Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Mics For Recording Sound Effects (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Mics For Recording Sound Effects
Shane Hoffmann
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2003 09:36 PM      Profile for Shane Hoffmann   Email Shane Hoffmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody have any suggestions for a good microphone to record sound effects with? It will be for a short DV project that I will use Final Cut Pro to edit.

Also, has anybody used Apple Soundtrack? Will my best option be to record the sound directly onto my laptop, or should I use my camcorder to record the sound?

I'll appreciate any help you can offer.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-14-2003 09:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the microphone of the Canon XL1 to record all of my foleyed sound effects. You can detach it and (slightly) move it away from the camera. I record directly to the DV tape and then import into Final Cut Pro later. It's good to get the microphone fairly close to the sound effect being recorded unless it will be excessively loud. The Canon also has great manual audio level controls.

I have Apple Soundtrack and it is fun to play with for a few minutes. You can't really come up with anything incredibly original and it is very hard to end a song unless you fade it out since all of the loops are just for the middle of a song. You might be able to come up with something fitting, however. For a feebie that comes with Final Cut Pro 4, though, you can't really go wrong. But it takes up a ton of space.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-14-2003 10:24 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a while for me... but it used to be normal to select a microphone based on the effect being recorded, the SPL expected at the record point and any noice cancelling required. I'm not sure you could do this on a more-or-less professional basis with one microphone. At the last couple of concerts I attended with my kids, I noticed that the trap sets were still being mic'd with a couple different models, and the performers had a different model still.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-14-2003 10:47 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it was a point source sound I'd use a Shure SM-57. Mic positioned about 12" from the source, pointed slightly off axis. If it was a less concentrated sound I'd use a Shure SM-58. Both mics have the same cartridge (similar freq. response) inside but the pattern is wider on the "58" than the "57". If it's a wider sound, still, like a chorus or a band I'd use a condenser mic. I've got a couple AKGs that'd be nice but I forget the model. I'd record directly to CD then rip the sound from the CD onto my computer as an AIFF or AAC, using a bit rate to match the intended quality of my final movie. (If you're compressing the shit out of the final product, no need to record/rip at super high bit rates, no?)

All that begs the question of whether you actually HAVE the mics, mixing board and CD recorder. [Roll Eyes]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-14-2003 11:51 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I have good luck using my Electro-Voice RE-20's. Great dynamic range, overhead, and presence for voice, music, and efx. The built-in pop screen/filter is a big help.

For MOS, I use the RE-50. A great general-purpose mic.

>>> Phil

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-15-2003 01:14 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tube Neumann's sound great! Just don't drop them!
(He never said cost was a consideration) [Big Grin]

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2003 06:12 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently purchased a low cost condenser microphone (less than $100). It has an internal FET amplifier and requires 48 volt phantom supply to operate. This is my first experience with condensers (other than cheap electrets) and I must say the sound quality is quite awesome. Having said all that, though, I don't think a mic of this type would do well outdoors in the elements and wind.

Shane Hoffmann
Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2003 04:48 PM      Profile for Shane Hoffmann   Email Shane Hoffmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy,

Does the Shure SM-57 work well outdoors? Also, how do you go about recording directly onto a CD?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-15-2003 08:00 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you're hell-bent on Shure, the SM-94 is a much better mic than the 57. Much wider, flatter freq response, and colorless. A little more pricey than the 57 but really worth it.

>>> Phil

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-15-2003 09:10 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean by "outdoors"? Can they withstand rain and snow? No! If you refer to their being able to handle wind/external noise? Yes. If the wind noise is too strong put a fuzz-muffin on it.

To record directly to CD, you get your mixing board and connect one of its outputs to your CD recorder and put it in record mode. Balance, level and EQ your output to the recorder. Hit the "go" button on the recorder and you're there! The resulting CD is, for all intents and purposes, a normal audio disk. Put it into your computer and rip it to HD and do with it what you will.

There are a few inefficiencies in the process. The quality of the product can vary depending on the quality of the original recording. (Your ability to balance a mic. Settings of the CD recorder.) How you rip it to HD can further degrade it. However I think for making a movie on your computer the quality is more than enough. The ease of getting the sound imported by ripping it off a CD has its advantages too.

Phil, You're probably right about the Shure mics. The ones I use every day are the "57's" and the "58's". I have a few AKG's of varying models and we still have a few old pieces of Audio Technica junk lying around. Our needs in the sound department are Spartain. My job is to get 'em on stage, kick the tire and light the fire. If the sound needs of the performance are more than that we call in the pros. (Gratuitous plug for Rosewood Sound from Syracuse, NY. [Big Grin] ) The "57's" are workhorse mics. They have their pitfalls but for 90% of what we do they are MORE than adequate. I have recorded off them and they have produced good results with a minimum of fuss. That's why I recommended them.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-15-2003 10:29 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, my main complaint about the 57's is their HF rise and sound coloring. As you mentioned, they are a great cost-effective workhorse.

Also, being a dynamic mic, they perform well in cold weather. Whereas the 94 is an electret condenser, it prefers a warm environment. Ummm...like me! [Razz]

Street cost for the 94 is about $190 compared to about $90 for the 57's.

>>> Phil

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 12-16-2003 06:29 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RE-20 nice mike [Smile] I did sound for a concert with Perry Como and this mike was under lock and key with my boss when it was not being used by Como. SM-57 / 58 have their "color" which several other ( Asian ) companies have knocked off. My preference is Sennheiser MD421 for dynamic and various brands of shot gun mikes from Sanken / Sennheiser and AT and beat up EV675A and AKG??? for omni use.

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2003 02:00 PM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are looking for a "good" quality cheap condenser mic that is either phantom powered or battery powered check out the Marshall MXL 1006 [URL=http://www.americanmusical.com/st/aspx/i-MAS MXL1006BPKIT/en/item.htm]clicky here[/URL] it's 30hz-20khz and decently flat and a 100 bucks! I will use them for my "portable" live-recording setup. Good sensitivity and frequency response. Also a great pair of mics, the [URL=http://www.americanmusical.com/st/aspx/i-ROD NT5/en/item.htm]Rode nt5[/URL]

But for outside use I would use a shotgun or a sensitive dynamic... like the [URL=http://www.americanmusical.com/st/aspx/i-SEN MD421II/en/item.htm]sennheiser 421[/URL] .

All of the mic's a very useful in live and studio settings - for vocal, instrumental and sound effect work. Shane, are you looking for general sound effect recordings or more specific?(birds, water, black bears...) Like randy said there are quite a few necessities, but dependent on how portable you want to be, and what your current setup is, we can find a much better setup for you!

Sean

[ 12-16-2003, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Sean M. Grimes ]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-16-2003 02:21 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
While the MXL 1006 is a great buy, it is very prone to "handling" noise, but OK with the shock mount. Also, being extremely sensitive, it picks up EVERYTHING and loud sounds oft times turn to mush. Like drums and cymbals for example.

Since there is tons of room in the case, a few guys have converted them to tube preamps with great results.

>>> Phil

Shane Hoffmann
Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2004 01:26 AM      Profile for Shane Hoffmann   Email Shane Hoffmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ended up just buying a cheap radio shack mic, but hopefully the quality is good enough. Now my question is, how can I separate the audio from a dv tape. I have Final Cut Pro 3, and I would imagine there must be a way to do it in that, but I'm still learning how to use it, so my knowledge is limited. Do I need a third party app? (I only have access to Macs).

Also for the mac-users, has anyone tried to use Garageband yet? I've played with it a little bit, but I'm not sure how to get my mic connected. I tried using a cheap 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, but it says that there isn't anything attached. I was under the impression that I wouldn't need a pre-amp to connect it, and that there was an amp emulator built in (they were talking about it on techtv, i just caught the tail end of the segment). Do I need that $20 Monster adapter that Apple sells from their site?

Thanks

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: