Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » LOTR Premiere in New Zealand (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: LOTR Premiere in New Zealand
David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2003 03:08 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Incredible scenes in Wellington (Wellywood) yesterday.
A freind of mine was 1 of the 100 000 lining the parade route. Tha atmosphere was electric.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2744683a10,00.html

Lord of the Rings just the beginning
02 December 2003

New Zealand should expect more extravaganzas such as that witnessed by tens of thousands of people at the world premiere of Return of the King, leading figures say.

Lord of the Rings Minister Pete Hodgson said that, while there would never be another Lord of the Rings, it had set the platform for other big budget films to be made in New Zealand.

"For those people who are anxious about The Lord of the Rings closing a chapter I would simply say, 'that's quite wrong', they have really successfully ensured that a chapter is just opening."

The success of The Lord of the Rings in New Zealand would be repeated with other films. "We simply need to say to anyone really, in London or Hollywood, ahem ahem, remember Lord of the Rings. That's that, I mean what else is there to say?"

Mr Hodgson said the trilogy had changed the nature of the tourism industry permanently.

"Some people would come to New Zealand for Lord of the Rings reasons for years to come in the same way that they go to Austria for Sound of Music reasons 40 years later."

It had also boosted the New Zealand film industry to a new, much higher and permanent plateau.

"There can be no doubt now that New Zealand can make pretty much any movie it turns its mind to, as it did with Lord of the Rings," he said.

As well, it had changed the world image of New Zealand – it had showed it was much more than a green mountainous country with lots of sheep. The information technology that went into the Rings trilogy was the best in the world and showed remarkable artisanship.

Wellington Mayor Kerry Prendergast said the movie had put Wellington on the international map like no other event in history.

She said more than 100,000 people had turned out to watch the parade through central Wellington yesterday and she was confident that if any Wellingtonian created the kind of masterpiece Peter Jackson had, the city would turn out again.

"This event absolutely confirms our status as the creative capital of New Zealand," Ms Prendergast said.

Tourism Minister Mark Burton said the Rings film project had showcased New Zealand in terms of the natural environment and the creative genius and technical talent of the country.

Mr Burton said it was hard to imagine a bigger celebration in Wellington, but the foundations laid by this project meant there would be many opportunities for creative New Zealanders to work here on future projects.

Dominion Post

|  IP: Logged

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2003 12:10 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A freind of mine was 1 of the 100 000 lining the parade route.
Did they throw Moon Pies or hand out ornately decorated coconuts? These things have to be done right.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2003 01:39 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moon pies, Coconuts?, is this an American thing?

BTW Street sweepers were out all night cleaning up streamers etc

Stephen Isaacs
Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2003 02:24 AM      Profile for Stephen Isaacs   Email Stephen Isaacs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, how did the opening go?

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2003 04:19 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wellington did Well , Hmmmm 100,000 would most of the City wouldn't it ???? and Embassy really looked good [beer]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-02-2003 04:28 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where did the money for LOTR come from?

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2003 05:24 AM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Where did the money for LOTR come from?
That's a very good question. The fact is that Peter Jackson acquired the screen rights to the literary work. With this asset, he tried to get a number of off shore companies interested. It was too bigger project to be financed in New Zealand. After several rejections from the majors (didn't they stuff up), he tried New line as a last resort. They had a background of financing independent projects. He was only going to make one film. To his surprise, they said why not the three?

Although Peter has said recently, he had no idea of the magnitude of the task of shooting the three similtaneously, at the time, he and his team have pulled it off. They were working on it until about a week before the premier. There has been very long hours worked with no time off.

Because the film was largely financed off shore, you could say that it is an American film or at least a co production. Certainly, because of the controversial, complicated tax arrangement, the tax payer here would have been picking up the tab if the trilogy had been a financial failure. Now that it is clearly a success, foreign investors will do very nicely.

The really positive aspect is that it has helped to build a very significant film infrastructure here. Location filming and special effects were done in New Zealand. The King Kong remake will start production next year and when finished, Peter has said he wants to make some New Zealand films with local stories. He will certainly have the financial independance to so do. By the way, cocoa nuts don't grow in New Zealand - wrong part of the globe.

Stephen Brown
Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2003 06:03 AM      Profile for Stephen Brown   Email Stephen Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have thought that 100,000 would have been the entire Population of New Zealand [Big Grin]

Ah well whatever makes you guys forget the World Cup..

Steve Brown

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2003 07:18 AM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think it's unfortunate that a direct lift from a local press release has appeared on this site, as there is always a large amount of hype with these subjects. I squirmed when I read it. You can take a lot of the comments from it with a grain of salt. It can often give rise to adverse reaction where there is sensitivity and that isn't limited to Australia.

quote:
I would have thought 1000,000 would have been the entire population of New Zealand
Well actually, 3.5 million might be closer. We are not THAT clever.

quote:
whatever makes you guys forget the world cup
I had before it even started. Actually, I don't think there is anything more ridiculous than seeing grown men chasing an oval ball in the mud. The fact that their reward is sometimes a broken neck provides very little additional attraction to me. I personally think netball is far more interesting to watch, more skillful and has far greater pace on television. Coverage of it here rates through the roof.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2003 07:32 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have a Lord of The Rings Minister? [Confused] Does this mean now the trilogy is complete he is out of government ?

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2003 09:01 AM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
you have a Lord of the Rings Minister
we have a Minister of the Arts and happens to be a she not a he. We have a Film Commision which receives government funding to support the film industry. LOTR did not receive any such subsidy however except, as I've mentioned, tax breaks.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2003 09:35 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warren said:
quote:
we have a Minister of the Arts and happens to be a she not a he
but in the original posting from David Favel it says
quote:
Lord of the Rings Minister Pete Hodgson
[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2003 12:20 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping they will do "The Hobbit" now that the Trilogy is complete. There's plenty of demand for more J.R.R.T. stuff and those that haven't read all the books (starting with the Hobbit) will appreciate how the story gets started.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-02-2003 12:58 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today's Hollywood Reporter reports that Director Peter Jackson would like to film "The Hobbit" after he completes his current project "King Kong":

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/threast/pdfs/thre1202.pdf (See page 3)

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2003 02:45 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Zealands Population has past 4 million , although sheep and cattle still out number the humans of Middle Earth [Big Grin]
and with a Land Area larger than the U.K (Scotland ,England ,Wales and Nth Ireland) there's alot of room to roam around , that's why it's such a good place to film in , and easy to travel from Snow Capped Mountian's to desert like conditions in only a couple of hrs flight and no modern day things to spoil sweeping film shots .

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: