Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Surfing with Safari?

Author Topic: Surfing with Safari?
Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2003 11:30 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very likely buying a 20" G4 i-mac after January 1st, and I would be interested to hear from any Mac users who are using the Apple Safari web-browser . . . how do you like it, benefits, drawbacks, ease of use, does it block pop-ups, that sort of thing?

And, I thank you. . .

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-11-2003 02:29 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Safari is good. It's fast and it works on 90% of sites out there. It doesn't work quite right on Film-Tech, though. (The BACK button doesn't work.)

Lately I've been using Camino as my primary browser. It's just as fast as Safari. (Maybe even a little faster.) It works well on more sites than Safari. Besides, I just like it better... personal choice.

I suggest downloading two other programs to go with Camino:

1) Camino Knight -- A download utility to automatically get updates to Camino.

2) Chimera Booster Turn on HTTP pipelining and makes the browser run even faster.

If you have some problems with sites and you have pipelining activated, turn it off. It's not supported by all servers, that's why it's off by default.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2003 03:40 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My back button (Netscape) doesnt work inside the forums, so I have to click on forums and go back in the right one. Well not all the time at least.

Roger Katz
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2003 04:56 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say Safari works with about 99% (not 90% as previously mentioned) of sites out there. Film-Tech is really the only one I've had problems with, though I think I can recall a couple of others too. The best part about it, besides the fact that it is wicked fast, is that it blocks all those damn pop-up ads. I go to work and use IE on a Windows computer and the pop-ups overwhelm me because Safari makes one forget that pop-ups even exist.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-11-2003 05:03 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are popup windows?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-11-2003 07:50 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Safari sucks my hairy unwiped ass after a session of explosive diarrhea! Let it be known that the Mac really doesn't have any "great" browsers. Mozilla Firebird is the best so far though. I switched to it from Camino because Camino just seemed too clunky and hasn't been officially updated in nearly a year. Out of all the browsers on OS X, Safari would rank in the bottom 3 or 4. Netscape 7.1 is very good. It works perfectly 100% of the time with Film-Tech. The Javascript support on nearly all Mac OS X browsers (and OS X itself) sucks or is at least not very good.

The only browser for OS X that doesn't block pop-ups is Internet Explorer. It uses "jscript", it's own version of javascript. It is the only browser that properly handles java on OS X.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2003 08:47 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Safari on Mac OSX as my primary browser and I like it just fine, although I'm not a geek like many others on here. But as someone else commented, there is a problem using Safari on this Board in that you can't use the Back button -- you have to hit the thread indicators at the top or go back via the Forums button. But that only happens on this Board - it does not happen on other Boards that use the same software.

Safari is stricter with sites that use XHTML than IE is, but it also displays better. So if the code isn't right, IE might get away with it and Safari will display what it can, but also generate error messages. Safari supports more of the XHTML elements than IE, but one it doesn't support is small caps text. Safari also supports negative positioning in CSS; IE won't do that. One thing I find interesting is that colors display slightly differently in IE and Safari.

One thing I'd like to see changed in Safari is that when you go to the bookmarks window to create a new bookmark, I think the folder should default to the selected folder (if one is selected), but it doesn't. Instead, it defaults to the last folder you saved to.

I have NEVER seen a popup using Safari. It also has a neat button that takes you back to the top of a site or to the top of a Google search.

But if you can...I'd go for the G5.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-11-2003 08:56 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IE uses the Windows palette when rendering pages. Safari uses the Mac palette.

Nobody uses the same software, there's so little left of the original software that it'd be hard to recognize. [Smile] The back problem is caused by Safari's difficulty with its JVM. One of these days I'll fix it. I didn't write the code that's causing the problem and I absolutely hate javascript so don't anybody hold their breath.

Roger Katz
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2003 09:00 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got an eMac running OS X Jaguar and I have 4 web browsers. I'd rank them as follows: 1. Safari (I use this 99.9% of the time), 2. iCab, 3. Camino, 4 Internet Explorer (nearly everything appears wrong in it).

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-11-2003 10:59 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing that Safari has that I like is "Snapback". It's the only browser that has this. Just about every other good feature in safari can be found in most other Mac browsers.

As for the Java thing, I have to agree. Java support leave a lot to be desired. However, Apple has released a new update. Java 1.4.1 It is starting to show some improvements. Java apps run faster and don't use as much memory. I don't have any trouble running apps in Java Runtime. I wish Apple, et.al. would get their collective shits together on this.

I just recently downloaded Firebird. Haven't really given it a good test drive yet. If it's as good as Joe says it is, I'll probably start using it full time. On the other hand, if Joe says it's good enough to use full time I probably SHOULD. Joe's word is good enough for me. [Big Grin]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-11-2003 11:35 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IE renders far more pages correctly than iCab, which has a hard time rendering a single line of text, it seems.

The worst thing about Firebird is that it looks kind of Windows-y when it comes to the buttons and menus, etc.

Also, I just checked some pages on both Safari and IE and the colors were exactly the same (colors applied by HTML code. I did not pay attention to graphical images.)

One browser I never hear anyone talk about anymore is OmniWeb. Does it still suck? I find it amazing that Netscape no longer sucks. Maybe there is hope for OmniWeb and perhaps even Mac Opera!

PS - iTunes sucks. I just thought I'd throw that in there. I want SoundApp for OS X!

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2003 11:44 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two Words

Windows XP RULES!!!

Ok thats 3 but, I've never used a Mac and don't ever intend to.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-12-2003 08:55 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your brilliant contribution to this thread, Richard (which doesn't even concern you if you don't use a Mac). You are obviously trolling and that will not be tolerated. Please think twice... no make that 3 times before you post again.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-12-2003 09:32 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard this topic was on browsers not the base operating system
I don't use a mac but run several PC's none have XP regretably some hav win98 the rest including the server run OS2 warp and that I don't plan to change any time soon
[evil]

Shane Hoffmann
Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2003 05:14 PM      Profile for Shane Hoffmann   Email Shane Hoffmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that Safari works 99.99% of the time. The only problem I have had with it is the issue with the back button on this site. It's a small sacrifice to make since I had been using IE until they releaded it. The speed compared to IE makes up for it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: