off doing 3D animation on a PC. Some "killer apps" like Discreet's Studio3D Max are exclusive to the PC platform. Other extensible apps like Maya and Lightwave3D have Mac versions, but a lot more plugins are written for the PC side. Then you have the simple matter of hardware availability. There's a lot of vendors making professional high-end 3D acceleration cards for PCs. Not nearly as many are doing it on the Mac end.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-16-2003 12:15 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl, you are a true whore... It's NOT about the money, it's about the "art". [evil]

Ron, Premiere is a humongous PITA to use. I hate it! It's enough to make me go out and buy a (God forgive me) a Mac so I can use Final Cut Pro. Now, that's a REAL PGM! [beer]

(SEE! I told you Shane what you started!) [Big Grin]

>>> Phil

David L Parlier
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2003 12:23 AM      Profile for David L Parlier   Author's Homepage   Email David L Parlier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that MAC's have their place in the world and this is especially true w/ graphic programs, but I hate MAC's. I think my negative view started in 4th grade when we had to use MAC's for some type of stupid class. You couldn't take the floppy disk out without telling the operating system to do so for you. What in the hell is the deal with that? Just give me a damn button!! Talk about clueless users. At least a normal computer has faith the user can remove a floppy disk by themselves. I could go on and on but I will stop here.

Oh, I am running Windows 2000 Pro on my desktop and Windows XP on my laptop. I have had no problems with either operating system to date.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: