Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Upcoming 70mm Fest in Los Angeles (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Upcoming 70mm Fest in Los Angeles
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2003 02:25 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the American Cinematheque's latest press release:

THE 4th GREAT BIG 70 MM FESTIVAL!!
January 22 - 25, 2004
From Super Technirama 70 to Ultra Panavision to Dimension 150 and
more, the 70 mm. large-screen format promised - and delivered - a
Barnum-esque world of spectacular sights and 6-track sounds. If the
movies were always larger-than-life, then 70 mm. movies were MUCH much
larger - films ..... From 1955 to 1970 - the Golden Age of 70 mm.
Filmmaking - there were nearly 60 Hollywood features shot in large
format, with many more released in special engagements as 35 mm.-to-70
mm. blow-ups (which still offered superior sound and image quality to
their 35 mm. counterparts.)

This semi-annual series is a very rare opportunity to experience 70
mm. as it was meant to be seen: on a big, beautiful screen, with
booming, 6-track multi-channel sound. Following the success of our
past Festivals, we're delighted to present gorgeous new restorations
of two seminal 70 mm. films: Jacques Tati's' masterpiece PLAYTIME (not
to be missed!), the restored Todd AO print of Ken Annakin's THOSE
MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES; as well as new prints of the
sumptuous musical HELLO DOLLY! and Stanley Kramer's IT'S A MAD, MAD,
MAD, MAD WORLD. And don't miss the rare screening of Walt Disney's
landmark film SLEEPING BEAUTY !

Thursday, January 22 - 7:30 PM 70 MM
New Restored 70mm Print!!
PLAYTIME, 1967, Criterion, 155 min. Dir. Jacques Tati.

Friday, January 23 - 7:30 PM 70 MM

Saturday, January 24 - 5:00 PM 70 MM
New Todd-AO 70mm Print!
HELLO DOLLY!, 1969, 20th Century Fox, 146 min. Directed by Gene Kelly

Saturday, January 24 - 8:15 PM 70 MM

Sunday, January 25 - 1:00 PM 70 MM
Children's Matinee:
SLEEPING BEAUTY, 1959, Walt Disney Co., 75 min.

Sunday, January 25 - 4:00 PM 70 MM
Brand new restored Todd-AO 70mm Print!!
THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES, 1965, 20th Century
Fox, 133 min. Discussion following with director Ken Annakin

Sunday, January 25 - 7:30 PM 70 MM
New 70mm Print!
IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD, 1963, MGM/UA, 154 min.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-09-2003 02:55 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drool. [Cool]

I'm in Los Angeles January 12-14 for the annual ITEA Projection Seminar Series, but can't extend the trip to see these great films projected as "Film Done Right" by Paul Rayton and crew. [thumbsup]

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2003 03:54 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael

Just make sure all the forward shipping labels are changed to:

Pictureville Cinema
NMPFT
Bradford England

[beer] [Wink]

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2003 04:38 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bummer. I'll be about 3/4 of the way there, but I'll be busy in Park City.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-09-2003 04:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No amend that shipping label Dick to read

VIA Ontario Place Cinesphere
955 Lakeshore Blvd West
Toronto
Ontario Canada
for extended run [Big Grin]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-09-2003 05:49 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Extended Run" Watch out! Ontario Place is like a black hole for prints. [Smile]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-09-2003 06:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
don't worry they need to be climatized before shipping overseas [Smile]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-09-2003 06:30 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No George? (Think D-150) Hrrrmph.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2003 01:35 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be there to see "Hello Dolly", as I missed it last year. I heard many good things about that print.

Too bad they didn't chop out the song that the lady sings in the hat shop; that dubbed over vocal would make a cat hiss!! [puke] What were they thinking! It's so obvious and fake!!

Danny

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2003 02:09 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the Egyptian like now? I read that it was greatly remodeled for the American Cinematheque. What are the auditorium specs: Screen size, size of auditorim from screen to back wall, etc. Greg Mueller (I think) mentioned sitting in the balcony at Jeff Joseph's 3D extravaganza, I suppose the booth is still in its original position?

I read that some of the floor was partitioned from the auditorium to create restaurant space or something. This is not so strange, since the Egyptian was originally a silent-era house & possibly had no partition between the back of the house & entry points like foyers, etc. Those type of houses have at some point *had* to have partitions installed for sound isolation.

Who's that guy who is impersonating Dan Lyons & cashing his checks & all? He's doesn't even look like Dan; who is he trying to fool? Is Dan like tied up in a closet, or dumped out in the wilderness somewhere? California is scary.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2003 09:56 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William, here's a link to a series of articles on the Egyptian Theatre remodeling.
http://www.volume5.com/egyptian/intro.html

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2003 12:57 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the only "restoration" was in the forecourt.

quote:
however, its most distinctive feature, the elaborate proscenium, was removed almost three decades ago.
I thought I remembered that it was just widened by removal of some of the inner portion of decorative features like columns.

It's interesting how these things are spun hard to conceal things that lead to unwelcome questions:

quote:
The perforated, low-relief sunburst which reaches into the blue ground of the ceiling will become the chief historic decorative feature of the auditorium.
Well, it's the organ grille, the Egyptian's organ was over the prosc, the grille was decorative as they all were unless the organ was located under the stage. I think I read somewhere that some folks are trying to get an organ back in there, but for silent shows they've used an electronic organ (a "toaster", as electronic organs are called in the scornful vernacular).

They excavated under the balcony for the new construction; what did they do to the balcony? It's conspicuously unmentioned. Is it all demo'd & new office space constructed for the people who made their money off it?

They sure worked hard pointing out bits that were "restored" (some exterior), "preserved" (now hidden & mechanical spaces), & "rehabilitated" (completely remodeled). The only "historic" inner part visible is the organ grille & some sections of the walls when the panels are retracted, otherwise, it's a college drama dept. black box theater? It's sure not the Castro or Oakland Paramount.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2003 01:16 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William,

I never saw a balcony at this theatre until the current redo. If there was a balcony originally, it was closed up and plastered over decades ago. The procenium was also completely removed (not even one pillar visible)since at least the 50's. I saw a number of films on the theatre's D-150 screen. The deep curving curtains and screen occupied the whole front of the semi pie-shaped auditorium. At this time, the projection booth was downstairs, literally a black box at the rear of the theatre. In its newest incarnation, the lobby was expanded considerably into the old theatre, with an additional small theatre situated in part of the lobby (the Steven Spielberg theatre). The main theatre features a balcony and the new projection room is located in the balcony. Entrance to the balcony is from staircases entered after entering the entrance doors of the auditorium (but before you hit the seating area). The seating is now a stadium configuration.

And yes, it is a black-box theatre. But an extremely good one.
I plan to see THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES in January there.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2003 06:33 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried taking some pics inside of Graumans Egyptian last time i was there, no luck. My digital cam doesn't like the low light levels inside. You'd think the people at the American Cinemateque would have tons of pics up on their site to entice people to go check it out, but no.

Someone with a good cam go there ASAP!

Danny

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2003 09:44 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The American Cinematheque will also be showing a 70mm print of VERTIGO the week before this fest as part of their tribute to Kim Novak.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: