Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Laser printer problem (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Laser printer problem
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-11-2003 08:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know of a good way to clean a laser printer so it won't pull multiple pages of blank paper through it's feeder as it prints?

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-11-2003 09:08 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having that problem with a couple of HP "all-in-one" boxes. Yours wouldn't happen to be that brand, would it?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-11-2003 09:17 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, HP Laserjet 3100. Fax/printer/scanner/copier

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-11-2003 09:25 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buy thicker paper. Seriously, most laser printers feed recycled paper, or anything below 20lbs like [bs] .

Some HP models have an 'upgrade kit' to fix this problem. Basically it's a piece of cardboard with a piece of sticky plastic that you stick in the paper feed. The 1100 series LaserJet's had this problem (and available upgrade), along with a few others if I'm not mistaken. Any HP authorized dealer should be able to order you this, usually free, upgrade if they don't already have it in stock.

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bpl06042

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-11-2003 09:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using 20 and 22lb paper for the 4-5 years I've owned this machine. It's never been an issue until just recently. Heck, I'm even using genuine HP paper!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-11-2003 09:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found that even thin paper stolen from the office works fine in my HP printer. Try stealing your paper and you will probably find that it works for you. Your printer won't screw up anything that you didn't pay for. Trust me, it knows!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-11-2003 09:37 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try putting you paper in the freezer for an hour.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-12-2003 12:48 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
4 or 5 years? Buy a new printer you cheap ass! It's worn out!

BTW Joe, I stole a whole bunch of Brad's HP paper while at the Halloween gathering...it's been working great in my LaserJet.

>>> Phil

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2003 03:21 AM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly, on my old hp 5l there was a cork piece that would wear out every few years that would "take moisture away" before the searing effect of the printer head. There definitely was a kit available... I will search around for the part number and get back to ya.

I had the exact same problem though, I believe. Sometimes one piece, sometimes twelve. Over 20lbs.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-12-2003 07:17 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a heat and wear issue, too. I had an HP deskjet that was on the verge of becoming obsolete back in the late '90s. The time was coming to print out my PhD thesis for submission (5 copies of a 450-page document). Plan A was to print out one and get the others photocopied, but then I spotted a pile of ink cartridges in Dixons which they had knocked down to a fiver in order to get rid of. A quick sum revealed that printing the lot out would be about half the cost, and as money was tight at the time I went for it.

Boy, was printing out 2,000 sheets on an ancient inkjet which takes about three minutes per sheet exciting! As the job progressed it did start sucking in multiple sheets at a time, especially after a few hours when the thing had got pretty hot. I think the rubber pinch roller which fed the paper through just got a bit sticky as it heated up. In the end I couldn't really leave it running for more than 3-4 hours at a time or else it would suck in a whole pile and totally jam.

In the end a cartridge caught fire about half way through the last copy and that was the end of the printer! Given that it was a very old printer and the cheapest of the range even when new, I'm surprised it lasted that long.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2003 10:40 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had this issue with HP laser printers in the past, the problem was not cleanliness but wear. The part in question was a "separator pad" which somehow governs how many sheets get drawn into the works, as it wears out too many sheets feed at once (this was a notorious problem on HP printers in which the paper is fed in vertically, like the model 6L). The fix was about $80 at a local independent computer store. The a-holes at CompUSA gave me a quote of $325 and suggested I buy a new printer instead, when I demurred they tried to charge me $100 for the 'estimate'. They didn't get it (I paid by check, after which I went home and stopped payment on it. Schmucks! [evil] ).

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-12-2003 03:12 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yup, HP Laserjet 3100. Fax/printer/scanner/copier

That's the one(s) I have [Mad] [fu] [Mad] [thumbsdown]

On the "wear" issue... I brought the second printer over from my office after the first one started doing this. The replacement had (maybe) 100 pages on it and was on its original toner cartridge. It started doing the same thing before the cartridge ran out.

NONE of the other printers I have (or had) have done this.

[ 11-12-2003, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Jack Ondracek ]

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2003 06:05 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our Lazerjet 3100 from HP does that too. But not often enough to worry about.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-12-2003 06:38 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The HP site blames it on everything but the machine. I've used 4 different brands of paper, different weights, fanned it, didn't fan it, did their recommended "U" bend... cripes... I've never seen so much garbage about what paper to feed a printer. This thing sometimes pulls 8 sheets into it... sometimes actually making it through... othertimes jamming with much obnoxious beeping and squawking.

My 5L was nowhere near the trouble... nor was my old Epson... nor are either of the Brothers that I have.

A few weeks ago, I called a local printer repair/supply business about this problem. They didn't return my calls. Hmmmmmmmmm...

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 11-13-2003 12:07 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have worked 27 years for a company that serviced office equiment. If that machine has printed the equivalent of 20 pages a week, you have far exceeded the reasonable life expectancy. Besides, any repair would be more costly than replacement. HP does make commercial machines that will serve much better than the home use crap sold in stores, it is more expensive and sold only thru serviceing dealers though. Throw It Away.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: