Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Theatre architecture Word-Of-The-Day

Author Topic: Theatre architecture Word-Of-The-Day
William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2003 02:56 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
vomitorium: an opening, as in a stadium or theater, permitting large numbers of people to enter or leave.

Locate the vomitorium (or vomitoria) in your theatre, & use the word in conversation.

"Which way to Cat in the Hat? That way, through the vomitorium, you can't miss it."

|  IP: Logged

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-01-2003 08:08 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seabiscuit? Use the vomitoria directly ahead. Large aisles or ramps, we have 6 vomitoria. We'll try this word on the public this evening. Bet it will get some weird looks.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2003 03:58 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the vomitoria was where sick patrons go to barf.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-01-2003 05:28 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The auditorium turns into a vomitorium when the audience is subjected to Mariah Carey in "Glitter."

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-01-2003 06:00 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, OH! Now ya did it, Bobby! Even though you are 100% right, Adam will be PISSED! [beer]

Actually we always referred to those "capsule" and all poorly motion-programmed simulator rides as a vomitorium, barf rocket, or projectile ejector.

>>> Phil

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2003 07:43 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the second meaning of vomitorium [pl vomitoria] is indeed a room in which one vomits

quote:

1. A passage or opening in an ancient amphitheatre or theatre, leading to or from the seats. Usu. pl.

1754 Dict. Arts & Sci. I. 129/2 They were entered by avenues, at the end of which were gates, called vomitoriæ. 1766 SMOLLETT Trav. II. 228 The remains of two galleries one over another; and two vomitoria or great gateways at opposite sides of the arena. 1837 Antiq. Athens 48 Those numerous corridors and vomitoria which gave such free..access to all parts of a Roman theatre.

2. erron. A room in which ancient Romans are alleged to have vomited deliberately during feasts.

1923 A. HUXLEY Antic Hay xviii. 252 There strode in, like a Goth into the elegant marble vomitorium of Petronius Arbiter, a haggard and dishevelled person. 1965 R. EBERHART Sel. Poems 40 Good Boy Man! Your innards are put out, From now all space will be your vomitorium.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2003 09:14 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's vomitory in Merriam-Webster's...
quote:
Main Entry: vom·i·to·ry
Pronunciation: 'vä-m&-"tOr-E, -"tor-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ries
Etymology: Late Latin vomitorium, from Latin vomere; from its disgorging the spectators
Date: 1730
: an entrance piercing the banks of seats of a theater, amphitheater, or stadium

(Vomere: Latin for [puke] )

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2003 12:19 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vomitory & vomitorium are both used, & folks get up in arms over it like theater/theatre. Just My Guess is that vomitory became a US convention through abbreviation. Also, there seems to be a tendency to refer to the opening as a vomitory, & the adjacent funnel-shaped herding space as vomitorium.

On blueprints, you'll sometimes see the space labelled with the abbreviation "VOMIT."

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2004 01:10 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theatre architecture word-of-the-day:

fornicated: having an open ceiling constructed of vaulting.

Use the word in a sentence:
"The hallway ceiling at the Glenview 10 is fornicated."

-

http://www.film-tech.com/pics/glen/glen.html

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: