Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » WMA to mp3

Author Topic: WMA to mp3
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2003 02:47 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any ideas on how I can convert wma files to mp3 files for free? I have a new mp3 cd player and can't use it yet for mp3's. Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-01-2003 09:49 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) Stop using WMA right now. Consider instead using an open standard, such as AAC. Because WMA is not an open standard, any device or program that uses it must pay microsuck a licensing fee. Consequently, there are not very many shareware utilities that can make this conversion.

2) (Requires 2 computers) Connect the audio outputs on the back of the computer to a second computers audio inputs. Open a sound recording utility on the second computer. Prepare the WMA on the first computer for playback. Click record on the second computer, then immediately click play on the first computer. Export the resulting sound file on the second computer to MP3.
*This method also works for ripping streams in RealPlayer!

3) Enjoy all of your new AAC, AIFF, WAV, and MP3 files by using iTunes (free download for windows and mac at www.apple.com/itunes/ .) It is the easiest way to manage a large number of audio files, and even allows you to effortlessly burn MP3 CDs for your MP3CD player.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-01-2003 10:08 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using a full duplex sound card on a single machine would produce much better results.

Alternatively,
http://www.allformp3.com/mp3_other/smc.htm?edit

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-01-2003 10:58 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are machines without full duplex sound cards? Machines like that suck ass and should not be allowed to exist for any reason whatsoever. It almost sounds as if full duplex is difficult to achieve or something.

Anyway, just get a 1/8th inch miniplug to 1/8th inch miniplug (stereo) and loop the audio out of your computer to the audio in. If you can't record like this, then your compuer sucks and you need th throw it away now.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-02-2003 05:15 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the right drivers, you should be able to just record what you hear, no analog conversion required.

Piracy is bad though, so that's all the help you get.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2003 02:29 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's a random question that I'll stick here rather than opening a new thread?

Does anyone know of a good program I can download for recording audio?

I want something basic like Windows Sound Recorder. But I want a prog that will record to hard dtrive rather than recording to RAM.

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2003 12:35 AM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would just use winamps built in WAVout plugin to extract it and then use a ripping program to decode the file into an mp3. That is usually my simplest solution.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-07-2003 01:24 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never been able to get Winamp's WAV plugin to work. I select it and nothing happens. Using Winamp to convert stuff pisses me off. Can Winamp even play WMA?

Gunnar Johansson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2003 04:27 PM      Profile for Gunnar Johansson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Johansson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe: Yes, both winamp 2 and 3 plays .wma without problems, and can convert .wma to .mp3 but you might need a plugin, which can be found on winamps homepage. Just search for it. It's the simplest way I've always done it in.
No input on recording software, unfortunately.

//Gunnar

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2003 04:46 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im not sure if you can use these plugins in winamp3 because I cant find a menu to select them. I know for sure that you can use it in the earlier versions of it and I believe it comes with the install.
When you go to play the file after selecting the plugin, you wont hear any sound as it is decoding it. You just have to pick the output file and it will be there.
Also yes winamp does play .wma and wmv files

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: