Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Time change reminder (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Time change reminder
Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2003 03:14 PM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the weekend (where applicable) to set clocks back one hour for the change from Daylight Savings to Standard Time. Remember to change timers too - lights and fans.

|  IP: Logged

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2003 06:35 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Starting tomorrow, we'll have an hour less of sunlight each day, which will lead to the cooling off that comes with winter.

(I hope nobody actually believes that.) [Smile]

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2003 06:57 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do I move the big hand or the little hand?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-25-2003 08:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Travis,
You move the seconds sweep hand backwards 60 times [Razz] .
Mark

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2003 08:25 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spring AHEAD
Fall BACK

Matthew Peters
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2003 09:45 PM      Profile for Matthew Peters   Email Matthew Peters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We all moved froward one hour on this side of the globe, that’s one less hour of sleep for us [Mad] and one extra for you. [Wink]

[beer]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-25-2003 10:03 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both my computers are time-synced to the National Naval Observatory. -- tock.usno.navy.mil

Two of my wall clocks are the "atomic" version that sync to station WWV in Fort Collins, CO.

My cellular phone automatically syncs itself to the phone company's signal.

I don't wear a watch because it's not a good idea when working with electricity and machines.

The only clocks I have to worry about is my alarm clock and the one in the kitchen. Some day I will have them replaced with atomic clocks too. It's not just beacuse I'm lazy. I like it because all of the clocks in my house will be syncronized to the national time signal and to each other... all within a fraction of a second!

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2003 11:27 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of my favorite weekends because I, too, have a collection of "atomic" clocks which will be resetting themselves tonight while I sleep. In fact, I have more than 50 of them. (I started collecting them in 1995.) I'd say that everybody should consider getting at least one "atomic" clock, seeing as how they're relatively cheap now. You can get a really nice, large, analog, radio-controlled clock for only $15 at Sam's Club, for example. And you know, Randy, you can buy a radio-controlled movement for your kitchen clock (if it's analog) and convert it to an "atomic" clock if you want to. Search www.klockit.com if you're interested in a little do-it-yourself project. Of course, some people are content to just get the "correct" time from their cell phones. Or you could always go to the National Institutes of Standards and Technology Time Web Page too. (And, thus, I will end this shameless plug for my own hobby and for the Federal government's atomic timekeeping operations.)

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-25-2003 11:38 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one above my fireplace mantel is analog. It's fun to stay up and watch it change! [Smile]

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2003 12:11 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of Junghans "Mega Clocks." The hour hand is independent of the other two hands. When the clocks change for Daylight Saving Time (or when you change the time zone) the hour hand zips around while the minute and second hands remain normal. Kinda slick.

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2003 12:43 AM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh.. you all set your clocks back one hour..while I set mine one hour ahead.. the only thing is that it was done last weekend for me .

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2003 01:47 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far as I know, the Candian province of Saskatchewan is the only place in which they stay on the same time all year.

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2003 01:08 AM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Queensland Australia (the Sunshine State) gave Daylight savings the flick about ten years ago, we all ready get plenty of sunshine here!!!

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2003 01:09 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why exactly do we still do this?
Isn't it suppsoed to help out the farmers? If so, what does it help?

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2003 02:27 AM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I think the citys like it, because they can drive home after work in daylight. No good for outdoor theatres though. I hated it,-- I ran a drive- in when it was happening here.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: