Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Doing a research paper on DTS...need opinions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Doing a research paper on DTS...need opinions
Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2003 06:49 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all. In one of my classes, organizational communication, we have to do a research project on a particular company. Essentially, we have to study the communication within the organization. We will have to discuss things such as how management talks with staff, do they hold meetings, what they wear,etc. Also, I think it'd be interesting to find out how good they communicate with customers or colleuges. So, what I'm asking, is if anyone on the board who has dealt with DTS (the company I ahve chosen) would be willing give a quote on their communication. I'm sure there are many of you on here that have dealt with them (I know I have) and have a good or interesting quote to add to this project. If you quote, make sure to list your name, what you do (theatre manager, technician, etc.) so that I can give the quote credibility, and the quote you want to use. Thanks for all the help everyone. I figured on this forum, filled with so many professionals, it would be a good place to find out how DTS is really communicating with clients on the front lines. Thanks!

AJG

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-17-2003 07:19 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well DTS likes to keep things private. They would rather discuss a problem via e-mail rather than here in the forum where all can see and benefit.

As to how they treat each other internally, I hear it is with whips and chains. It is run by a domanatrix who tortures her subjects with hot candle wax if they misbehave or if the profits dip. Management does not talk to staff. Instead they use morse code. Everyone at DTS loves Cheetos. That's all I really know.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-17-2003 07:22 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Lick My Boots! Mr. Slave!

Ummmmm... sorry... it was from a movie I once saw...OK OK, so I have seen it 22 times! JEEZE!

Aaron: While I have mostly dealt with the "upper-management" types, engineering, and software "writers"...I have always found them to be very friendly and helpful and very nice people.

Can't say the same for the Tech Support "lady" in reference to being "knowledgeable". And, sorry to say that tech support DOES indeed tend to sweep DTS problems under the carpet and communicate in private. That is NO help to us ALL. [Mad]

>>> Phil

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-17-2003 07:32 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, I would suggest that you contact someone like David Woodworth in DTS' Cinema Marketing Department about your paper. He might be able to get some information to you about some of the things DTS does in their daily operations. It would seem more credible for your term paper to have some sources from DTS rather than just our accounts alone.

I can say they certainly like theaters helping promote the format and run contests with prizes like home theater systems for theater managers and/or staffers who win.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-17-2003 11:54 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DTS system hasn't been all that hard to maintain... to this point. The drives aren't difficult to replace. I've had to change out a power supply on a 6D, but that was no biggie, considering the ancestry of these things. Quite a bit of information about their stuff has been posted here... some of it very useful. However, the tech support person has been fairly silent of late, so information about their new product has filtered into this forum a bit more slowly.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-18-2003 12:43 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had great luck with DTS till lately. The players are just as reliable as they have always been however they have pretty much refused to sell board level parts like they used to. Heck, a couple of years back I was even able to get the schematics for the output stages on the audio board to repair a unit that was in a fire.... DTS said the unit could not be repaired but its been back in action in an Iowa Theatre now for several years. Of course they'll gladly sell you an entire board for hundreds of dollars even if all that's wrong is a 10 cent part. Today for instance I repaired a Time Code Reader that had a shorted LED driver transistor. The green time code LED was always on. That would have been an expensive, very unnecessary, repair/exchange for our customer. The transistor cost .25 cents!

With the exception of EPROMs most board level parts are pretty easy to obtain, even the DC to DC convertor that fails once in a while on the Audio board is not really a problem and we even stock them.

Mark @ CLACO

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2003 01:06 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The usual response from DTS support is "move the CDs to a different drive and see if the problem follows. It does? OK, send it in for repair"

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2003 01:09 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can DTS be used in foreign countries to alternate dubbed and non dubbed versions of the same movie by just switching the CDs?

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2003 01:26 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Aaron, I would suggest that you contact someone like David Woodworth in DTS' Cinema Marketing Department about your paper. He might be able to get some information to you about some of the things DTS does in their daily operations. It would seem more credible for your term paper to have some sources from DTS rather than just our accounts alone.
Oh I'm way ahead of you. I've been talking with a lady in PR and she is sending me a press kit. In addition, I'm going to interview her via email this week. The only reason I posted this thread is so that I can get a "3rd" party perspective of DTS. It is not going to be the entire basis of my project, rather a section of it. By the way, is Karen Hultgren still lurking around these forums? Thanks for all the help guys.

AJG

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-18-2003 01:39 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can DTS be used in foreign countries to alternate dubbed and non dubbed versions of the same movie by just switching the CDs?
Yes.

I have had nothing but very good experiences with dts. I visited them recently. All the people there were very friendly and not at all secretive, but on the contrary took time for all my questions and showed me around everywhere.
quote:
do they hold meetings, what they wear
I guess they hold meetings like every company. They all wore normal clothes. What did you expect, that they wear dts shirts and basecaps all the time?
They have nice office buildings and the athmosphere there is very relaxed.

Tom Doyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 09:26 PM      Profile for Tom Doyle   Email Tom Doyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
With the exception of EPROMs most board level parts are pretty easy to obtain
You know, I looked on the techcenter website and I can't seem to find any of the EPROM images. I don't need any right now, but you'd think these would come in handy occasionally. Why don't we have them on film-tech? The DS3 disc image is available, I can't help but think DTS would probably also allow hosting of the most common firmware versions.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-26-2003 02:00 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Dts has given us the ok for the setup discs, but firmware??? Cd burners are incredibly common and easy to use, but how many people can really burn an eprom? I think that sort of thing is best left up to calling the dts tech hotline and requesting one.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-29-2003 08:06 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS firmware EPROMs are supplied free of charge anyway. So why on earth would you want to burn your own?
Mark

Tom Doyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2003 04:11 AM      Profile for Tom Doyle   Email Tom Doyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had very little experience with DTS, so I haven't seen any DTS units completely die on me (yet). However, I know that EPROMs can fail because I've seen it occasionally in video game and pinball PCBs. Whenever I get a dead boardset, after checking for obvious causes, I then verify that the EPROMs are holding the program properly. That's why the images are useful. I hadn't known that DTS ships replacements for free.

I'd be surprised if there were absolutely no techs here that owned EPROM programmers. However, you're right, it would be unnecessary to host the images. I hadn't thought about it, but any tech with a programmer must already have the images on file.

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2003 12:50 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always wonder why some members in this forum dont appreciate dts as much as people with similar profile in INDIA do.

DTS is the leading digital sound provider in INDIA for films and the reputation they have here is nothing short of legendary. The people who represent DTS here have a solid reputation with the theatre people for their understanding of the technology and for their familiarity with the system. And failures of discs or DTS units is definitely not a routine or regular occurence here.

The reliability of the DTS network (unit, readers and others) in the projector rooms in most theatres in INDIA is simply unprecedented.

Very often, it has been found here that the problem inside a projector room is rarely that of DTS but of other components like the amplifiers or the speakers that are wired to it.

The reputation of DTS for post production works is simply termed here as "first rate".

As to people that make up DTS, they are remarkable. Whether I see them as remarkable while some dont ? Most people I know share my opinion on it - the people who make up DTS here and the people at DTS, UK that supervise Indian operations are immensely talented and remarkable people.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: