Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » DTS Pirating Documentation?

Author Topic: DTS Pirating Documentation?
Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-02-2003 06:53 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1999 readme.txt file from Dolby resource disc:

quote:
[Notepad users: Activate "Edit/word wrap" if the text flows off the screen.]

March 1999

The enclosed disc contains Dolby Cinema Products Technical Resources. The index and documentation are provided in PDF file format. PDF files may be viewed using an Adobe Acrobat Reader. Acrobat Reader Version 3.0 is included on this disc. Instructions for installing the Adobe Acrobat Reader are located in the readme files located in the Acroread folder on this disc.

Note to Macintosh Users: All files on this CD were prepared on a PC. Links and auto-open features require the PC Exchange Control Panel to be configured correctly.

2003 readme.txt file from DTS XD-10 manual zip file:

quote:

******* DTS XD10 e-Manual Readme.txt *******

[Notepad users: Activate "Format/word wrap" if this text flows off the screen.]

This CD contains an electronic version of the DTS XD10 Installation and Operations Manual.
The manual is provided as a set of PDF files, which can be viewed on a Windows or Macintosh platform by running the Adobe Reader application. If you do not already have the Acrobat Reader application, you can obtain it free-of-charge by downloading from:
http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/acrobat/readstep.html

Note: The current version (June, 2003) is version 6.0. You should obtain the Reader in the language and format (Windows, Mac, etc.; English, French, Spanish, etc.) that you desire.

******* USING THIS CD *******

Open the file named Welcome.pdf. This file introduces the XD10 e-Manual structure. Note the link to "Using Acrobat Search," which explains how to perform a full-text search of the manual. (The e-Manual has been indexed to enable this search capability.)
Next open the file named contents.pdf. This is the main point of entry or gateway to the e-Manual. Contents.pdf describes and links to all parts of the e-Manual. You may want to create a shortcut (on your desktop) to contents.pdf for ease of future use.
Each pdf file has a complete Bookmarks listing of all the headings in the chapter, as well as a link back to Contents.

For best results when printing files, set the resolution to 600 dpi or lower.

Note to Macintosh users: All files on this CD were prepared on a PC. Links and auto-open features require the PC Exchange Control Panel to be configured correctly.

Please send your comments/suggestions to documentation@dtsonline.com.

At least DTS was thoughtful enough to update the file to reflect Microsoft moving the word wrap option in Notepad.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-02-2003 08:15 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How interesting, considering the Mac has been able to handle pdf through the operating system for 2 years. I havent even heard anyone make reference to the PC Exchange control pannel since Mac OS 8!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-02-2003 07:53 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused. What did DTS pirate or plagerize? A phraze on how to use Acrobat Reader? Bah. What gets me is why Dolby and DTS didn't fill out the tiny bit of paperwork to actually license and include Acrobat Reader on their resource discs. Pretty easy to do. Our sign company's promotional disc includes Adobe Reader 6, along with a couple other free apps that way the customers don't have to bother downloading them. Not everyone has broadband. It is better for the customer to see the content on the disc rather than use it for a frisbee.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-02-2003 10:47 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought it was odd that one of the companies, it could have been Dolby (but I don't believe so), has seemingly just copied the other's documentation and edited it to suit their needs. Really, would it be that hard to come up with your own readme file?

Dolby did include Acrobat Reader 3.0 on their disc back in 1999.

DTS didn't include the reader since you have to download the already bulky (17MB) zip file anyway.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-03-2003 11:42 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably indicative of nothing more than a lazy technician or tech writer. [Wink]

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2003 04:11 AM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would tend to think that they didn't actually swipe them from each other but from a 3rd party. I've seen lots of different readme's that were worded nearly identical to those.... so they probably both stole the paragraph, but most likely from something like a piece of software they both own. [Smile]

--Chris

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-04-2003 09:10 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Daryl has been PWND!

Daryl, you need to think twice before posting on this forum again. I don't care what those two thoughts are, just as long as you have two of them. They could be "I'm hungry" and "Trees that dance don't do push ups" for all I care.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: