Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Odeon, York (UK) threatened with closure

Author Topic: Odeon, York (UK) threatened with closure
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-27-2003 02:13 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The following appeared in today's York Evening Press:

quote:
Odeon Cinema Closure Threat
by Matthew Woodcock

York's last traditional cinema - the Odeon - could close, the Evening Press can reveal today. The cinema's owners have confirmed that the Blossom Street site is currently being assessed for its "economic viability".

But the Evening Press understands that staff at the historic picture house, which was built in the 1930s, were told at a meeting last week that it may have to be put on the market as "all possibilities" had been exhausted. A source, who wished to remain anonymous, said "redundancies were mentioned" at the briefing, along with the possibility of relocating some of the cinema's 20 staff to other Odeon sites across the region.

The Evening Press revealed last month that Odeon bosses had told City of York Council planning officers that they could be forced to close if plans to alter the high-level signs on the Grade II listed building were refused. But councillors dismissed the threat as "ridiculous" and rejected the application because the unique signs were "an architectural feature and integral part of the building".

The changes were planned as part of renovation work to the outside of the building, which also included repainting the doors and windows. Council leader Steve Galloway said he would be "astonished" if a sign outside the building was a factor in its closure.

"It would be with great disappointment if we lost the Odeon Cinema," he said. "It's part of the tradition of York and has been enjoyed by generations. "The building is a significant feature on one of the major routes into the city. I would appeal to the owners to think again about the issue."

A spokeswoman for Odeon Cinemas said: "Odeon Cinema can confirm that its cinema on Blossom Street, York is being assessed for its economic viability. "Management will continue to keep staff informed of any developments, should they occur." A leading York developer, who asked not to be named, said the site was "hot property" and could fetch more than £2 million. "You could easily put some offices on the ground floor and have a couple of luxurious penthouse flats on the top floor," he said. "Underground parking is also an option. There will be a lot of interest."

But York cinema enthusiast Maurice Brentley, from Acomb, said it would be "tragic" if the cinema closed. "The Odeon retains a traditional feel of the old-style cinemas and it would be very sad to see it go," he said. "The building has great character and a lot of people get a lot of enjoyment from it."

Sadly, I'm not surprised: York already has both a city-centre arthouse venue and a ring-road multiplex. The Odeon has also degenerated into a bit of a fleapit: the new arthouse is just a much nicer place to go and see films. But it's worrying how many of the 1930s town & city centre Odeons are going, now. Newcastle and Wimbledon last year, now it seems York will be next. If it does close, I do at least hope that the building will be 'mothballed' or converted to a new use in a way that preserves some of the atmosphere of how it operated when it was a cinema (as has been done with great success when the Odeon Scarborough was turned into the Stephen Joseph Theatre).

Link to story, though it'll only be good until tomorrow, when the page will be replaced with tomorrow's news.

|  IP: Logged

Dan Harris
Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2003 05:17 PM      Profile for Dan Harris   Email Dan Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be a great shame if this were to happen, although not unsurprising. A few of the traditional Odeon sites down this way are also being threatened with closure due to forthcoming multiplexes and/or low attendence.

Sadly, with Odeons insistence on placing restrictive covenants on the sites in sells, the site would unlikely to be able to be used as a cinema again.

Mind you, it looks as if Odeons ownership (which in itself is fast becoming a cinematic game of pass the parcel) may change again early in the new year, so who knows what the policies will be!

Howard Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2003 04:54 AM      Profile for Howard Johnson   Email Howard Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There seems to be a change in this restrictive policy now. The ABC Cosham which was owned by Odeon closed in Jan 2003 but was reopened 2 weeks later by Reel Cinemas and is still open as the Carlton . I work there part-time.

Dan Harris
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2003 06:05 AM      Profile for Dan Harris   Email Dan Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a competition thing I think isn't it. The closest Odeon to Cosham is Portsmouth, which wouldn't really be affected by the Reel Cinemas, whereas in situations like Bristol, a cinema taking over the old ABC Whiteladies would atke trade from the city center Odeon.

Dan

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-29-2003 04:43 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't have thought they'd be too worried in York. If the site was reopened by someone else, the only people they could potentially take business away from are Odeon's current rivals: City Screen and Warner Village (unlike the ABC Whiteladies Road where, if I remember that controversy correctly, the company selling it were opening a new site nearby and didn't want their business plan wrecked by the old one continuing to operate as a cinema). Given that City Screen and Warners are the probable reason why closure has become an issue in the first place, I can't see any reason why Odeon wouldn't just sell the site to the highest bidder, whatever they proposed to do with it. As far as I know, Odeon have no plans to open a site anywhere else in the locality.

Another possible reason for the threatened closure is that Blossom street is a little way outside the city centre proper (the other side of the station, out on the Harrogate road), and a lot of the cheaper residential properties around it (i.e. what would have been its main customer base) have disapppeared. You wouldn't find the place unless you were looking for it.

Dan Harris
Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2003 11:24 AM      Profile for Dan Harris   Email Dan Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not too familiar with the sites up there to be honest... just thinking out loud!

Closing ABC Whiteladies in Bristol was a huge mistake. Three years on from when the idea of the new Odeon multiplex at Canons Marsh was first introduced, the entire development is in the midst of a bitter planning row. A tasteful rebrand on Whiteladies would have worked a treat.

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2003 02:24 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad thing is, with a bit of tender loving care and renovation, (ok a million quid) it would be a superb cinema if converted from shite 3 screen to a nice 3 screen. Odeon just put two small cinemas in the rear stalls with mini screens, no bigger than my TV, and did a shoddy job in screen 1 in the old circle by just adding a wall at the front of the circle to create a wall for the two cinemas in the stalls.

The building is lovely and would make a great place to go see a film if reconverted correctly.

Darren

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: